頭像
liwen
YOYO member
文章: 57
註冊時間: 週日 10月 04, 2009 10:20 am

哪一個翻譯比較恰當?

文章 liwen »

Dear Yoyos,

Here are some translations of a dissertation’s title.
Do you think which one is the best?
Or you have other better translations.
Please help me. :)

Liwen Chen

標題:幼教老師在職進修碩士壓力與身心健康之研究
Translation A:A Study among Preschool Teachers’ Stress from Pursuing Master Degree and Their Physical and Mental Health

Translation B:A Study of Stress and Physical and Mental Health among Preschool Teachers Pursuing Master Degree

Translation C:A Study of The Physical, Mental Health and Stress among Preschool Teachers Who Are Pursuing Master Degree
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 哪一個翻譯比較恰當?

文章 Kooper »

Hi Liwen,

I am not an expert in translation so here is just some of my ideas.

Translation A: Well, "study" is supposed to be followed by "on", "of", or "into" in this case, according to the Longman dictionary.

Translation C: I suppose the study is to investigate preschool teachers' stress when they are pursuing mater degrees and working at the same time and how the stress will impact the preschool teachers' metal and physical health. Is my understanding correct? If yes, I would put stress in front of physical and metal health because it is the focus of the study.

I would pick translation A after changing the "among" to "on" or "of."
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

文章 Georgia »

I choose "B" but revised into "A Study of Stress and Physical/Mental Health Among Preschool Teachers Pursuing Master's Degree."
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

Hi Liwen,

Dissertations (in the States) nowadays rarely bear titles with a "study" in them, probably because every dissertation IS a study on a given topic. :wink: Instead most titles go right to the heart of the research and to the questions they strive to answer - akin to book titles in many cases.

Here're some recent examples of dissertation titles:

Edina Jambor (2009)
QUALITY OF LIFE OF DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING INDIVIDUALS IN NORTHERN NEVADA

Marat Zagidullin (2009)
WHY SAFETY ASSURANCES LEAD TO HIGHER RISK PERCEPTIONS: A CONVERSATIONAL APPROACH

Steven Wandler (2010)
Moral Luck and American Fiction: Identity, Aesthetics, History

John Barnard (2011)
Icarian Exceptions: Race, Revision, and American Myth

If you can do without the "study", I'd go for:

Preschool Teachers in Graduate Program: Effects of Work Stressors on their Health and Wellness Outcome

Or, to make it interesting:

Teaching While Studying: Stressors and Wellness Factors in Graduate Program for Preschool Teachers

But if you want to keep the "study" in, I'd suggest:

A Study of Stressors, Health and Wellness of Preschool Teachers in Graduate Program

If this is for your own work, congratulations for coming this far! :D

Kat
最後由 Kat C 於 週三 5月 25, 2011 2:43 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

For "幼教老師在職進修碩士壓力與身心健康之研究", this is my translation:

A Study on Stress and Health Condition of In-service Preschool Teachers Studying for a Master's Degree
頭像
Josh
文章: 85
註冊時間: 週日 4月 24, 2011 4:42 pm

文章 Josh »

Kat C 寫:Dissertations nowadays rarely bear titles with a "study" in them
Kat
HAHA.Really??. I don't know why,

but Taiwan's graduate school love the words "A study of........." , and my title was no exception :drink:

back to the topic, I choice "A"

and kat's option, I will choice

"Teaching While Studying: Stressors and Wellness Factors in Graduate Program for Preschool Teachers" (like foreign journals' title :mrgreen: )

"A Study of Stressors, Health and Wellness of Preschool Teachers in Graduate Program" (still keep study.. 8) )
頭像
liwen
YOYO member
文章: 57
註冊時間: 週日 10月 04, 2009 10:20 am

文章 liwen »

Dear Kooper, Georgia, Kat, Sherry and Josh,

Thank you to figure out which translations are good.
Luckily this is not for my own dissertation. I already got the master degree several years ago and my dissertation was about my paintings. It wasn’t so complicate like “幼教老師在職進修碩士壓力與身心健康之研究” :mrgreen:
It’s my colleague’s work. She is suffered from translating those Chinese to English. :ccry:
I decided to offer 4 translations to let her pick.

1. A Study on Stress and Physical/Mental Health of In-Service Preschool
Teachers in Graduate Program

2. A Study on Stress and Health Condition of In-service Preschool Teachers
Studying for a Master's Degree

3. A Study of Stressors, Health and Wellness of Preschool Teachers in
Graduate Program

4. Teaching While Studying: Stressors and Wellness Factors in Graduate
Program for Preschool Teachers

It’s great to get your help. :ssmile:
Liwen Chen
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Correct me if I am wrong. In-service training or course means 在職訓練or在職訓練課程, but in-service teacher merely means 現任教師/現職教師, not 在職進修中的教師. This is the impression I got after doing all the google search and looking up the dictionary. It seems redundant for me to add "in-service" in front of the preschool teacher unless you are doing some comparison between in-service teachers and pre-service teachers, or something like that.
頭像
sophie3333
文章: 41
註冊時間: 週日 5月 23, 2010 11:59 am

文章 sophie3333 »

HI Kooper,
and liwen who works hard for a friend.
THis is Sophie.

Kooper, you did some homework my idea is : /a soldier is still in-service. means 現役軍人. But a kindergarten teacher is in-service?? You might want to ask a foreigner about the habit of their language use.

Sophie l.
回覆文章