11/8 Supplemental English Boot Camp! (英文魔鬼訓練營)

回覆文章
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

11/8 Supplemental English Boot Camp! (英文魔鬼訓練營)

文章 Kat C »

Dear all,

If you manage to find time for more English practice in your busy schedule, I'd like to invite you to another Yoyo supplemental boot camp. This time – likely the last one I can offer before I leave the country again – I'll make it more challenging and demanding in the true boot camp spirit. Come prepared, and ready to talk and be corrected! :D

圖檔

Three goals I've set out for the boot camp:
1. Learn how to be comfortable with “communicating while not knowing every word.”
2. Learn how to expand your vocabulary “naturally.”
3. Tackle those funky “phrasal verbs!”
This boot camp will be an all English exercise.

Time: Sunday, Nov. 8, 1 pm – 4 pm
Place: Tribu Cafe (森優咖啡), 台北市信義區崇德街74號. A room in the back. One drink minimum.

The Phrasal Verb Challenge

Not all verbs are in one word! The most useful ones are often made up of a verb and another element. How are your phrasal verbs? A good way to test your grasp of these maddening verbs is to see how many of the following 12(!) “turn” phrasal verbs you can use confidently (this part is not homework. No need to look anything up. Just a quick glance to see if you know them. 30 seconds maximum. :lol: )

turn against
turn around
turn away
turn down
turn in
turn into
turn off
turn on
turn out
turn over
turn to
turn up

Are you dizzy yet? :D And they are ALL common and useful. If you know at least 6 of them, congratulations! You are off to a good start. Note that every single one of them also goes beyond their “physical” or “literal” meaning. At this point dictionaries may just make you that much dizzier. I'll suggest another way to get a handle on them. Please do the following before you come to the boot camp.

Please prepare (yes, it's homework! :mrgreen: But just 3 phrasal verbs, not all of them):

Search in Google News the following phrasal verbs (and put them in quotation marks). The phrasal verbs will be “boldfaced” in the search results. Go through at least 3 result items and see how the phrasal verbs are used. A lot of these verbs come from sports, so look past sports news to get other usages. Try not to check with any dictionary for this exercise. Finally, pick 3 phrasal verbs you are least familiar with and make your own two-line dialogues, each using one phrasal verb. Share the dialogues at the boot camp.

Example:

Phrasal verb: account for
Google News search: “account for” (don't forget the quotation marks)

3 search result Examples: (here I picked one for each of the 3 usages)
1. (ITV News) Women now account for 25% of directors on the boards of top UK companies, but more needs to be done, according to a new report.
2. (CFA Institute Enterprising Investor) In your planning and preparation, you must account for the human factor.
3. (Toronto Sun) Teacher unions must account for millions of taxpayer dollars they received to pay for hotels, pizzas and other bargaining costs, the government now insists.

Write a dialogue:
A: She didn't bring up the budget at the meeting, did she?
B: No. But she must account for the overspending at some point.

The phrasal verb list:
This is a “common phrasal verbs you may not know” list I've put together for our regular Yoyoers. Pick 3 least familiar to you and do the above exercise.

ask around
account for (3 usages)
answer for (search “to answer for”)
bail out on
bargain for (search “bargained for”)
be taken aback (search “taken aback”)
bear out (search “borne out by”)
bring about
bring up
call for
call off
carry out
chip in
come across
(2 usages)
come down to (search “will come down to” or "all comes down to")
figure out
look to
(2 usages)
get across (search '"get across", message')
get away with
go through with
let on
let up
make for
opt in
vs. opt out
own up (search “own up to”)
pan out
pay off
(2 usages)
peter out (search “petered out”)
pitch in (search “pitch in to”)
play up vs. play down
pull through
put (something) down to (search “put it down to”)
put off (2 usages)
shake up
slip up
(v.) / slip-up (n.)
step up
top up
( v.) / top-up (n.)
weigh in (on)
wind down
wind up
work out
(3 usage)
wrap up (2 usages)

We'll also play games and do various activities at the boot camp. It'll be tough yet still fun! :D Hope to see you all at the boot camp.

