1/6 Dunning-Kruger Effect & A Mastermind (Host: Iris)

Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 1/6 Dunning-Kruger Effect & A Mastermind (Host: Iris)

文章 Iris Wu »

Attendees: Michael, David Jr. Way, Momo, LuLu, Leon, Steve, Tashi, Amy, Ryan, Rock, Sherry, Shirley, Sabrina, Kooper, Yvonne, Anne, Janice, Luis, Jay (Newcomer), Gloria, Tina, Iris (host).
I appreciate your participation!

I understand the topics probably cover too much, so it was a bit hard to discuss them in depth, even we continued the conversation in our post-meeting dinner time and in our LINE group chat, we seem to be more "confused", well, at least I am! :)

I am sorry I did not have time to research further and reply all the excellent questions raised in/after the meeting. Maybe this will be my homework while traveling? :)
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

1. According to Cambridge dictionary, "think for yourself" means to form your own opinions. So, how should we say 為自己著想?

2. About cynicism, as we know, cynical people tend to believe in conspiracy theory. Do we agree on that? If yes, let's take a look of the following paragraph I saw on Internet.

"接受了陰謀論的世界觀,會相信一切事物背後都有隻「黑手」,一但陷入這種想法就難以脫離——關於陰謀論的心理研究顯示,相信一套陰謀論的人,較傾向會相信其他陰謀論,即使跟他原本相信的陰謀論無關,甚至矛盾。

陰謀論思考盛行必然對公共討論有害,社會運作必須建基於一定程度的信任,但陰謀論者會消解信任,因為一切背後都有人控制。現實世界的確會有陰謀存在,可是要揭穿陰謀,永遠不會是靠陰謀論式思考。相反,別有用心的人可以利用陰謀論操控他人,把陰謀論轉化成生意利益甚至政治武器"

I sort of agree with it. If you don't, we can discuss it further
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Thank you, Michael. I agree with you. Though Luis may not totally agree because he seems to be an expert on this topic.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Janice Wang
YOYO member
文章: 79
註冊時間: 週六 3月 25, 2017 7:45 pm

文章 Janice Wang »

Rock 寫:
Luis Ko 寫:... to think for yourself and to think differently like you always do that's the point here i would say...
I am kind of nervous to hear that me being "thinking differently" now. I didn't even notice that I think differently from others. Isn't everybody thinking differently from everybody? Am I really different? :shock: :cry:

I also agree with your points. We should always think for ourselves. (這句是我們該自我思考?還是我們該為自己著想?) Following others is one thing, following them blindly is another. However, the thin line between critical thinking and cynicism is not clear for me, so I guess sometimes I'm being cynical without knowing it. Announcing myself being a cynic is lacking originality because you've already patented it. Or may I share it with you? :shock:
When I first encountered the word “cynical”, I was also being introduced to both “gullible” and “skeptical”. To me, they are triplets when it comes to provocative thinking. In my opinion, many people, including myself, either somewhat displays the Dunning-Kugger Effect or have long been accustomed to analogous thinking which somehow leads us to be gullible and jumping on the bandwagon for the sake of efficiency, convenience, or cordiality. Moreover, to be skeptical requires a certain amount of wisdom and knowledge to back you up from not being paranoid, and being a cynic takes a great amount of pressure to stand out dissenting ALL while risking to be dubbed as Donald Trump. Surely, the voice of skepticism and cynicism is as important as the idea of “agree to disagree”, the cornerstone of democracy.

As a new blood at YOYO, the riveting beauty of coming to YOYO, aside from honing my English skills, stems from enthralling myself with some of your novel and fascinating opinions towards a wide array of subjects which helps to sharpen my rusty brain. Thus, Rock, please do stay with your hallmark - “thinking differently”, it is delightful to cogitate on some of your unique and intriguing thoughts! Besides, I think if other “Presidents” could be as reflective as you are regarding that thin line between critical thinking and cynicism; the world might be less chaotic and our country would be more promising, solidified, and safer!

With my amateurish understanding of The First Principle’s Theory, it’s to break down the target to observe all the facts, then put them together to create new ideas or innovations. In a nutshell, to deconstruct and reconstruct! While coming to the end of the meeting, David urged us to solicit an example regarding the application of the theory from our daily life. However, we seemed to come shy from finding one right off the bat due to time. To that point, Rock’s latest post caught my attention and demonstrates the improvising of the FP theory perfectly through the example of rocket building. After all, not everyone wants to launch a rocket,but to learn a practical theory is always welcoming!Thanks for sharing your insights, Rock!

Last but not least, Iris, kudos to your excellent hosting!
最後由 Janice Wang 於 週三 5月 20, 2020 1:41 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 7 次。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Wow! What an amazing piece of writing, Janice! Do you work for TIME magazine?

Thank you for encouraging me not to change my stripes. It's good to know that some people also appreciate our geeky discussions. Yoyo, luckily, can serve as a playground for us thinkers. Being cynical or skeptical actually is better than being bored, right?

Please join our discussion and fight some people next time. Though I personally don't want to fight someone who is totally out of my league like you. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章