12/9(Sat.)What really matters at the end of life? (Sunny)

回覆文章
頭像
foreignsun
YOYO member
文章: 7
註冊時間: 週日 8月 30, 2015 10:26 pm

12/9(Sat.)What really matters at the end of life? (Sunny)

文章 foreignsun »

Hihi yoyoers,

As technologies lengthen life expectancy, I started to think “What can we do to die well?” Let’s face it. We’re all going to die. You. Me. Our parents. Our children. Friends. Neighbors. Co-workers. Even our pets.

I hate nagging, so let’s get straight to the point as blow:

[Reference Video]
https://www.ted.com/talks/bj_miller_wha ... nd_of_life

https://www.ted.com/talks/peter_saul_le ... bout_dying

[Recent Hot News]
1. A well-known contemporary author(瓊瑤) wrote an open letter to her son, requesting for “DEATH WITH DIGINITY if she is in terminal illness.”

2. An ex-sports commentator(傅達仁) advocates for “EUTHANASIA”. However, at the last moment he called off his euthanasia plan in Switzerland because he was reluctant to leave his family.

3. A pilot program started for “WELL-DYING LAW” in South Korea recently.

[ Definitions ]
Death with Dignity: A natural death, which means withholding treatment necessary for the continuance of life. It claims that patients have the right to refuse life-sustaining treatment in order to alleviate their suffering. Some call it “passive euthanasia.”

Euthanasia(active): Some call it “A mercy killing.” The medical professionals deliberately do something that causes the patient to die.

Hospice and Palliate Care :The goal is to help dying people feel better and alleviate their pain. In Taiwan, an adult can sign an “advance hospice palliative care form” to claim their rights at the end of life.

[Vocabulary - I hope it's easier for your discusssion! ]
Death with dignity 尊嚴死
Euthanasia 安樂死
Palliate Care 安寧看護
Advance directive 預立醫囑
Advance Care Planning (ACP) 預立醫療自主計畫
Caregiver 看謢人員/照顧者
ICU (intensive care unit) 加護病房
Futile(nonbeneficial) medical treatment 無效醫療
intubation插管
vital signs 生命跡象
chronic disease 慢性疾病
acute disease 急性疾病
congenial disease 先天性疾病
living will遺囑
incurable 無法治癒的
terminal cancer/illness 末期癌症(重症)
coma 昏迷/彌留狀態
chemotherapy 化療
to be discharged from hospital 出院
incapable 失能的
prolong one’s life 延長生命
life-support equipment/life-sustaining treatment 維生設備(治療)
multiple organ failure 多重器官衰竭
co-housing 共居住宅
nursing home 安養院
retirement pension 退休金
inherit fortune/legancy 繼承遺產

Session 1 – At the end of life

1. You never know what tomorrow will bring to your life. Are you willing to fill out an advance directive of “Death With Dignity”? Why or why not?

2. Do you agree/disagree with euthanasia or mercy killing (euthanasia is not equal to death with dignity)? Why or why not?

3. (Scenario)If you were told that you only had 2 months to live with perfect health, how would you spend time? Would you do some challenging and crazy things? (Be specific! ex. forgive your ex / traveling / sky-diving / sleep with the most beautiful woman...)

4. Based on your experience, what do you find that the most people really want at the end of life? Do you hope to be remembered?

Session 2- How to make a longevity a blessing, not a curse?

1. Some say, “Living and working in an Age of Longevity is horrible.” Does the thought of working for 60 or 70 years fill you with dread? Are you willing to live to 100 years old? Imagine what it looks like.

2. (Scenario) You’ve been very happily married for 30 years until your spouse passed away. You are 70 years old, wealthy, and have three adult children. Now you fall in love with your husband/wife's best friend, whose spouse deceased as well. Would you consider remarry ?

