5/16(Tue)Left vs. Right-Brained? Myth Debunked?(Host:Eileen)

回覆文章
Eileen
YOYO member
文章: 7
註冊時間: 週二 3月 07, 2017 11:58 pm

5/16(Tue)Left vs. Right-Brained? Myth Debunked?(Host:Eileen)

文章 Eileen »

Dear friends,

As a human being, we desire to know ourselves better, to understand people more. We have been trying so hard to figure out who we are so we are able to get along with people easily, to love and be loved and at the same time make our life beautiful. :ssmile: right? So let's take a look on our brain first. Please enjoy the articles and video below. :wink:
(Video)Do We Have Left or Right Brain Personalities?
Left Brain vs Right Brain Dominance: The Surprising Truth
Left-Brained vs. Right-Brained? Myth Debunked

[Session one]

1. Why is the idea of being left-brained or right-brained a myth and outdated? How do you look at it now?

2. Please guess your discussion partners' brains and make a list. Are they more left-brained or right-brained according to the old brain theory? Then, share your lists with everybody and see who makes the most accurate observation.

3.Have you ever heard people describe you as right-brained or left-brained thinker? what do you think is the reason? or which one do you think you are?

4. Are Left-Handed People Smarter than right-handed ? what is your opinion? What can we do to keep our brain sharp? For example, Try brushing your teeth , or opening doors with non-dominant hand.

SMALL GAME TIME

[Session two]

1.Share what you have on your paper for game time.

2. Are you good at painting, drawing, or any art-related subjects? Are you talented or trained? Do you agree that creativity can be learned? How can we be more creative?

3.What is the importance of critical and creative thinking? how will you use critical and creative thinking in everyday life?

Want to know more? Certainty, I have prepared for you.
Using your 'other' hand benefits your brain
What's the Difference Between the Right and Left Brain?
多聽音樂促進右腦開發?左右腦真的大不同嗎?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:55pm Discussion Session (45 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:20pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:20 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (45 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:20pm Summarization (15 mins)
9:20 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元
注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。
5. 正式會員資格取得:Yoyo行政團隊視情況發送正式會員邀請函。獲邀加入者,可於繳交終生會費 NT$1,000後成為Yoyo正式會員。
最後由 Eileen 於 週一 5月 15, 2017 6:52 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 5/16(Tue)Left vs. Right-Brained? Myth Debunked?(Host:Eil

文章 Rock »

I'm a right-brainer because I'm not good at math. Wait, my English sucks, which means the right brain doesn't work, either. Maybe I'm a no-brainer? :shock:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

wow~ it's Eileen's debut as a meeting host in yoyo. good topic i would say, if not great. and you can tell she is a hardworking girl by the posting time of the article. (big claps)
i'm really looking forward to it la~ :D

by the way, Rock says he is a no-brainer, which means he is super smart so that everything to him is easy and simple, just a piece of cake la~ that's real no-brainer haa!! and being a skeptic i should have said i didn't believe in left or right brained theory in the first place but, when comparing to the debunked one, the theory seems more logical to me. why? you just can't deny no one can be really sure how our brain really functions. since brain lateralization is real, you just can't say there's no left brained people or eight brained people either. ok, i might specify my idea during the meeting, if i know how to.. ah~ i mean if people are interested la~ :drink:
最後由 Luis Ko 於 週五 5月 12, 2017 9:06 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Eileen
YOYO member

文章 Eileen »

Dear Rock and Luis,
My pleasure to have your support~ :D
Luis I can't agree with you more. Rock is so clever and if he is no-brained then I might be just a stone. haha.
Beside how brain works, It's a good way to know how people think of themselves~ you are always welcome to share your idea on meeting.^^
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Luis Ko 寫:... and you can tell she is a hardworking girl by the posting time of the article. (big claps)
1:15 am.? Hey, that's too early in the morning. :shock:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

thank you for your generosity, Eileen~

by the way, i would say Rock is both-brained so, you are not a stone of course, not in a million years la~ ok, even if you were a stone, you were definitely a lovely stone haaa~ :lol:

8)
最後由 Luis Ko 於 週六 5月 13, 2017 1:31 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

The story from 18:54 to 22:05 in the following video supports breaking the myth of Left, Right-Brained hypothesis/theory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jDd0lF5bak

I didn't know the name of the fake theory but when I got to junior high, I got a low score and was assigned to B class. I guess there is no such concept over 20 years ago. When I google this, there seem many institutes use this concept to make money through opening right brain development. Some descriptions are too exaggerated.

