3/10(Sat.) Work-life balance (Host Joseph)

回覆文章
JosephYu
YOYO member
文章: 9
註冊時間: 週六 2月 17, 2018 10:00 pm

3/10(Sat.) Work-life balance (Host Joseph)

文章 JosephYu »

Any proofreading and revising is welcome and deeply appreciated.

Session I
“Your Feelings About Work-Life Balance Are Shaped by What You Saw Your Parents Do”

We’re obsessed with work-life balance. There’s no shortage of research, articles, and self-help books trying to help us find and restore a balance between our work and nonwork lives. However, most of the discussion and advice tends to focus on changing individual career decisions, or team expectations, or organizational contexts. But what if other factors mattered as well?
Our upbringing can have an enduring influence on our work and career decisions — and that what we subconsciously learn from our parents plays an important role in how we think about and manage work-life balance.
People are hardly blank slates when they join the workforce; their beliefs and expectations about the right balance between work and family are often shaped early on, simply by observing their parents’ behaviors and attitudes. These dispositions become deeply ingrained, part of daily routines, and thus taken for granted.
According to the research, most individuals fall into one of four categories: (1) They willingly adopt their parents’ model of work-life balance; (2) they unintentionally adopt their parents’ model; (3) they willingly reject their parents’ model; or (4) they unintentionally reject their parents’ model. Interestingly, although the majority of individuals belong to one of these four categories, there are a limited number who straddle more than one category.

https://hbr.org/2017/10/your-feelings-a ... parents-do

1. What do you think about work-life-balance?
2. Do both your parents have careers? Or is only one of your parents the breadwinner?
3. Do you want to reproduce or reject your parents’ model?
4. According to the article, which categories do you believe you belong to?
5. Do you feel regret about your choice of work-life balance? If so, how would you like to change it?

Session II
“A growing number of people think their job is useless. Time to rethink the meaning of work”

A great deal has been written in recent years about the perils of automation. With predicted mass unemployment, declining wages, and increasing inequality, clearly we should all be afraid.
Employees have been worrying about the rising tide of automation for 200 years now, and for 200 years employers have been assuring them that new jobs will naturally materialize to take their place. After all, if you look at the year 1800, some 74% of all Americans were farmers, whereas by 1900 this figure was down to 31%, and by 2000 to a mere 3%. Yet this hasn’t led to mass unemployment. In 1930, the famous economist John Maynard Keynes was predicting that we’d all be working just 15-hour weeks by the year 2030. Yet, since the 1980s, work has only been taking up more of our time, bringing waves of burnouts and stress in its wake.
In a 2013 survey of 12,000 professionals by the Harvard Business Review, half said they felt their job had no “meaning and significance,” and an equal number were unable to relate to their company’s mission, while another poll among 230,000 employees in 142 countries showed that only 13% of workers actually like their job. A recent poll among Brits revealed that as many as 37% think they have a job that is utterly useless.
They have, what anthropologist David Graeber refers to as, “bullshit jobs”. On paper, these jobs sound fantastic. And yet there are scores of successful professionals with imposing LinkedIn profiles and impressive salaries who nevertheless go home every evening grumbling that their work serves no purpose.
The time has come to stop sidestepping the debate and home in on the real issue: what would our economy look like if we were to radically redefine the meaning of “work”? I firmly believe that a universal basic income is the most effective answer to the dilemma of advancing robotization. Not because robots will take over all the purposeful jobs, but because a basic income would give everybody the chance to do work that is meaningful.
I believe in a future where the value of your work is not determined by the size of your paycheck, but by the amount of happiness you spread and the amount of meaning you give. I believe in a future where the point of education is not to prepare you for another useless job, but for a life well lived. I believe in a future where “jobs are for robots and life is for people.”
And if basic income sounds Utopian to you, then I’d like to remind you that every milestone of civilization – from the end of slavery to democracy to equal rights for men and women – was once a Utopian fantasy too. Or, as Oscar Wilde wrote long ago: “Progress is the realization of Utopias.”

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/04/ ... g-of-work/

6. Will there still be enough jobs for everyone a few decades from now?
7. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being very useful and 1 being useless), how would you rate your current job? Do you feel it's meaningful or useless?
8. What is “work” anyway? In your opinion, what does work mean to you? What would our economy look like if we were to radically redefine the meaning of “work”?
9. The author believes that the value of your work is not determined by the size of your paycheck, but by the amount of happiness you spread and the amount of meaning you give. In addition, he believes in a future where “jobs are for robots and life is for people.” Do you agree with this?
10. Do you think it would be possible in Taiwan to have a universal income?

******************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements **
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 JosephYu 於 週三 3月 07, 2018 10:56 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 3/10(Sat.) Work-life-balance (Host Joseph)

文章 Rock »

Wow! Joseph, your writing is amazing. But since you said that proofreading is welcome, I managed to find a typo.... it's such a tiny typo that no one would notice. In Q.9, an "s" is missing. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
JosephYu
YOYO member
文章: 9
註冊時間: 週六 2月 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Re: 3/10(Sat.) Work-life-balance (Host Joseph)

文章 JosephYu »

Rock, you are too kind to me.
What I did is finding two interesting articles then copy-paste some content in it. It's similar to my daily work, LOL.
I found the "s" and add it to where it belongs to, thanks a lot!
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

Re: 3/10(Sat.) Work-life balance (Host Joseph)

文章 Gloria Lo »

Attendees:
David, Tom, Rosie, Neo, Kat, Sabrina, Sherry, Tanya, Rock, Way, Vincent, Steve, Catherine, Jay, Joseph, Kooper, Gloria

New comer:

Bob, Polly
回覆文章