3. When you retire, where do you prefer to live?
- live with your children and grandson
- live in your own house, all by yourself
- live in nursing home
- live in co-housing with strangers

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 foreignsun 於 週四 12月 07, 2017 1:33 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 5 次。
頭像
Arthur
YOYO member
文章: 469
註冊時間: 週一 8月 25, 2003 9:15 am
來自: Taipei
聯繫:

Re: 12/8(Sat.)What really matters at the end of life? (Sunny

文章 Arthur »

Sunny will show up??? So happy to know it.. BTW 12/"8" SAT?
===========
厚積而薄發!
===========
頭像
foreignsun
YOYO member

Re: 12/8(Sat.)What really matters at the end of life? (Sunny

文章 foreignsun »

Arthur 寫:Sunny will show up??? So happy to know it.. BTW 12/"8" SAT?

haha, sorry~

Yes, I'm very willing to be the host. It's my honor.
However it's so sad that my old account "Sunny" is gone....
all the hundreds of posts and good memories are gone with the wind
頭像
foreignsun
YOYO member

Re: 12/9(Sat.)What really matters at the end of life? (Sunny

文章 foreignsun »

I've heard the movie "The Bold The Corrupt and The Beautiful" (血觀音)is worth seeing. So, why don't we have some fun for the weekend?
I'm planning to go to the movies after 12/9 meeting.

If you're also interested in, pls "+1" by this Thursday(12/7), so I can help check seats and book tickets in advance!
(If nobody wants to join, it's no bother. I can still go by myself loh! haha)

[Agenda of 2nd Round]
18:30 YOYO meeting finished
19:00 arrive the theater
19:00-20:00 free chatting and eating (祥發港式茶餐廳 is recommended)
20:00~ movie time!

[Showtimes]
台北日新威秀 20:50
(台北市萬華區武昌街二段87號)

[attendee till now]
Sunny+1
Christine Wang +1
Leon+2
Rosie+1

(I've booked 5 tickets in advance! However, you can also feel free to join us and book tickets by yourself on 12/9. )
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Dying process is probably another “inconvenient truth” in the healthcare systems. Opposite to the other inconvenient truths, the dilemma of this one may be because of “being too humanistic”. In reality, what is the right humanity when choosing death over living with pain and losing the dignity? "Does our right to life including right to die?" These are truly thought-provoking questions.

Personally, I am glad to see more discussion on this subject. I think my parent’s generation mostly did not get chance to see their parents die in full age, and the medical technology advanced in the last few decades helps their generation live much longer, many in their 80’s, 90’s now. They are the generation lacking personal experience to see aging process (or care for elders) and they have no choices to live very long regardless the quality of life. I see many, many problems in their generation, but it’s not so much their faults, they did not have experience and the system fails to help them dealing with the issues.

We will be probably luckier, well, I do hope so. I hope by the time we get to that age or situation, it will be “convenient” for us to speak of the truth that we think is right for us. I certainly don’t wish that my heart just "takes a licking and keep on ticking" without my brain and my body going with it! :)
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Today we live in a world that encourage everyone to “be yourself” and do what we like and in cultures that worship differentiation and value individual uniqueness. The bedrock of all these cultural trends requires a chokehold of our own life. This thirst for control now manifest itself as the subject of end-of-life care as baby boomers are aging toward their last innings.

Euthanasia is a hollow question to answer at this early moment. As Peter Saul pointed out in his TED speech, only 0.5% population take it as an option. Aging societies around the globe need to first cope with the challenge of aging gracefully and dying with dignity. Euthanasia will be a natural extension after solving the pressing problems, and it will become widely accepted all in good time.
頭像
foreignsun
YOYO member

文章 foreignsun »

12/9 attendee

[Members]
Wendy, Steve Cheng, Kooper, Bella, Momo, Gloria, Way, Iris Wu, Vicky Wu, David jr., Stephen Chiu, Rosie Hsieh, Rita, Carrie, Leon Tung, Michael Liu, Christine Wang, Tom

[New Comer]
Wayne Huang,Tony Hsiung

Besides, it's so much fun to see the movie "血觀音" with Yoyoers :)
And to my surprise, the ending of this movie echoed today's topic!
回覆文章