2/14 (Tue.) Fake it until you make it (Host: Rock)

回覆文章
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

2/14 (Tue.) Fake it until you make it (Host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

Interactive transcript: https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_you ... anguage=en
Your body language shapes who you are

https://www.moo.com/blog/2016/04/05/ted ... o-you-are/

Body language comes first
Amy is a celebrated social psychologist, Harvard professor and body language expert. She believes nonverbal communication impacts the way we see and judge each other and impacts things like who we hire or promote.

Dominance
One of the key things body language communicates is dominance. In the animal kingdom, power is conveyed through expanding, becoming bigger…think of a gorilla standing tall, beating its chest. And humans do the same thing (well, almost the same thing). Those in power tend to stand taller, their posture is straight with shoulders back. When we feel powerless we do exactly the opposite; our shoulders slump and we look towards the floor. We make ourselves smaller.

We complement each other

When interacting with another person, we naturally complement the other person’s nonverbal communication. So if the other person is being really powerful and big, you will tend to make yourself smaller. We don’t mirror them. We do the opposite of them.

The science bit
Amy’s research found that powerful people were more confident and calm in stressful situations because they had higher levels of a “dominance” hormone (testosterone) and lower levels of a “stress” hormone (cortisol) in their brains than others people. She conducted an experiment to discover whether changing body language could alter the levels of these hormones and change not just our behaviour, but the way we feel. Participants were asked to adopt high-power or low power poses for two minutes and then asked how powerful they felt and supply a saliva sample.

Pose for power (in just two minutes)
She found that adopting a power pose for two minutes altered the levels of these hormones in our brains significantly, and impacted behaviour as a result. Result.

But the question on the tip of your tongue is, can power posing work in real life? When this was tested in a stressful job interview setting, each participant who practised the high power pose were seen as successful candidates by assessors, regardless of the qualifications or experience of participants who practised a low power pose. They had more presence and confidence than the other candidates.

Two-minute tweaks = big changes
The key message here is that tiny tweaks can lead to big changes. So before you go into the next stressful situation (e.g. a pitch meeting), find a private space, take two minutes to get into a power pose for two minutes and to reconfigure your brain. You’ll get your testosterone up and get your cortisol down. Don’t leave that situation feeling like, oh, I didn’t show them who I am. Leave that situation feeling like, I really feel like I got to say who I am and show who I am.

…Go get ‘em tiger!

Questions:

Session One
1. We all do power poses to encourage ourselves; Ms. Cuddy's ideas seem nothing new. Then, why is this talk one of the most popular ones of all time on TED? What makes her ideas stand out?
1.1 Do you agree that "...our bodies change our minds and our minds can change our behavior, and our behavior can change our outcomes."?
1.2 What do you feel when she mentions about the girl student who were "not supposed to be here" and finally "gave the best comment ever"?

2. What is power? Are you a person of power? What do you do to become more powerful?
2.1 Who is the most powerful person in Yoyo? Why?

3. Is power-posing useful? Do you need it at work? What kind of jobs require power-posing? Are there any companies put power-posing into practice or even have a culture of it? How do they do it?

4. What is the limit of power-posing? Do you believe that "...in a stressful job interview setting, each participant who practiced the high power pose were seen as successful candidates by assessors, regardless of the qualifications or experience of participants who practiced a low power pose."? Why and why not?

Session Two
5. Besides power posing, what body language or nonverbals do you know? Please follow the worksheet (yes, we're going to work with a sheet :lol: ) and think of as many as you can. Show us some of them and let the others guess the meanings in the presentation.
5.1 Which nonverbals are your favorites? Do you use them?

6. In some cases, "fake it until you make it" may be recommended as a therapy technique for combating depression. Do you agree? How would you make it into practice? For example, would you join a laughter yoga club?

7. What is an impostor? What do you feel when you see an impostor? Do you feel indifferent, interested, disapproving, disgusted, cheated, hurt, angry, shocked, alerted, skeptical, or simply amused? Would you tell your friends stop doing it if you find them imposing?

聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 與會者請自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請務必先看過演講影片,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

Re: 2/14 (Tue.) Fake it until you make it (Host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

The Laughter Yoga CNN
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Who is the most powerful person in YoYo? I would say Wen-Han. Why? Because he takes "a lot of space" when he is present! :)
(I mean Wen-Han stands and talks with every power pose suggested by Amy Cuddy so naturally! )
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

No wonder I feel the room gets smaller whenever he is there. :shock:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Thank you all for coming. We've got Wendy, Shirley, Michael, Cindy, Amy, Sabrina, Ryan, Sherry, Tom, Liwen, Wenhan, Steve, Yvonne, Jason, Luis, Jessica. Happy Valentine's Day.
回覆文章