圖檔
最後由 Kat C 於 週六 11月 07, 2015 10:38 am 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 11/8 Supplemental English Boot Camp! (英文魔鬼訓練營)

文章 Iris Wu »

Wow! Quite a lot to learn, just going through the listed phrasal verbs, we realized that we are never going to exhaust the to-learn list!
I will be there and hope whoever wants to learn more can joîn as well. :)
頭像
Claire3922
YOYO member
文章: 111
註冊時間: 週四 7月 26, 2007 1:08 am
來自: yoyo happy planet

文章 Claire3922 »

When I was reading THE HOMEWORK,,,my facial expression is exactly like the cat !!! Totally Shock :shock: ~~~~~HaHa !
知足喜捨,是一種幸福!
健康平安,是一種幸福!
分享共好,是一種幸福!
體驗學習,是一種幸福!
活在當下,是一種幸福!
實踐夢想,是一種幸福!
你是不是每種幸福都把握到了呀?
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Please count me in! :D
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Dear Yoyoers,

This is a long list so I suggest we work together figuring out their meanings and sentences. Here I've finished some of the phrases as following. Hope it helps. :lol:
ask around
account for (3 usages)
answer for (search “to answer for”)
bail out on
bargain for (search “bargained for”)
be taken aback (search “taken aback”)
[I was rather taken aback by her honesty/request/anger.]
bear out (search “borne out by”)
bring about
bring up
(1) [Why did you have to bring up the subject of money?]
(2) [He was brought up by his grandparents.]
call for
call off
carry out
chip in
- Agribition, Regina Hotel Association chip in $4M for new buildings (CNC News)
- Bucs asking state to chip in for stadium upgrades (Tampa Bay Business Journal)
come across (2 usages)
(1)
(2)
come down to (search “will come down to” or "all comes down to")
[It all comes down to money in the end.] [Eventually our choice of hotel will come down to how much we can afford.]
figure out
look to (2 usages)
(1)
(2)
get across (search '"get across", message')
get away with
go through with
let on
let up
make for
- MEC basketball: Could NCAA rules make for more offense? (Charleston Gazette-Mail)
- Doughnuts and dads make for a fun event at Greenfield Elementary (hometownlife)
- Letters: Trade skills make for viable career path (Palm Beach Post)
opt in vs. opt out
own up (search “own up to”)
pan out
- Will Kroger's New Growth Strategy Pan Out? (Seeking Aplha)
- How the game will pan out as Liverpool look to impress at Tottenham? (FourFourTwo)
- Ex-Giants receiver Amani Toomer doesn't think any of Eagles' Chip Kelly's moves have panned out (NJ)
pay off (2 usages)
(1) [Ex: All his hard work paid off in the end, and he finally passed the exam.]
(2)
peter out (search “petered out”)
- Ticket sales for "Pan" peter out at the box office (Korea JoongAng Daily)
- The Eagles have a tendency to start off strong but peter out as the season wears on and that may prove to be their greatest enemy. (Today's Zaman)
pitch in (search “pitch in to”)
play up vs. play down
pull through
put (something) down to (search “put it down to”)
put off (2 usages)
(1) [I put off going to the doctor but I wish I hadn't.]
(2)
shake up
slip up (v.) / slip-up (n.)
step up
[The health department is stepping up efforts to reduce teenage smoking.] [He has stepped up his training to prepare for the race.] [Following the bomb explosion, security has been stepped up at the airport.]
top up ( v.) / top-up (n.)
weigh in (on)
wind down
[They are winding down their operations abroad because they're losing money.] [The Federal Reserve began winding down its $85 billion-a-month bond-buying program.]
wind up
[If he carries on like this he's going to wind up in prison.] [You don't want to wind up homeless, do you?]
work out (3 usage)
(1)
(2)
(3)
wrap up (2 usages)
(1) [We're hoping to wrap up the negotiations this week.] [to wrap up a meeting/speech/the regular season]
(2) Have you wrapped up Jenny’s present yet?
最後由 Kooper 於 週六 11月 07, 2015 4:35 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 6 次。
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hi Kooper,

Wow. Amazing work!!! And no worries about going through them all. You just need to pick 3 phrasal verbs to do the exercise.

I'd really like for all of you to just "GOOGLE NEWS" search the phrasal verbs without using any dictionaries, though. It's a way of learning by context.

