3/27(Tue)Generations: Past, Present, and Future(Host:Sherry)

回覆文章
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

3/27(Tue)Generations: Past, Present, and Future(Host:Sherry)

文章 Sherry Liao »

“Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.” – George Orwell

Dear YOYOs,

A few weeks ago, I came across this video clip and was thinking this might be a good topic for a YOYO meeting:

Unfortunately, after talking to a member, I was told that a very similar topic had been discussed a few months ago:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4481

Alas! It was like you met a cute girl who turned you on, only to find she was someone else’s wife. :mrgreen: Still, I managed to arrange the questions in a different way. I hope you will like them. :D

The following Information may help you join the discussion:

◇ The generations are delineated something like this:
The Greatest Generation (aka the G.I. Generation) born between 1901 and 1927
The Silent Generation (aka the Lucky Few) born between 1928 and 1945
Baby Boomer (aka the Rock and Roll Generation or Generation Jones) born between 1946 and 1964
Generation X (aka Gen X) born between 1965 and 1980
Millennial (aka Gen Y) born between 1981 and 1997
Generation Z (aka The Founders, iGen, Homeland Generation, Posts, Plurals, or ReGen) born between 1998 and 2010
Generation Alpha (aka Gen Tech, Digital Natives, or Net Gen) born between 2011 and 2025

◇ A brief description of the generations:
圖檔
(If you cannot see the whole picture, click the source here: CNN)

◇ A detailed description of the generations:
http://socialmarketing.org/archives/gen ... he-others/

Questions for Discussion:
Session I

Q1: Before we start the discussion, let’s take a BuzzFeed quiz to see which living generation you actually belong in: https://www.buzzfeed.com/eugeneyang/generations
Do you agree with the quiz result? Regardless of your real age, which generation best describes you?
Q2: The labels for the generations largely reflect American history. Do you think they are also applicable to us? Can you make an Asian version of the generations?
Q3: Do you believe people who live in the same generation share similar experiences, circumstances, and culture? For those features you are labeled, what are true and what are just negative stereotype?

Session II
Q4: Regardless of their original definition, in your opinions, which generation is the greatest and which is the worst? Which is a sandwich generation and which is neglected? Which deserves the name of a “lost generation”?
Q5. Do you think baby boomers, Gen Xers, and millennials have many generation differences as 1) consumers, 2) workers, 3) learners, and 4) social creatures? Or do you think they are more alike than different?
Q6. Gen Alphas are those who born since 2010, and their future are full of imagination. What does the future hold for Generation Alpha? How will you get along with them?
Q7. The video concludes with “In the end, your generation does not ultimately define you, but how you interpret your unique place within it”. What is “your unique place” in your generation? In your opinions, what are the opportunities and challenges?
********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:20 ~ 8:05pm Discussion Session (45 mins)
8:05 ~ 8:20pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:20 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:10pm Discussion Session (45 mins)
9:10 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (15 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

Re: 3/27(Tue)Generations: Past, Present, and Future(Host:She

文章 Sherry Liao »

Hi there, the questions have been updated. I tried very hard to make questions not too serious, but failed - I am a serious person after all. :mrgreen: Please feel free to bring your own questions and have fun! :D
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Hey, the quiz got my generation right. It's smart. Amazing. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

It sounds a bit cynical, but is it possible that these fathers are doing so because they are from "that generation", not because of fatherhood? As I know, there are more and more irresponsible fathers (and mothers) these days. Maybe encouraging people to chase their dream is not always a good idea? :roll:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Rock 寫:Hey, the quiz got my generation right. It's smart. Amazing. :lol:
Really? But my quiz result shows that I am a Gen Alpha... :drink:
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Rock 寫:It sounds a bit cynical, but is it possible that these fathers are doing so because they are from "that generation", not because of fatherhood? As I know, there are more and more irresponsible fathers (and mothers) these days. Maybe encouraging people to chase their dream is not always a good idea? :roll:
The advertisement makes me think of my parents. They are diligent, always hardworking, and more than willing to sacrifice for their next generations. I doubt if I will do the same when I am their age. :cccry:
Way
YOYO member
文章: 24
註冊時間: 週六 9月 23, 2017 10:39 pm

文章 Way »

Hi Sherry, don't worry, good topic can be discussed over and over, especially with different members, different scenarios. Through understanding the times change, we can comprehend what current teenagers or young people think and behave and sometimes can cherish what we owned before, though it was not necessarily always right. Shortening the generation gap and improving the communication become critical nowadays. After quiz, I belong to generation Z, :( should have many things need to reflect on myself. See you guys there.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Forgive my rational side, Rock’s video is an arguably successful life Insurance commercial. It creates a sensation for people to think that leaving a handsome sum of money to your children is the love of parenting. I would say the best gift to your children is the education and the right values you have invested over time in your children. The question was designed to fit the scenario for their commercial purposes. Let's try not to get too sensational about this.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Even though everybody was reluctant to reveal the generation they belong to, we still had fun discussion and presentation last night.

I like our answers for question (4):
The greatest generation was long gone, and the worst generation is yet to come.
Every generation is a "sandwich generation" because they all need to face the challenges when serving as the link between past and future.
Every generation is a "lost generation" because evolution has no purpose and history doesn't seem to have a direction. Every generation has to take the driver seat without clear map of their paths.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Iris Wu 寫: The greatest generation was long gone, and the worst generation is yet to come.
Wow! This sentence not only rhymes but also has got right rhythm. Good.

But as an optimist, I believe the worst is gone, and the best is yet to come. And about the "lost generation", we do know that direction is a relative term, don't we? :wink:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Iris Wu 寫:... I would say the best gift to your children is the education and the right values you have invested over time in your children. The question was designed to fit the scenario for their commercial purposes. Let's try not to get too sensational about this.
Totally agree. I won't get too emotional about this sensational CM, my lady. :wink:

You read the hidden message of this commercial. It cannot fool you. :lol: However, on the surface, it does discuss values and tries to do some education. If one of my students would cry when he or she is watching this video, I'd be very thankful to the makers of it. Question: would you still feel it's fake if this video didn't have the last part selling the insurance?
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Rock 寫:
Iris Wu 寫:The greatest generation was long gone, and the worst generation is yet to come.
Wow! This sentence not only rhymes but also has got right rhythm. Good.
But as an optimist, I believe the worst is gone, and the best is yet to come. And about the "lost generation", we do know that direction is a relative term, don't we? :wink:
Hey, Rock, when did we switch seats? I remember you were more of a pessimist and I had been naively optimistic in many things. I think the book Sapiens totally got our brain rewired! :)
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Rock 寫:Question: would you still feel it's fake if this video didn't have the last part selling the insurance?
I should admit that I had to fight back tears before I realized it was sponsored by an insurance company. But I think the scenario in the video is human nature, we tend to put our responsibility ahead of personal enjoyment. Do you feel the society has changed? Most people would choose to fulfill their dream first regardless of the parenting responsibilities? There may be exceptions, but I think most parents would do the same thing (if things are as simple as described in the film.)
回覆文章