ISG 120212 - Higher Education in U.S. At Risk (Host: Kat)

回覆文章
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

ISG 120212 - Higher Education in U.S. At Risk (Host: Kat)

文章 Kat C »

圖檔
Dear ISG members,

Happy Chinese New Year! It's been a while since I was on here. I miss you all! :drink:

I recently saw a great PBS documentary (wish I had seen it when it first came out in 05!) on America's college education. It covers different tiers of the institution and diverse student profiles. I thought it'd be perfect for a discussion!

The film is 120 minutes in length. If you're short on time, sample part 1 (only 10 minutes) for an overview. But the film is absolutely engrossing - I've since watched it two more times! It also comes with a companion book of the same title.

Here're the links:

Declining by Degrees: Higher Education at Risk

Part 1

Full length

For some viewers comments:
http://www.amazon.com/Declining-Degrees ... B000ALM40S

I'd love to learn about the state of the college eduction in Taiwan. Hope to see you on Skype, 8 pm, Sunday, Feb. 12!

Kat :D
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: ISG 120212 - Higher Education in U.S. At Risk (Host: Kat)

文章 Kooper »

Wow, this is a long piece of video clip.
I'm glad I didn't started just a day or two before the meeting, or I won't have the chance to finish it all.
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Re: ISG 120212 - Higher Education in U.S. At Risk (Host: Kat)

文章 Kat C »

Hey Kooper,

No worries! Part I will be sufficient for our discussion. The documentary highlights major problems American colleges now face: funding/tuition, student motivation, quality of teaching, class size, teacher's pay, commercialized sports programs, grades inflation, etc. I'd be interested to know if colleges in Taiwan are confronting some of the same issues. I've taught at two community colleges in the Midwest and know a bit about them.

Kat
回覆文章