9/23(Sat) The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (Alicia)

回覆文章
aliciawu
YOYO member
文章: 2
註冊時間: 週六 9月 09, 2017 6:23 pm

9/23(Sat) The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (Alicia)

文章 aliciawu »

Have you ever heard of Kondo Marie, the lifestyle/cleaning guru? She's listed as one of Time's "100 most influential people" in 2015. I know Japanese are tend to be obsessed with making things organized. But, I am surprised that so many Americans and Europeans love Kondo Marie's method. Even Google Inc. invited her to give a lecture.

The following is the article that you can know her quickly from where she started till what she's doing now.
Should you Kondo your kids?: KonMari takes on children
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bwC ... sp=sharing

(The original link to webpage is http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/sh ... 0c4ccf5d1d. But it would ask you to subscribe. only when people search the title of the article on computer instead of mobile devices, it can be read. Quit inconvenient. So, I put it on my google document. )

DISCUSSION:

Session 1

1. Have you ever read the book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, written by Kondo Marie ? (There is also a Chinese version. The title is 怦然心動的人生整理魔法.) If yes, do you think it's helpful to you and your life? What impressed you most? If not, do you think you need a declutter guidebook? Why or why not?

2.Is making home/room/desk decluttered and organized important to you? What's your tip to make the place under your control? What is the most difficult part to you when tidying up?

*add-on question: do you believe tidying up can change you or someone's life?

Session 2
1.Since everyone uses mobile phone and computer every day, do you struggle with exploding data? Would you like to share how you organize your files, photos, apps/software?

2.Unlike Minimalism, KonMari method doesn't ask you to throw most stuffs. It encourages you only keeping things that spark joy to you. What is the stuff which always sparks joy to you in your house? Why?

*add-on question:
Before Kondo Marie became such a successful organizing consultant, she had been considered as a freak by her parents and teachers. . Do you know some celebrities like her that started without others' confidence and turned out successfully?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 9/23(Sat) The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up/Alicia

文章 Luis Ko »

got t to admit my room and desk have never been neat and tidy, nor have i ever been an organized person haa~

i don't know if tidying up can change people's life, but if you have no idea how to do tidy-up, and more often than not, you just can't help being messy, no worry, at least you can say it's because you are an intelligent person so that's why you tend to be messy, according to the article below,
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 74256.html

but then, you had better not boast about it haaa~ :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

It is very much in character for me to keep everything neat and tidy. I also, proudly but secretly, consider myself an expert in this field. After decades of life experiences, my obsession with tidiness however has been waning and there is a reason for that change.

It goes without saying that keeping things in order has tons of benefits, but overdo it could do more harm than good. My own experiences taught me that ultimate cleanliness and neatness is nowhere near optimal. On the contrary, tolerating certain degrees of mess could bring us the most benefit. Why? Economists have a widely known concept called the law of diminishing returns; it says that if we continue adding input, after reaching a certain point, each added input won't lead to the same rate of output, but a decreasing one. This law applies to many different situations, and tidying-up is no exception.

A case in point, emptying out or cleaning up a cabinet that has been for years stuffed with useless goods is a waste of time and energy, unless the space is going to be used in the near future. Categorization is a very effective way to organize a space, e-mails, etc. and I am a fan of it. But creating too many categories, with minor differences between them, just makes the process of categorization tedious and lack of efficiency. I am also more likely to rifle through a wrong category and waste time.

All in all, my definition of optimal neatness has to meet two criteria: the tidying up takes only little time and efforts and the result is very measurable. Second, the degree of tidiness allows me to find what I am looking for right off the bat. My cubicle in the office speaks volumes – it’s messily tidy.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

to tidy up
to tidy up something
to clean up something
to straighten up something
to keep (/make) something neat and tidy
her tidying method
her tidying-up method
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Host: Alicia
Participant(19): Gloria, Sunny, Rock, David Jr., Leon, Vicky, Way, Tom, Jason, Momo, Tashi, Bella(new comer), Kinny(new comer), Laura, Ryan, Kooper, Julian, Nick, Luis
Presence: Steve
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Steve was a present? to the host?

(Haha....I am joking ^.^)
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

nice catch, Michael. :D I changed it to presence...
回覆文章