201702 Book Reading - "The Glass Castle"

Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Hi, boys and girls, we've renewed our affiliated study group into "the Affiliated Reading Group".(thanks to Kooper's help!)
The book we're reading now is "the Glass Castle". It's chosen by Iris, and you know her pick is always smart. Please feel free to join us.
You can buy the book or borrow it in a library. Or you can download the free pdf at http://droppdf.com/v/kIPgs
-- by 2017 President Rock

"The Glass Castle" (by Jeannette Walls)
  • - Publisher: Scribner
    - Book Sources: Paper and e-Edition (Kindle & others. Personally I like eBook edition, you can check dictionary on the spot and write eNotes when reading.)
    - Reading Period: 2/11/17 - 3/31/17
    - Progress Review Schedule:
    • 1) The First Check Point: 2/18 [pp. 1-90] --> Changed to 6:00pm, 2/21 (Tuesday)

Following will be held online (Skype): at 8pm, every Wednesday:
      2) The Second Check Point: 3/1 [pp. 91-140]
      3) The Third Check Point: 3/8 [pp. 141-190]
      4) The Forth Check Point: 3/15 [pp. 191-240]
      5) The Fifth Check Point: 3/22 [pp. 241-290]
      6) Final Review: 4/1 [pp. 291-342]
    ****** Above page numbers are based on e-edition book. *****
    ****** If you are using the downloaded PDF file, please find the corresponding page number on file. The reading schedule is 1/5 of the remaining pages at each check point.******
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 201702 Book Reading - "The Glass Castle"

文章 Rock »

Hi, Iris, thank you so much for "squeezing" time for this reading group; we know you're "busily retired". But, I cannot think of anyone who can do it better, so just have to put your leadership here again. Actually, it's Catherine who told me, and also motivated me to make it happen. So, I am also one of the scapegoats. :lol:
Talking about e-books, one thing I like it so much is that it can really help you study. As you mentioned, checking the vocabulary, taking notes, and other stuff is much easier to do in front of a computer. BTW, have you heard "quizlet"? It's a tool that I use to study vocabulary. Gotta share it more with you guys later.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

Re:201702 Book Reading - "The Glass Castle"

文章 Iris Wu »

Some quick notes about "The Glass Castle":

What is the book about?
"The Glass Castle is a 2005 memoir by Jeannette Walls. The book recounts the unconventional, poverty-stricken upbringing Walls and her siblings had at the hands of their deeply dysfunctional parents.
The memoir spent a total of 261 weeks on The New York Times Best Seller list. "

A same name film is planned in production this year: [The Glass Castle - IMDB 2017]
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2378507/

A brief YouTube introduction (3 minutes) by the author, Jeannette Wall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW0XVno-0gM

Weekly Progress Review:
The First Check Point: 2/18 [pp. 1-90]
Suggested questions:
1) What do you think about Jeannette's parents?
2) Which event in Jeannette's childhood astonished you the most?
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

Re:201702 Book Reading - "The Glass Castle"

文章 Rock »

Hi, Captain, it's good to have check points so we can refresh our memories from time to time. My feedback (心得? How do you say it in English?) up to now is:

At first, it seems like a modern female Chen Shihmae story-- She feels ashamed for her mother and even avoided her, when the mother was scavenging in a dumpster, on the way to a party. But things coming up get more interesting: the burning accident, the clean hospital, the chewing gum and the broken-headed brother.... Now I think her parents are weird.

The part I like the best: of course it's the cat grabbed by the scruff. :lol:

My question is: What do you guys feel up to now? Do you feel it's funny, shocking, sad or a little bit boring.
And, a question asked previously, why is it called "putty-colored" gum. What's putty?
** sugar daddy, cathouse
** We were always supposed to pretend our life was one long and incredibly fun adventure.
** empty promise
?? spinning like a top
?? How do you say 心得 in English?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hey, the artificial intelligence of this forum just helped me arrange my questions! Amazing! :lol:
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Haha! I thought I could 偷天換日 and get away from "being accused for manipulating" the forum contents, but I underestimated Rock's 法眼!!!

I consolidated the book reading threads into two:
  • One for “2017 book reading kickoff”: general
    One for “The Glass Castle”: specifically for the book
Sorry for not asking permission first! Hope you don't mind, Mr. President! :)

So far, I like the book because the author uses very direct and simple statements to describe the facts and events happened in her childhood through a 3-4 years old girl’s eyes and mind. She did not judge or use sophisticated adjectives, just plain quotes of the language and the explanation of her parents. That leaves a lot of room for readers to feel, to think and to judge freely.

The life was “harsh” in most people’s standard and probably very few parents would “educate” their children that way in modern society, but to be honest, so far, I still don’t feel her parents were “wrong”. You do feel they were using all kinds of “excuses” to rationalize their behavior, but I still admire the love that they held the family together.

