YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

3/7 The future of Money (Host: Yvonne)

文章 Rock »

The future of Money
by Neha Narula, Currency futurist

https://www.ted.com/talks/neha_narula_t ... e_of_money

Hi there. I am glad to be the host for Yoyo for the first time. I am not quite sure what will interest you guys but I do find the article interesting so I hope to learn with you.

Like most of you, I feel uncertain about the technological development in the future; however, it will make our life better optimistically. I am the old-fashioned type of person in the society. I do not usually shop on line or have an electronic banking
account. Maybe it is time to think about opening one soon after reading the article. Hope you can share your opinions too in the discussions. Thank you.

Neha Narula is helping redefine the future of money by researching cryptocurrencies and providing clarity on how digital currencies will transform our world.

Here is her text:

I want to tell you about the future of money. Let's start with a story about this culture that lived in Micronesia in the early 1900s, called the Yap. Now, I want to tell you about the Yap because their form of money is really interesting. They use these limestone discs called Rai stones. Now, the Yap don't actually move these Rai stones around or exchange them the way we do with our coins, because Rai stones can get to be pretty massive. The largest is about four tons and 12 feet across. So the Yap just keep track of who owns part of what stone.

There's a story about these sailors that were transporting a stone across the ocean when they ran into some trouble and the stone actually fell in. The sailors got back to the main island and they told everyone what had happened. And everyone decided that, actually, yes, the sailors had the stone and — why not? — it still counted. Even though it was at the bottom of the ocean, it was still part of the Yap economy.
.... Please follow the link to have the full scripts.https://www.ted.com/talks/neha_narula_t ... anguage=en

Questions

Session I

1. What is digital money? Do you ever have an account of electronic money? What is the device you use?
2. Do you prefer digital money to banknotes or paper money? Or the opposite? Please state at least three reasons that you like or dislike either of the monetary forms.
3. Which monetary form is safer, the digital or paper? What reason makes you think it secure or risky?
3.1 What would you do if your bank account had been hacked and all your money was gone? Is it possible to destroy the whole digital monetary system of a country? Who is responsible for the money lost? The bank, the government, or nobody? How can we be prepared in case it does happen?
4. Do you think Taiwan will become a country without banknotes? When will that be?

Session II

1. Are you a mobile or electronic game player? Have you ever heard cryptocurrencies before? What do you think of them? Will you ever try to use them?
2. Which is more risky, the electronic money or the cryptocurrencies? Why? Which is more convenient? Give your reasons.
3. Do you think you will save more or the same as usual in your electronic wallets or you prefer to keep a banking account by deposit books rather than untouchable money?
4. What are some famous cryptocurrencies? Please name a few if you can, such as the most popular bitcoins? If you are not a virtual game player, do you think you can buy bitcoins? How to complete the transaction? How to make sure you keep the bitcoins?
5. Can you imagine a world of programmable money? Will that be a good or bad thing to the world? Please share your opinions with your group.

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:55pm Discussion Session (45 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:20pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:20 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (45 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:20pm Summarization (15 mins)
9:20 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元
注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

Re: 3/7 The future of Money (Host: Yvonne)

文章 Rock »

For question 2 in session one, my answer is real money. The reasons are:
1. It makes you happy whenever you look at your fat wallet.
2. You don't need to be plugged to a machine to spend it.
3. It makes a red envelop look like a red envelop. You can hold it in your hand and give it to someone as a present.
4. When you're looking for some illegal fun, you want to pay cash. Illegal institutes don't accept credit cards. But, maybe they accept Bitcoin?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

For session I question 2, my answer is electronic money. The reasons are:
1) I don't want to be a dinosaur in 21st century (refer to the previous responder :lol: )
2) I can trace where my husband spent his money
3) I don't feel so bad when I need to give money away (it's just a line of message, not a big stack of paper money, which will kill you when you see them gone... )

The above statements are joking. I am still trying to figure out what the cryptocurrency is and how exactly it works.... Thanks, Yvonne, for this backbreaking assignment! :)
Yvonne99
YOYO member
文章: 12
註冊時間: 週四 12月 10, 2015 10:40 pm

文章 Yvonne99 »

:D Haha. It took me some time to re-enter the forum because I forgot how to login into the website. So, maybe I am kind of living in the dinosaur age for I hate to login and out with the password thing. :( Bad memory.
As I am so weak with the computer operation, I put myself in a dilemma to choose the topic for March 7. However, it is fun to get to know that the new technology. Luckily, the programmable money has not yet been popular. I like to use paper or electronic money on different occasions. However, if there is more convenient way to do the transactions and transfer, then it is time to turn over a new leaf.
Here is interesting part of the news coverage that I like to ponder:

--The Danish government has proposed that most stores could dump their cash registers from January 2016. Essential services, such as hospitals, pharmacies and post offices, would still have to accept cash under the plan, which is some way from becoming law. Denmark, with its Scandinavian neighbors Norway and Sweden, is leading the global trend towards electronic money. Business groups point to benefits such as reduced handling and transport costs, increased security and a drop in attempts to steal cash.--CNN new June 2, 2015
-- Norway's central bank unveiled the nation's new bank notes on Tuesday and it doesn’t take a super keen observer to see what is different about them. For the very first time in the nation's history, Norway's bank notes will not be adorned with portraits. Instead, the bills pay homage to Norway’s tight bonds with the sea. The 50 kroner note features a lighthouse modelled after the Utvær lighthouse in Solund that is the nation’s westernmost point. The 100 kroner note displays Norway’s largest preserved Viking ship, the Gotskund, while the 200 kroner bill shows a large cod backed by herring and a fishing net. In debuting the notes for the very first time, Norges Bank touted that “they have already been called ‘the world's most beautiful bank notes’.”--The Local 22 November 2016

Let's chat and have a good time in "talking money" tonight.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hi, Yvonne, welcome to the forum. You are one of the best writers here in Yoyo, please write more so we can share our ideas. As you can see, the number of your posts is 3, which is 422 behind Iris' and.... Don't care about me, check out Kooper's number. :lol:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

It was cold. It was rainy. But Yvonne's first hosting turned out to be very successful. We learned new things and had fun. Many thanks again. People here tonight are: Rock, Chris, Eileen, Laura, JD, Shirley, Cindy, Amy, Janice, Yvonne (host), Ken, Wenhan, Carrie, Tashi, Morris, Ramesh, Julian. Nice to see you all here and see you again.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Rock 寫:Hi, Yvonne, welcome to the forum. You are one of the best writers here in Yoyo, please write more so we can share our ideas. As you can see, the number of your posts is 3, which is 422 behind Iris' and.... Don't care about me, check out Kooper's number. :lol:
I don't need Bitcoin calculator to know that I am 1000 behind Rock and probably 2000 behind Kooper! :ccry:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

How do you say "灌水" in English?
回覆文章