8/12(Sat) Trust Your Struggle / “Sing to me” (Host:Gloria)

回覆文章
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

8/12(Sat) Trust Your Struggle / “Sing to me” (Host:Gloria)

文章 Gloria Lo »

Hi, everyone,
This is Gloria. I accidentally watched this video two weeks ago. I was impressed by the lady’s story and got inspired from her. Hope you also like it.
Besides, it’s weekend. To reward our hard work on the weekdays, there will be a singing session at the end of the meeting.
Welcome to the meeting and enjoy it.

Please view the following video.

Trust your struggle | Zain Asher | TEDxEuston

Questions for discussion
Session 1
1.The speaker said, “I have my dream job. I wake up every day, and I'm so excited to go to work.” Do you also have a dream job now? When did you have a similar feeling since you were born? What’s your dream job?

2.”Success is never really in a straight line. There's always going to be bumps along the way.” Please share your experience or thoughts on this, especially, if possible, share something about your school major or job transition experiences.

3. Were there any people who dominated your life like the speaker’s mom did? How did they do it? Did that work for you? Why or why not? How did you feel in the past and how do you feel now?

4.The speaker said, I loved every minute of it (my childhood) because it prepared me for real life. Looking back, do you think what prepared you for real life?

Session 2
5.Abraham Lincoln once said that the best way to predict the future is to create it. The speaker also believes in creating what she wants. How about you? Do you also believe that? Are you now creating something you want in the future? What is it? And how do you create it?

6.The speaker said, “one day, an opportunity would come and I needed to be ready.” Do you agree with that? Are you also getting prepared for the opportunity? Why or why not?

7.Please try to play the devil’s advocate to challenge the speaker's viewpoints or anything she mentioned in the video.
The following are some points which I think are worth challenging. Or, you can focus on anything else and elaborate your opposite opinions.
(1) Create for what you want, not compete for what you want.
(2) Chances to become an CNN anchor from a receptionist within 4.5 years.
(3) "Get well prepared because one day the opportunity would come." Is it suitable for everyone?
(4) Help another interviewee.....
(5)"Trust your struggle.....have faith that it will all end up being for the greater good."
Does that apply to all people or only apply to people with similar experiences or personalities?

*****************************************************************************************************************

Fun Time / Let’s sing ! :lol: :lol: :lol: ( For around 10 minutes!)

After the singing performance by 3 yoyos, we’re going to sing together. Before we sing together, please (1)volume down your smart phone (2)click on the following karaoke video simultaneously. Then, everyone can read the lyrics while singing.

"The Phantom of the Opera" - Nightwish (Karaoke)

O Fantasma da ÓPERA -Sarah Brightman & Antonio Banderas (Please view the video since 2:18 to save
your time)

*****************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks /Announcements

6:30 ~ 6:40pm Fun Time (Let's Sing)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 Gloria Lo 於 週四 8月 10, 2017 1:12 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 8/12(Sat) Trust Your Struggle / “Sing for me” (Host:Glo

文章 Luis Ko »

7.Please try to play the devil’s advocate to challenge the speaker's viewpoints.
may i know what viewpoints should be specifically challenged? :drink:

by the way, i will try to make it to the meeting, at least for second session, then again, i really want to skip the singing session at the end of the meeting.. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Hi,Luis,
Thank you for reading my questions. :D
I tried to list several things which I think are worth discussing, and added them to question 7.
I believe you guys can think of more....... :lol: :lol:

Besides, singing is intriguing and makes us feel energized. Don't understand why you just want to avoid it so hard......
I wonder if it's a sign of AGEING??????

Just kidding!

Very happy that you will come on Saturday. :wink:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Gloria Lo 寫:Hi, everyone,

1.The speaker said, “I have my dream job. I wake up every day, and I'm so excited to go to work.” Do you also have a dream job now? When did you have a similar feeling since you were born? What’s your dream job?
This is a very interesting question. "Follow your passion" or "pursuit your dream" is something people keep on talking and thinking about these years. Many motivational speakers are promoting it; many successful cases are being mentioned, and many people are regretting life not worth living without meaning. I happened to be one of the regretting people. Should I follow the advice?

