5/23(Tue)Workplace Dynamics & Better Conversation(Host:Iris)

回覆文章
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

5/23(Tue)Workplace Dynamics & Better Conversation(Host:Iris)

文章 Iris Wu »

Dear All:

As a working adult, we spend more than one-third of our time each day at work. The time we spend with our bosses and coworkers is probably more than with our families. Like it or not, job, office and colleagues become important parts of our adult life. How do you like your workplace? Is it fun, friendly and productive or is it toxic, unsupportive and dysfunctional? Are you or your colleagues cynical about the management style and office culture? Do you think everybody plays the game of office politics?

“Office politics” often has a negative connotation. Many people say they hate it because of too much maneuvering and manipulating, but the philosopher Plato said about politics, in general: "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Is office politics really a game that you must play? Is it a reality in your working environment? What do you like and hate about it? If office politics is a must, how do you play it well? Will better conversation skills help a person to win the approval and recognition in his or her workplace?

On Tuesday, 5/23, we will spend the first session chatting about our workplace culture and the second session about a popular TED Talk which provides us with some very useful tips for a better conversation.

Reading Materials
Session I: Workplace Culture
  • Office Sarcasm
    https://www.geckoandfly.com/20934/sarca ... ue-office/

5 Signs you are not playing political games at work
    http://time.com/money/4421661/playing-office-politics/

Advantages and Disadvantages of Office Politics
    http://content.wisestep.com/advantages- ... -politics/

Office Sarcasm Quotes: (As listed in the article I)
    • 1. The hardest job in the world is having to listen to you complain about having the hardest job in the world.
      2. Please try to schedule meetings around my job interviews.
      3. I send pointless emails late at night to impress coworkers.
      4. I wish we worked together so we could hate the same coworkers.
      5. I’d appreciate you not complaining to me about your job until I have a job to complain about.
      6. Let’s spend countless hours preparing for a meeting that will be delayed, canceled, or misrepresented.
      7. Please submit your ideas to me today so I can submit them as my own tomorrow.
      8. Nothing brightens up a room like your absence.
      9. I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right.
      10. I’m sorry. I was listening until, out of nowhere, I became distracted by this loud, obnoxious noise that turned out to be your voice.
      11. There’s no better vacation than my boss being on vacation.
      12. Sometimes I have my headphones in at work with nothing playing so I don’t have to interact with chatty co-workers.
      13. We’re all going to really miss doing your work for you.
      14. I should get an award for how I’ve managed to not punch you in the face every time I see you.
      15. I’d have better people skills if I worked with better people.
      16. I need to lower the standard I set for myself to match the level of competency of some of the fucktards I work with.
      17. We acknowledge that there is no ‘I’ in team, but there is definitely a ‘U’ in cunt.
      18. You don’t have to be crazy to work here. We’ll train you.
      19. I think I heard you say, ‘Blah, blah blah, blah”. Is that correct?
      20. Leaving the office for lunch is the new vacation day.
      21. Appearing busy to avoid being laid off has become more exhausting than actually working.
      22. I wake up with a good attitude every day. Then idiots happen.
      23. I can barely wait to take credit for your great ideas.
      24. I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work.
      25. Dear Co-worker, Yes, please continue to talk incessantly even though I’m doing everything I can to avoid making eye contact with you.
      26. The only significant difference between work and hell is probably that I would like more people in Hell.
      27. Congratulations on getting promoted to the job you’re already doing.
      28. The mountain of paperwork on my desk makes me envy the trees that died to produce it.
Session II TED Talk: 10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation
https://www.ted.com/talks/celeste_headl ... nversation
***** “A good conversation is like a miniskirt; short enough to retain interest, but long enough to cover the subject” *****

Questions suggested for discussion
Session I:
1. What sarcastic quotes are applicable to your work environment? Please elaborate on the situation or give examples of your office sarcasm.

2. “A lack of political awareness is sometimes perceived as poor judgment.” Do you agree that you should participate in office politics and play along? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of office politics?

3. What are some good tips/advice to deal with office politics? Please share any stories that show how you or someone you know resolved perplexing political issues in the office with your boss or coworkers.

Session II:
1. In your experience, what kinds of conversation do you not feel like engaging in and usually want to walk away from? for example, talking to a narcissist, or speaking to a person who always downplays your feelings and tries to top yours with his/her experiences, or other scenarios?

2. In the 10 ways to strike up a more interesting conversation in the TED Talk, which ones you think are vital for you and will help you the most in the future? Are there any of her points that you don’t agree with and, if so, why?

3. All the tips we received about conversation seem to work in the initial stages with our new friends, but do you think they can be held up over the long run? For example, how do you always carry on a good conversation with your partner(s) at work or at home? What are the challenges to follow these tips at all times with the persons that you need to converse with?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:55pm Discussion Session (45 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:20pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:20 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (45 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:20pm Summarization (15 mins)
9:20 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元
注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。
5. 正式會員資格取得:Yoyo行政團隊視情況發送正式會員邀請函。獲邀加入者,可於繳交終生會費 NT$1,000後成為Yoyo正式會員。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 5/23(Tue)Workplace Dynamics & Better Conversation(Host:I

文章 Rock »

Iris Wu 寫:***** “A good conversation is like a miniskirt; short enough to retain interest, but long enough to cover the subject”
So it's not from 林語堂。Great, I learned something new today.

I also googled that it was he and 川端康成 who made the skirts of the color guards of 北一女 shorter. It was lucky that he was powerful enough to not be charged of female objectification.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 972
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

i really have no idea how to strike a good conversation, though i do like girls in mini skirts, when it flatters their figure.. XDD
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Haha! I can see I chose two lousy topics, probably a lot of worse than "The War on Public Drinking", because the only thing attracts Rock and Luis is the miniskirt in the whole contents! :lol:

OK, come on, it's not so bad. I am sure we all have a lot to say about our boss, boss' boss and co-workers. Don't you feel like to "punch a sandbag with your boss' name on it once a while"? Don't we always say how the "stupid" company and "crazy" project "waste" our lives? And once, my colleagues in another team complained that when things were perfectly right, they were just "anonymous" in team X, as the manager gets credit, and only when things went wrong, they became "famous", as their individual name got published. There are a lot of sarcastic comments floating around the office, aren't they? The Dilbert comic strip used to be posted in the office cubicles a lot!
I thought you have your own version of office sarcasm since many of you, including Luis but not limited to, are quite cynical, aren't you? :wink:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

I read a sentence from one of the articles, "Being likable, sociable and easy to work with does not always result in a strong performance."

Do you agree with this idea? Which do you value more, being likable or strong performance? :roll:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章