8/29(Tue)Circular Economy/The End of Ownership?(Iris/Steve)

回覆文章
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

8/29(Tue)Circular Economy/The End of Ownership?(Iris/Steve)

文章 Iris Wu »

A piece of carry-on size luggage and a backpack, that’s all I had for a two-month travel. When I returned, I saw my whole houseful of stuff and its container, the apartment itself, and I was wondering: do we really need all the stuff we own?

I guess it’s true that humans are materialistic by nature, but are we on the path of producing too much, owning a lot more than we need, creating excessive waste and leaving behind all that pile on this planet where we are supposedly just a temporary resident?

I did some study and found that there were already some schools of thought in this regard. I am not promoting any particular one, but just think that “circular economy” and “the future of ownership” seem to be interesting subjects for our meeting discussion.

Circular Economy (A short video: 3.5 minutes)
https://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.or ... ew/concept

Rethinking Ownership: Making the Shift from Consumer to User
http://www.sustainablebrands.com/news_a ... sumer_user

Following are some excerpts from a BBC Radio podcast and a documentary film, for your reference only:
  • “Is personal ownership on its way out? Today we own more stuff than ever before, but will the future be one where we hire everything we need?
    Our goods could be supplied to us by big companies as a service – and taken away again or replaced almost before we know they need to be fixed.
    That's just one part of the idea of the circular economy - a new way for businesses to think about how they make use of the world's finite resources.
    Quoted from “The End of Ownership?” (BBC News: iPlayer Radio)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04tz7zx

“We are not nature’s boss. Nature is at the center of existence. What’s not there, isn’t there and what we waste, we lose permanently. In a closed system (the Earth), nothing ever comes back.
    What remains is the matter of ownership. How will we organize this in the future? There must always be someone who becomes the owner of something. Being the owner doesn’t mean having something, but taking the responsibility for something. You must want to be the steward of something.
    If we are the guests on the Earth, the most important quality is the attitude we take towards the fact that Earth makes life possible, so it’s all about that attitude, and this attitude starts with us. And how fundamentally those things could change if we change perspective….”

“If you remove ownership, yes, you lose your status, and some people will have a problem unless they define their identity not on the basis of what they have, but on the basis of who they are.”

“We can never move outside of the context of nature. If we don’t like gravity, we can’t say let’s just cancel that. That’s impossible. And let’s do away with the sun as well, impossible. So, our actions are framed by all the existing (natural) laws. What’s not there, isn’t there. In principle, that’s what nature is.”
    “What do you mean by nature?”, asked the interviewer.
    “Nature is everything that makes life possible on the Earth. That also makes our existence possible. And if we follow that line of thought, everything (including the materials) has to have rights as well to make life possible.”

“I think materials have rights and that, not human kind, but nature is at the center of everything. If that’s the case, we are at the historical turning point where we have to redefine our relationship with Earth as humanity and that we are not at the verge of the umpteenth industrial revolution but we are on the eve of an existential revolution. Everything will be different and the economy will become the symbol of the relationship between humanity and Earth and in that relationship, everything should be balanced, reciprocal and respectful.”
    Quoted from “The End of Ownership” (A Documentary)
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/end-ownersh

Questions for Discussion
Session I:
Q1: Do you think you own more “stuff/things” than you need? If any of them could be “rented” or “paid by service”, what are the things you can (or you wish your spouse could) easily give up the ownership of and just pay the fees for its “access/use”?

Q2: Do you think if you lose the ownership of certain things, you lose your status? (For example, if Steve did not wear his Rolex, instead he just rented a watch, would you still think he is a “golden boy”?) Do you agree that “the things we own have a tendency to own us”? Why? Could the “Diderot Effect” be one of the reasons?

Q3: Do you think “the End of Ownership” is a prevailing trend, a trend that we will be owning less and less physical possessions and moving towards a world that we own more disposable stuff or have things we just rent? Do you like to see a “possessionless world”? Why or why not?
  • (The possible arguments:
    - It is the human nature that we are attached to our physical belongings; the nostalgia for our collected ephemera.
    - In the grand scheme of things, personal sentiment is trivial. We should think more about how we are monopolizing and mistreating our planet.
    Which side of these arguments are you on?)
Session II:
Q4: What is your opinion on the following statements/concepts? What are our rights and obligations to the Earth?
  • “Being the owner doesn’t mean having something, but taking responsibility for something.”
    “If we are the guests on the Earth, the most important quality is the attitude that we take towards the fact that Earth makes life possible.”
Q5: As ordinary people, we may feel that we struggle just to get by or are barely in survival mode. How can we be concerned about the doom which may be still hundreds of years away? What can we do to reduce the harmful impact and make the planet more sustainable? Please list a couple of things can be easily carried out by an ordinary citizen on earth.

