1/10(Tue)Is technology doing you more harm than good(Julian)

回覆文章
頭像
Julian
文章: 733
註冊時間: 週三 1月 07, 2004 12:06 am
來自: Taipei

1/10(Tue)Is technology doing you more harm than good(Julian)

文章 Julian »

IS TECHNOLOGY DOING YOU MORE HARM THAN GOOD?
-by Ethan Waldman
Refer to the link:http://paidtoexist.com/is-technology-do ... than-good/

“We live in an extraordinary time” – Fernando Flores

I have often thought about that quote and how it rings true throughout many aspects of my life. If I really try to get to the bottom of it, I find the most extraordinary of our current time is the pace, availability, and sheer diversity of the technology that’s out there.

There’s technology for communicating, selling, socializing. Mobile technology, microtechnology, technology built into our thermostat. Our refrigerators can connect to the internet, and we can brew coffee with the touch of a button.

The Technology Paradox

As a technology coach, I’m faced with a paradox: That technology can often does more harm than good. I could sit at my desk, and sign up for a new web 2.0 service every single day and never get anything done.

In fact, there’s one technology that we all use (pretty much without exception) that is wreaking havoc in some of our lives. I’ll spill the beans later in the article, for now, I want you to just think about it.

What does this mean for you? Well, you need to be somewhat guarded about the technology you let in to your life. Even something simple as getting an iPhone can be a slippery slope of distraction for people. You need a lens– A filter to help you decide what gets adopted and what gets passed by.

Technology Accelerators

When I’m working with clients, I use a concept called Technology Accelerators to help them pick and use the technology that they allow into their lives. I borrowed this concept from an unlikely source: A corporate-y business book from 2001 called Good To Great. In it, author Jim Collins looks at several companies that he considers to be “great” and examine what led to their transformation while their competitors merely remained “good”.

While the book was wildly popular with the CEO and upper-management types, I’ve found it to be equally applicable to my own small business and beyond in my life.

In a nutshell, Technology Accelerators means that you only adopt technologies that directly support your core mission. That you do not simply turn to new technology as a panacea for what is wrong with your life or business. Instead, you must first determine what it is you need from technology so you can actually get it. Call it mindfulness for the digital age.

Collins says that the ideal approach to new technology is Pause — Think — Crawl — Walk — Run.

The next time you’re considering signing up for some new website or buying some new gadget, pause first. How does this support my core mission? What problem does this promise to solve? Then really think about it. Compare your options. Look at the features. Think about it.

Seems good? Crawl: Now slowly begin to implement. Don’t go all in. Still good? Push it a little further. Enjoying huge benefits? Go for it. You’re running now. At any point in the process if things don’t work out, you can stop.

But if you go straight from Pausing to Running, you may find yourself stuck with something that’s expensive, outdated, or not right for you with a big commitment to keep using it.

What about that dangerous technology I mentioned earlier?

It’s email. Yes, email.

We all use it. Only some of us get as much value out of it than we put in. For many business owners, their email inbox is an epicenter of disorganization, missed commitments, and a to-do list all wrapped into one.

How to turn email into a Technology Accelerator

Email has become such a problem for people, that I’ve developed a teachable system to help people get a handle on their inboxes. I want to share with the Illumiated Mind community. My system is based on the principals that:

Living with a cluttered inbox is a choice
Most of the manual work of organization in your inbox can be automated (yes, as in it happens automatically)
There is no volume of email that is unmanageable.
Want to find out more? I’m running a free webinar on Thursday called Automated Inbox Mastery. I’d love to help you get a handle on your inbox, so you email can go from being a time waster to a technology accelerator.

Using the Technology Accelerators concept before you dive into a new piece of technology will help you avoid the bad technology and only allow the good into your life.

In the comments: I’ll bet if you look around the room you’re sitting in right now, you’ll see at least one piece of technology that is no longer serving you. What is it? Better yet, how will you avoid making a similar mistake in the future?

Suggested questions for Session I:
1.What is Good technology and bad technology in ones daily lives? Please share your ideas and reasons.
2.Have you ever notice any harm from using technology? Do you ever try to prevent certain kinds of technology to get into your lives?
3.Do you support the idea that you only adopt technologies that directly support your core mission, rather than simply turn to new technology as a panacea for what is wrong with your life or business?
4.The article says that the ideal approach to new technology is Pause — Think — Crawl — Walk — Run. Do you think this can be applied into your situation?
5.Have you ever wondering that email can be a dangerous technology to you? How is your inbox? Any tips or advice in well managing emails please share with us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Session II

In session II, we are going to broaden the range further into the CP value in adopting various new technologies. The CP value could be related to money, your valuable time, physical strength or personal feelings.

Suggested questions for Session II:
1.Firstly, are you those kind of people who is bearing the concept of CP value in trying new things? What is your concern in adopting new technologies.
2.Sometimes people are paying more for what they wanted rather than what they needed. How do you think? and how about you?
3.What kinds of new tech/invention you are willing to pay in high price and wish to see in the near future?
4.Recently, I have been watching some stories on TV about people who seeking their lives in Alaska. Do you think you can live a simple life without modern technology just like those who live in wildness? If the answer is no, is that because the CP value is relatively low to you?
5.How do we maintain a good balance between modern technology and living quality?

**************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
**************************************************************************************************************************************************
Remark:
1. To new friends/visitors, please prepare one to three mins of self-introduction.
2. To achieve good discussion experience and quality, please read through all content, questions and think about them in advance.
3. If you are interested in joining our regular meetings, currently the membership fee is NTD$1000 and it's basically a lifelong payment.

聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請於 7:00 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 TEL:(02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請儘量自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
銀藍色.象牙海岸的月光~雀躍著沉寂中的寧靜..
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 1/10(Tue)Is technology doing you more harm than good(Jul

文章 Rock »

Those who think life would be better without technology are super humans. We cannot survive like they do. At least it's not for me. (Julian may make it. ) :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

I would say the greatest technological invention of our time is flush toilet. I really can't live without it. Salute to the inventor!
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

if it wasn't because of the invention of "line" and facebook kind of interface, i really liked instant messengers very much, because it was absolutely a good tool for me to talk to my crush without feeling embarrassed or what. but now, what i always see is read, without reply.. :ccry:

it hurts, if not harms.. XD
最後由 Luis Ko 於 週二 1月 10, 2017 10:03 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

I know what you mean. It hurts, and harms, too. Time to quit the nonsense and face the music--- get a life (or wife). :lol: You know what I mean.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Julian
文章: 733
註冊時間: 週三 1月 07, 2004 12:06 am
來自: Taipei

文章 Julian »

Ha~ Hurt without harm..that's a good quote. :wink:
You guys are right! There are so many convenience could be hard to live without. However, if you can do it, what else can't you do? :lol:
銀藍色.象牙海岸的月光~雀躍著沉寂中的寧靜..
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Rock 寫:Time to quit the nonsense and face the music--- get a life (or wife). :lol: You know what I mean.
... or a knife?

I was kidding la........ Orz
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

a knife!? ok, at least it rhymes.. XD
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

We should be very careful about this lady. She is too good.
回覆文章