So glad you'll be there. See you then! :D

Kat
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hi Claire,

Isn't the cat cute? :lol: Please just pick 3 phrasal verbs to work on. No need to do them all.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Kat
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Kat C 寫: I'd really like for all of you to just "GOOGLE NEWS" search the phrasal verbs without using any dictionaries, though. It's a way of learning by context.
Oops, I didn't get your instructions right and almost spoiled your plan. :? I just removed all the definitions and only kept the sentences there.

Here is the first pair of verbs that I chose, following your way: :wink:
Opt in vs Opt out
- CU researchers find some docs dismiss families who opt out of vaccines
- More than anticipated opt out of BGE smart meters, fee could be lowered
- A showdown for Zack Greinke’s services between the two National League West rivals may be looming now that the strong Cy Young Award candidate has opted out of his Dodgers contract and become a free agent.
- ICYDN: You can legally opt out of ObamaCare
- Victorian community solar bulk-buy scheme extended, as hundreds opt in
- The New Xbox One Experience should now be available to all preview members who opted in as of today.

A: China Telecom’s new 4G all-you-can-eat data service is such a bargain. I am gonna opt out of my current one.
B: Maybe I should opt in too. Last month my phone bill was awful.
shake up
- Outmoded university system needs to be shaken up (Telegraph)
- Three developments this week that could shake up the race (Washington Post)
- A tip-free restaurant might shake up Las Vegas (Las Vegas Review Journal)

A: The new math teacher has shaken up our class with refreshing teaching method.
B: Sure he is. Even I start to like math.
pitch in
- In the aftermath of Wednesday's tornado, volunteers pitched in to help city workers clean up Sand Springs parks Saturday. (2)
- Our neighbors in the Western Pacific are still recovering from a devastating Typhoon earlier this month, and on Saturday, local businesses pitched in to help. (KHON2)
- STUDENTS have pitched in to help beautify Bargara by collecting rubbish from the foreshore.(NewsMail)

A: Janet is moving tomorrow. Do you wanna pitch in to help her packing?
B: I'd love to help. When will it start?
weigh in on sth
- Mississippians Weigh In On Controversial House Bill 1523
- Public invited to weigh in on RAD rezoning plan
- Top Scientists Weigh In On Whether We All Live In A Hologram
最後由 Kooper 於 週五 4月 08, 2016 8:36 am 編輯,總共編輯了 6 次。
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hi Kooper,

Thanks for being such a good sport. :D

Just one more reminder: please bring 3 DIALOGUES to the meeting, each with a different phrasal verb. We will try to act out some of the dialogues. Just two lines for each dialogue (A&B).

Example (with "opt out"):
A: Hey, Kat, if I come to the boot camp, can I opt out of the acting session?
B: Don't even think about it!

(Ha ha. :lol: )

圖檔
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Nice Examples, Kat!
Yeah, we all wish we could opt out of the poster presentation! :)

Just want to say one thing, for boot camp, I think we can be more focused on learning the methods and picking up Kat's brain about the good resources for learning better English and how to avoid the "fossilized errors", etc.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Thank you Kat for putting on such a great boot camp! It panned out fantastically well. I believe as long as we hone in on the methods and resources that Kat had tried to get across, good improvements in our English skills are on the horizon. :D

I finally went through the messy notes that I jotted down before my memory totally peters out. Here you are with a few words mentioned or used in the boot camp.

click [vi]
Usage One:
- Huskies Click to Crush Maine 100-56 In Season Opener
- Will Ohio State finally click when its real season begins vs. Michigan State?
Usage Two:
- Stores taking steps to click with online shoppers
- Local travel sites click big with Lat Am and Chinese tourists.

hopping [adj]
- City is hopping with Easter events for all ages

follow up / follow-up [n]

brownie points
- A new opinion poll shows the party has so far failed to win any brownie points with the public, despite its major input into the budget.
- Jate Bosworth earns major brownie points with stepdaughter thanks to Taylor Swift

commit something to memory

home in on something
- “The best thing about the farm is the model it sets for greater change,” Goldstein said in the written release. “The farm is a crucial part of our education as Bardians, as it helps us really hone in on the way our economy, our environment and our society are linked.”

on the horizon
- Is a Russia-Turkey war on the horizon after airspace ‘breaches?’

layover

two peas in a pod
- The US and China are economically two peas in a pod
- Opposites attract. Birds of a feather flock together. Are you and your mate like two peas in a pod or as different as chalk and cheese?

brush up on something / brush something up

moped = scooter

secret lover vs mistress
回覆文章