Q6: Traditional businesses or manufacturing companies don’t want you to buy a single product that can last throughout your lifetime; they just want you to buy many products over the course of your life. What do these businesses need to change to adopt the “circular economy” business model? Is the new mentality better for the humans for the long run? Why or why not?
  • (Notes: A circular economy is restorative and regenerative by design, and aims to keep products, components, and materials at their highest utility and value at all times. What are the negative sides of it?)
If any of skeptical individual wishes to play devil's advocate :
  • - Are we overreacting to the environmental issues?
    - Is addressing people's immediate basic needs a more sensible and more moral priority than the long term environmental issues?
********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 1~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Iris Wu
YOYO member

Re: 8/29(Tue)Circular Economy/The End of Ownership?(Iris/Ste

文章 Iris Wu »

Dear YoYoers:
I think you are tough, no need to be pampered. I don’t feel sorry for giving you a “harder” topic because you can handle it. :wink:

But I do feel sorry that I won’t be able to host the meeting in person due to an obligation that I cannot avoid, but Steve has gracefully promised to help out. He will certainly bring different viewpoints on this subject from his angle to enrich the discussion. I am grateful for that.

To compensate for my absence, I will leave a box of Danish Chocolates for meeting attendees. Thanks!
steve cheng
YOYO member
文章: 71
註冊時間: 週一 1月 10, 2011 7:20 pm

文章 steve cheng »

Iris:Thank you for your chocolate!
That's why you are so respected !
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

steve cheng 寫:Iris:Thank you for your chocolate!
That's why you are so respected !
Because I know when and how to bribe my audience? :)

I have to correct one thing in question 2, Steve actually wears Patel Phillippe (pp) watch, which is even more expensive than Rolex! Sorry for my ignorance in the first place! :)
steve cheng
YOYO member

文章 steve cheng »

Dear Iris:
Please stop making fun of me!
I'm afraid that my BWH三圍 won't be a secret any more!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

The first thing which people can, and should, abandon ownership, is cars. I guess the birth of autopilot cars may make it come true in less than 10 years. We actually have more cars running and parking in Taipei than we really need. What a waste! Not to mention those stupid expensive high-performance cars running recklessly on the road which are only for show-offs. :roll:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

@Rock, I thought you were going to say, the first thing to give up ownership is "spouse"! :)
I cannot agree more on car ownership. I think many technological innovations and infrastructure are cooking, not I like them all, but they're part of evolution process. We are in the era of changes. Automobiles are mechanical, and traffic rules are something we define. Both are easier to be replaced by AI automation, so I think in the forseeable future the use of vehicle will have dramatic changes.
steve cheng
YOYO member

文章 steve cheng »

Should we abandon the car? the spouse?
For car lovers,it is not easy ! Some like cars more than
anything! They are so crazy about cars!
How about spouses ? It depends whether you have a
right one or not.I,m glad to see the couples who love
and take care of each other.It's the most wonderful thing
That I've been looking for! In reality,there are many
couples they don't! Some even try to get rid of them.
It's really pitiful!!!
Coincidentally ,I abandoned my car just last Monday.
I'm single,I have nothing at all~~~
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

steve cheng 寫:Should we abandon the car? the spouse?
For car lovers,it is not easy ! Some like cars more than
anything! They are so crazy about cars!
How about spouses ? It depends whether you have a
right one or not.I,m glad to see the couples who love
and take care of each other.It's the most wonderful thing
That I've been looking for! In reality,there are many
couples they don't! Some even try to get rid of them.
It's really pitiful!!!
Coincidentally ,I abandoned my car just last Monday.
I'm single,I have nothing at all~~~

Steve,

Tonight, I am going to join the class, pity. :mrgreen:

My angle, while there is life, there is hope/love/happiness. Especially, your works of photography
are invaluable. :D
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
steve cheng
YOYO member

文章 steve cheng »

Laura:
It's alright! Enjoy your class.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Giving up a spouse? Are you guys still talking about "circular economy"? :shock:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Wow, that’s a fantastic idea! I am a hoarder, and this circular economy must be the only solution to my compulsive hoarding behavior…

圖檔
(Source: DeviantArt)
steve cheng
YOYO member

文章 steve cheng »

Iris :
Chocolate works!
We have more than 20 people tonight !
We discussed all your questions.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Sherry Liao 寫:Wow, that’s a fantastic idea! I am a hoarder, and this circular economy must be the only solution to my compulsive hoarding behavior…
You are so disciplined, I cannot imagine you being a hoarder! The kind of hoarder in your photo is somewhat cute!
steve cheng 寫:Iris: Chocolate works! We have more than 20 people tonight! We discussed all your questions.
Thanks, Steve, I owe you big time! Hope everyone had a good time!
steve cheng
YOYO member

文章 steve cheng »

Iris:
Don't mention it ! It's really my pleasure!
The most important thing was that we had
A great time !
回覆文章