During my school life, I tend to get better grades in Chinese, English but I suck at composing articles. When I finished an article, my classmates can't understand what I wrote inside and after years when I review them, I also can't tell what that hell was.

Since learning vocabulary and composing an article in a logical way are categorized as left brain abilities, I am just good at part of them.

I used right hand to write and basketball though, I found use left hand to learn and play badminton and table tennis is much easier for me.
And during the summer vacation of college, while I was learning Karate, I also found my left hand and left leg are also more flexible. I am also sentimental, and I love listening music and I tend to rely on instinct to foresee the result of a working project by very limited information. I had also addicted to mysteries things for a very long time. That pieces of evidence above seem to support I am more like a right brain person. However, I suck at 3D concept.

I got limitations on both sides but I believe I was born to like a right brain person more. And to try to explain this more specifically, maybe I was born to have more energy flow. And while assuming this is true, if I ignore the right brain flow too much, I would be sorrow because in comparing with basketball, it was just a sport to me while I was playing badminton, I feel like I was energetic and flying.

As a result, hm....what's the conclusion.....

Some senior developer of my company told me, logic correctness is just basic and necessary, to be really good at coding, you need to know how to train your instinct to find a right way in a code ocean to find a destination (where the problem is or which function you really need) and use logic thinking to traverse it. This inspired me that to have the whole picture of one thing, especially when the scale is large, we need both sentimental and rational training for ourselves which means abilities of components of both hemispheres.

still, don't know what conclusion I should make...

To keep your brain sharp, they key is to keep sharp your mind. And to keep sharp your mind, you need something you really care about to fight for, work for and sacrifice for.
Eileen
YOYO member

文章 Eileen »

Dear Tashi,
Thanks for sharing the video. Glad that you are able to find out which hand to use for doing things or sport is suitable for you. I am also a sentimental person and tend to use intuition more. I'm not good at logic and loose debate all the time. According to old theory, I probably more like right brain dominance. However, I believe those my weakness like critical thinking , logic, math can be trained and learned. Most important is maybe we can try to go to bed earlier before we talk about brain things. haha (you posted it at midnight!~~~sleep early ok :wink: )
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

Dear Eileen,

Well....actually I was not planning to do that in the midnight and I also didn't start it by midnight.
One of the reasons it came in this way was because my English writing skill sucks. :ccry:
The other I would try to share by Tuesday in case I need to hook on my screen till 1AM again. :lol:
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Luis Ko 寫:wow~ it's Eileen's debut as a meeting host in yoyo. good topic i would say, if not great. and you can tell she is a hardworking girl by the posting time of the article. (big claps)
i'm really looking forward to it la~ :D

by the way, Rock says he is a no-brainer, which means he is super smart so that everything to him is easy and simple, just a piece of cake la~ that's real no-brainer haa!! and being a skeptic i should have said i didn't believe in left or right brained theory in the first place but, when comparing to the debunked one, the theory seems more logical to me. why? you just can't deny no one can be really sure how our brain really functions. since brain lateralization is real, you just can't say there's no left brained people or eight brained people either. ok, i might specify my idea during the meeting, if i know how to.. ah~ i mean if people are interested la~ :drink:

originally i wanted to specify my idea, however, guess even scientists can not really figure out how our brain functions, why do i bother to argue it? guess Eileen's main point here is to let us know more about ourselves, our strengths and weaknesses, so that we can improve them and fully take advantage of them in the future, something like that. therefore, tonight, i'm not going to blabber like i always did lo~ :drink:

ok, i admit that i still don't know how to specify my idea la~ so i choose to succumb.. :lol:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Shoot, I wouldn't have blabber so much if I'd seen your comment early. Now I've made myself a joke, again. :shock:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

The attendee list is long: Rock, Jessica, James, David Jr., Iris, Jason (newcomer), Rosie, Danny, Alex, Way, Shirley, Ken, Amy, Joseph (newcomer), Alice, Jessie, Cindy, Anne, Wenhan, Luis, Julian.
Thank you for joining us and see you again next time.
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Rock 寫:Shoot, I wouldn't have blabber so much if I'd seen your comment early. Now I've made myself a joke, again. :shock:

shoot 2~ had said i wouldn't, then still blabbered some, though not that much as you did on the stage haa~

as the saying goes, leopards never change theirs spots la~ so, let's keep blabbering lo~ :lol:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Wow, it's from the Bible, as google tells me,

From the Bible, Jeremiah 13:23 (King James Version):

"Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil."
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/226350.html

And a tiger never changes its stripes, either.
回覆文章