The answer to me is yes, if only I am rich enough to accept the consequences.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Dear Rock,
Here comes Teacher Chang’s time………
Your words revealed your strong desire/ambition of achieving something and realizing your goal. I don’t know what your goal is? It looks like you need to give up “real life”, then, you can get a ticket to reach your dream.
People said, having a dream in life is the most beautiful thing in the world.
I agree with that. However, I think if you have a dream that also means you are destined to have a more struggling life than others do.

As your friend, the only thing I can say is that I shall be with you IN SPIRIT if you want to pursue it. :lol: :mrgreen: :sun:
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Gloria Lo 寫:Hi,Luis,
I tried to list several things which I think are worth discussing, and added them to question 7.

Besides, singing is intriguing and makes us feel energized. Don't understand why you just want to avoid it so hard......

Just kidding!

yeah, i'm aging.. :ccry:

as to question 7, i find some points of the speaker are contradict to themselves or, not so realistic, if i'm right. some of them are just for, sort of, making up the numbers for the speech in my opinion. i would like to point them out for you to think about. :mrgreen:

a. "a lot of these news stations receive thousands of applications, thousands of tapes." v.s. "they were so impressed that, even though I had no experience, that I had put together this tape by myself, showing what I could do, that they hired me on the spot." v.s. "I don’t believe in competition. I believe in creating what I want. I don’t believe in competing for what’s already been created." v.s. one-upmanship
b. "If you want to be successful, you need to network, you’ve got to have a brand, you’ve got to study your competition." v.s. "the more you give, the more you receive."
c. "it’s loosely related to hard work." v.s. "Success comes when opportunity meets preparation."
d. the hardships you go through will somehow end up being for your own benefit.
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Luis Ko 寫:
Gloria Lo 寫:Hi,Luis,

Just kidding!

yeah, i'm aging.. :ccry:

as to question 7, i find some points of the speaker are contradict to themselves or, not so realistic, if i'm right. some of them are just for, sort of, making up the numbers for the speech in my opinion. i would like to point them out for you to think about. :mrgreen:

a. "a lot of these news stations receive thousands of applications, thousands of tapes." v.s. "they were so impressed that, even though I had no experience, that I had put together this tape by myself, showing what I could do, that they hired me on the spot." v.s. "I don’t believe in competition. I believe in creating what I want. I don’t believe in competing for what’s already been created." v.s. one-upmanship
b. "If you want to be successful, you need to network, you’ve got to have a brand, you’ve got to study your competition." v.s. "the more you give, the more you receive."
c. "it’s loosely related to hard work." v.s. "Success comes when opportunity meets preparation."
d. the hardships you go through will somehow end up being for your own benefit.

Luis,
you viewed the video so hard. How wonderful.Very excited to know that.

Here is my feedback.
a.Based on my experience, I also believe that before you get recognition from others, feel confident of yourself, and have a sense of safety, to some degree, competition is a must. Not until you get your own basic territory can you create what you want further.
b.The former part is other's viewpoint. The latter part is hers. There's no controversy for me. Maybe you can explain more in the meeting.
c.I also think getting prepared before the opportunity comes is also a kind of working hard. Agree with you.
But, actually, I think the speaker also said that hard working is the way to success, ON TOP OF THAT, there are more to the story.....
d.I agree with what the speaker said. HAHA

Maybe other members can share your thoughts about what Luis mentioned above. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

Re: 8/12(Sat) Trust Your Struggle / “Sing to me” (Host:Glor

文章 Gloria Lo »

The attendee list: Rock, Nick, Steve, Light, Lulu,David Jr.,Tashi, Vincent, Lawrence,Michael,Vicky,Way, Catherine, Sabrina, Leon, Tom, Luis, Julian, Kooper, Gloria

Thanks for coming. We enjoyed a lovely and exciting Saturday afternoon. That would be another unforgettable memory for me. :ssmile:

I would like to give special thanks to Rock and Tashi for providing their personal time to practice in advance and bringing laughter to all.
And, I also appreciated Michael, Rock, and Kooper for videoing and providing Mobile Karaoke microphones. :drink:
Luis Ko
YOYO member

Re: 8/12(Sat) Trust Your Struggle / “Sing to me” (Host:Glor

文章 Luis Ko »

yeah, you really should thank them, especially Rock and Tashi. it's so kind of them. guess no one else would normally be willing to do that haaa~ :lol:
回覆文章