Please help check if the translation is correct

回覆文章
頭像
adau
文章: 14
註冊時間: 週四 3月 18, 2010 1:52 am

Please help check if the translation is correct

文章 adau »

Hi guys, long time no see. How have you been?

I need your help here. I was listening the following news report. I don't quite understand the exact meaning of the following sentences. Could you help check if my translation below is correct and kindly elaborate if my understanding is incorrect? In fact, the meaning of the following two sentences seem illogical to me. Thank you,

MICHELE DUNNE, MIDDLE EAST EXPERT, CARNEGIE ENDOWMENT: President Obama has been calling for a transition to begin now. On the other hand, we hear Secretary Clinton a couple of days ago saying we support the process laid about by Vice President Suleiman, which is not a process the opposition has agreed to at all.
總統歐巴馬一直呼籲(埃及政府)做立即的改革. 另一方面, 幾天前希拉蕊(Clinton)表示支持副總統 蘇拉曼所實行的一連串措施, 不過這些措施卻完全不是反對人士所贊成的.

STARR: There is a growing concern the man the U.S. is supporting, the new Egyptian vice president, is not on the same page
這位新的美國所支持的埃及副總統 卻與美國的意見不同調的問題正在益發受到關切.

This is the source of the above sentences: http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/studentn ... index.html

Adam
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Please help check if the translation is correct

文章 Michael-liu »

Hi, Adam

根據文章的上下前後文, 我猜這兩句話的邏輯是指:

原本美國是表示支持副總統蘇拉曼所實行的措施 => 但是後來發現他的措施不符合示威者的期待(也就是和美國不同調) => 所以There is a growing concern about 副總統蘇拉曼

至於如何的不同調, 文章下方有說:
"the Obama administration was saying that this had to be a negotiated transition, that the Egyptian government had to deal with the opposition and that the opposition had to be a partner, so to speak, in this transition. What Suleiman is offering right now is not that at all."

這樣有回答到你的問題嗎?

Michael
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

agree with Michael but, now i got a second thought..
i guess there might be a tiny difference from my comprehension ha.. 8)
最後由 Luis Ko 於 週六 2月 12, 2011 5:02 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
adau

文章 adau »

Hello Michael,

You did reply my question. Thanks a lot,
感謝你總是很即時扮演一盞明燈. :D

Adam
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Hi, Adam,

I think the translation is fine. But the title you used is a bit strange to me. I guess it should be "Please help me check the translation to see if it is correct".

On a second thought, my title seems weird, too. Now I'm lost. :roll:
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Hi, Rock

I think "Please help me check the translation" will do.

理由是"check" 已經隱涵了"to see if it is correct" 的語意, 所以寫這樣顯得語意重複

It is just my personal humble opinion

Michael
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

Hi Adam,

1. The "transition" is short for the "transition of power", and most people translate it as "權力移轉" or "政權轉移", meaning here having Mubarak stepping down right away and the country moving towards a more democratic system, as apparently most Egyptians would have it. And I'd use "方案" or "時間表" for the "process" laid about by the Vice President, which involves waiting until the election in September before any serious reform can be attempted. The Obama administration was very cautious throughout the uprising to avoid the appearance of interfering in a sovereign country's internal politics, so along the way has seemingly supported different "proposals".

2. Everyone seems to know this, but I'd go into it anyway: :wink:

"Help" takes a verb directly to indicate the thing you need help with. E.g., "In his weekly address on the radio and Internet, Obama touted steps his administration is proposing to help reduce the federal budget deficit, ..." (Feb. 12, Bloomberg)

If "help" is used as a noun, it's followed by a "to". E.g., "Ian McEwan has called for an overhaul of suicide laws to allow terminally ill patients to receive medical help to die." (Feb. 11, The Telegraph)

3. Articles and modifiers are often dropped in a title. Here "Please help check if the translation is correct" is totally fine. "Me" is grammatically correct but already implied. "Please help me check the translation to see if it is correct" is good for a sentence, but a bit long for a title. "To see if it is correct" is not necessarily redundant because you can also check if the translation is too long or too informal, etc. Last but not least, you can also opt for the shortest version: "Please check translation"! :D

Hope it helps! :wink:

Kat
頭像
adau

文章 adau »

Hi Michael, Rock, Kat,

Your opinions and instructions do help a lot. Many thanks!!

Adam
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Thank you so much, Kat. You have been very helpful. Michael, you too. :lol:
回覆文章