The best part I like so far is Jeannette fell out of the car and nobody noticed it, until her Dad came back to pick her up. The way she described made me burst into laughter, but the next second I was almost feeling tears in my eyes. I felt the pain.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Well, I'm thankful for the automatic editing; I'd like to remind our captain to avoid possible spoilers, though. :cry:
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Due to the make-up working day, YoYo does not have meeting on Saturday, 2/18, so our first book review session has been re-scheduled to Tuesday, 2/21. We will meet around 6:00pm, right before our regular meeting.
For people who cannot make it to the review session, and would like to have a chat, please feel free to drop a line here or send me a private message. We can arrange a chat some other time.

Weekly Progress Review:
The First Check Point: 2/21 [pp. 1-90]
Suggested questions:
1) How much have you read? Which page/section are you in now? Is this the first English novel you read? How do you feel about the book so far?
2) What do you think about Jeannette's parents?
3) Which event in Jeannette's childhood astonished you the most?
4) Bring your own questions about the book and any suggestions for our book reading practice.

Thank You and Happy Reading!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

I definitely will bring my questions there. And I have a lot of them. :shock:
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Attention: "The Glass Castle" Readers:

Progress Review Schedule:
1) The First Check Point: 2/18 [pp. 1-90] --> Changed to 6:00pm, 2/21 (Tuesday)
2) The Second Check Point: 2/25 [pp. 91-185]
3) The Third Check Point: 3/4 [pp. 186-269]
4) Final Review: 3/14 [pp. 270-341]
****** Above page numbers are based on e-edition book. *****
****** If you are using the downloaded PDF file, please find the corresponding page number on file. The reading schedule is 1/4 of the book each check point.******
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Just a reminder for our first book reading review tomorrow (Tuesday, 2/21) before our regular meeting at Dante:

The First Check Point: 2/21 [pp. 1-90 on eBook, or 1/4 of the book in PDF file]
Suggested questions to discuss:
  • 1) How much have you read? Which page/section are you in now? Is this the first English novel you read? How do you feel about the book so far?
    2) What do you think about Jeannette's parents?
    3) Which event in Jeannette's childhood astonished you the most?
    4) Bring your own questions about the book and any suggestions for our book reading practice.
The quotes/statements I highlighted in the book:
  • - Mom frowned at me, "You'd be destroying what makes it special," she said. "It's the Joshua tree's struggle that gives it its beauty." (p.45)
    - We laughed about all the kids who believed in the Santa myth and got nothing for Christmas but a bunch of cheap plastic toys. "Years from now, when all the junk they got is broken and long forgotten," Dad said, "you'll still have your stars." (p.49)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

As I'm reading up to now, I hate their parents, but sometimes I love them, too. And I just found out that the Night Owl Club is a real place. (And the Green Lantern, too :oops: .)
圖檔
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

First Review on 2/21:
Attendees: JD, Shirley, Rock, and Iris

Thanks for everyone's inputs!
We spent some time to exchange our thoughts on our reading practice and decided following:
  • Extend the reading period to 3/31.
    For anyone who are thinking to join, it is never too late! We still have more than 5 weeks to finish the book.
    Final Discussion: Saturday, 4/1. (Yeah, April Fools’ Day – but we mean it! We will have a proper ending! :) )
    • Weekly Progress Review schedule:
    • o Meet online at 8pm, every Wednesday on Skype
      o Reading schedule: Please divide the pages left to be finished into 5 parts
    Following are eBook or hard copy book page numbers. For PDF file, please use 1/5 for each remaining week.
    •  3/1: pp 92– 140
       3/8: pp 141–190
       3/15: pp 191–240
       3/22: pp 241–290
       3/31: pp 291–342
Progress review activities:
  • o Each person recites (read aloud = 朗讀) 2-3 their favorite paragraphs in the book
    o Share the vocabulary and idioms we’ve learned
    o Questions discussion
New Vocabulary and Idioms Learning and sharing:
  • o Each of us takes around 10 pages each week: Lookup dictionary and share the new vocabulary/idioms on the forum.
    o For 3/1/17 meeting:
    •  JD: pp 91-101; Shirley: pp 102-112; Rock: 113-123; Iris: 124-140
       Please write what you learn on the forum.
       If you have anything in your notes for the first 90 pages, please feel free to share that on the forum.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

My pdf doesn't have correct page numbers. Would you give me some clues about what's happening on p.113 and p.123 so I can do my job? Thank you. :?
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Rock 寫:As I'm reading up to now, I hate their parents, but sometimes I love them, too. And I just found out that the Night Owl Club is a real place. (And the Green Lantern, too :oops: .)
Yeah, their home at "93 Little Hobart St. Welch, WV" is real, too. But not sure if the house still exists, Google map could not see clearly, it might look like this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-n6ffhf15k7o/U ... NY1517.JPG

Not so interesting as Green Lantern, for sure. :wink:
回覆文章