5/29(Tue.)Black Lives Matter & Solo travel(host:Andre/Momo)

回覆文章
momoliu
YOYO member
文章: 4
註冊時間: 週一 11月 06, 2017 10:55 pm

5/29(Tue.)Black Lives Matter & Solo travel(host:Andre/Momo)

文章 momoliu »

Hi Everyone

Andre & Momo will be the host on 5/29.

Session One (Andre's topic: Black Lives Matter)

introduction:
Because of Stephon Clarke, and so many other unarmed young Black males murdered by cops, I want to share what happened to me.
The Sacramento police illegally detained me.
One night in the middle of 2014 I was in Sacramento with my friend who is Black, male, under 30 and unarmed.
We were driving. I was in one car while my friend was in another car in front of me. I was driving a red Dodge Charger. He was driving a cadillac. The cops pulled him over. At first I laughed at him because he was going to get a ticket. Then I got scared.
Fearing that they would beat him, I found a place to park and ran to the scene. There were two squad cars and two bike cops. That’s four cops at least just for a traffic stop.
I started walking to the scene. One bike cop, Officer Martinez, around five feet tall, was on foot. “Get out of here," he said. “This doesn't concern you," he also said.“I know him," I said. Multiple times. That's [my friend's name]. He's a [my friend's job which requires a masters degree],” I said. Multiple times. “Can I observe you?" I asked. Multiple times.
Officer Martinez of the Sacramento Police Department then ran at me. That's how far I was from him. He had to run several feet to get to me. I threw up my hands and said, "I'm unarmed!" The other bike cop joined Officer Martinez. They cuffed me and put me in the back of a squad car. "My lawyer's phone number is in my wallet," I said. The other bike cop, a blonde White female, said, "We don't have to call your lawyer if we're just detaining you." That same cop later told me, "People around here don't like cops.”
Legally, they can detain me for no more than twenty minutes. They detained me for longer than twenty minutes. They broke the law.
As I sat in the back of the cop car, hands cuffed behind me, another cop, apparently the ranking officer on the scene, a tall bald White male, said, ''I think we're being punked.'' He then told me that he doesn’t know who’s a threat or not. I said, “[My friend’s name] is not a threat to anyone.” The cop looked at me, shocked as if anyone would dare question him.
Eventually they let me go and gave my friend a ticket for driving with tinted windows. There is no law against driving with tinted windows.It was night. It was dark. What if I approached with my black phone to video record them? Would they have thought it was a gun? Would they have shot me?What if I was Black?Sacramento law enforcement recently committed a hit and run against an unarmed White female who was part of the protests against the murder of Stephon Clarke. This is state sponsored terrorism. We must fight it. Stephon Clarke. Black Lives Matter.

Questions for Discussion:
1 What do you think are some of the differences between police in Taiwan and other countries?
2 Have you ever had an interaction with the police in Taiwan or other countries? Please share your experience.
3 What do you think are some of the differences in crime between Taiwan and other countries?
4 Why is there so little violent crime in Taiwan?
5 What do you think Taiwanese people think about Taiwanese police?

For more information on Black Lives Matter please follow Black Lives Matter Sacramento on Facebook and please follow my Facebook where I focus on Black Lives Matter.

Session Two (Momo's topic: Solo travel)

Article: 71 Ways Your Life Will Change When You Travel Alone
https://www.hostelworld.com/blog/want-to-travel-alone/

Questions for Discussion

1.Do you or your friends have any experience of solo travel? If yes, please share it to your table members.
If not, would you like to try it in the future? Please share your plan to your table members.

2.In your point of view, which is the best location for solo travel?
Would you recommend foreigners to travel solo in Taiwan? Why or why not?

3.Will you encourage young people or your children to travel alone in their life? Why or Why not?

4.If someone who is planning her/him first solo long-term travels, what is the most important bit of advice you could give?
Dan
文章: 40
註冊時間: 週四 9月 22, 2016 8:08 pm

Re: 5/29(Tue.)Black Lives Matter & Solo travel(host:Andre/Mo

文章 Dan »

Sounds like there were some interesting sessions held tonight.

I would especially have wanted to attend the Black Lives Matter session. :sorrow: I'm very interested in what Taiwanese think of their police officers. It can't be worse than what many Americans think of their cops--can it?

Is there a setting in this old forum software to trigger notifications when a new topic is posted? I notice that sometimes there isn't much lead time between the posting of topics and when the sessions are held.

Also, what is the waiting list at present for nabbing a hosting slot? I had to steal one from Iris, but that date is still months away. Perhaps we could have a calendar with open slots. If there is already one available, please disregard this suggestion. (I know, I'm very demanding of the new administration, which is managing the sprawling YoYo operation well :wink: )
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

:D

Attendees:
Momo, Rock, Felicia, Light, Amy, John, Tashi, David, Steve, Yvonne, Miller, Ken, Summer, Wen-han, Way, Kat, Luis, Michael (18)

:lol:
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Dan 寫:Sounds like there were some interesting sessions held tonight.

I would especially have wanted to attend the Black Lives Matter session. :sorrow: I'm very interested in what Taiwanese think of their police officers. It can't be worse than what many Americans think of their cops--can it?

Is there a setting in this old forum software to trigger notifications when a new topic is posted? I notice that sometimes there isn't much lead time between the posting of topics and when the sessions are held.

Also, what is the waiting list at present for nabbing a hosting slot? I had to steal one from Iris, but that date is still months away. Perhaps we could have a calendar with open slots. If there is already one available, please disregard this suggestion. (I know, I'm very demanding of the new administration, which is managing the sprawling YoYo operation well :wink: )
Hi Dan,
When you are at the forum of "Meeting Topics," scroll down to the bottom. At the left corner you will see a box with words "Subscribe forum." Check that box and you are supposed to get notified whenever there's a new thread. A word of caution, I've never tried this myself and so no guarantee that this is going to work.
Dan
文章: 40
註冊時間: 週四 9月 22, 2016 8:08 pm

文章 Dan »

Hi Kooper,

Thanks for your help. I didn't find the subscribe forum button, even in a translated version of the page. Perhaps when you get a chance, you can send me a screenshot. Meanwhile, I'll look at the updates by visiting the forum.
Felicia.Tong
YOYO member
文章: 20
註冊時間: 週四 3月 15, 2018 8:29 am

文章 Felicia.Tong »

This topic in last month proposed by Andre makes me associate with the super popular and cruel song now. It can help us to picture with the real America. Share with you to catch up the trend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

https://thestandnews.com/international/ ... %E8%9B%8B/
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

He shot the guy in the head!! He did!! :shock:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章