8/18 (Sat.) More JoMO, Less FoMO (Host:Annie)

回覆文章
Annie Zhang
YOYO member
文章: 24
註冊時間: 週四 2月 09, 2012 12:03 am

8/18 (Sat.) More JoMO, Less FoMO (Host:Annie)

文章 Annie Zhang »

Article 1: (Source: TIME)
This Is The Best Way to Overcome Fear of Missing Out

Article 2 (Source: The New York Times)
How to Make This the Summer of Missing Out

To Sum Up
Here’s where FOMO comes from and how to beat it:
• FOMO starts with sadness. For the best way to feel better and stop the problem before it starts.
• Social media makes it worse, not better. Facebook isn’t evil — but relying on it for happiness is.
• Happiness is about attention. Focus on the good and you will feel good.
• Gratitude is essential. Imagine losing the things you’re lucky to have and you will appreciate them.

Here’s how best to do JOMO:
• Know that you likely have a problem.
• Monitor your digital diet as you would your food diet.
• Manage people’s expectations of you (and set them low).
• Do things with intention.
• Hold the tech industry accountable.

Session I
Before kicking off the discussion, you should know these words:
• Phubbing: The word phubbing is a combination of ‘phone’ and ‘snubbing’. A phubber is defined as a person who ignores the real people around them because they are concentrating on their phones
• FOMO: Fear of Missing Out— It’s an underlying form of anxiety that we’re missing out on something or that other people are having more fun than us.
• JoMO: Joy of Missing Out— is about disconnecting, opting out and being O.K. just where you are.

Questions for Discussion
1. Do you have a phubbing problem? how long do you spend on your smartphone? Do you know someone who is a phubber?
2. FoMO leads you to check social media again and again and again so you don’t feel out of the loop. Do you suffer from FoMO? What the negative influence might be on people’s relationships?
3. On average, adults spend four hours a day with their social feeds. Do you have any suggestions to help people who have FoMO? (to enhance the quality of the relationships as well as the overall well-being.)

Session II
Questions for Discussion
1. From Article 2, “A lot of the time, we fail to recognize the moments in our lives actually become our lives. The moments that we’re spending on our computer checking email slowly accumulate to hours and days, time we’re not spending living our lives.” Do you have this moment? Are you aware of your priorities of your daily lives?
2. As author mentions in the article 2, it’s about tuning out the noise and letting go of the “shoulds” and of worrying you’re doing something wrong or could be making a better choice. Like being intentional with your time, do you have other tips to break the productivity-killing habits?
3. 70% of employees say they do not disconnect from work even when they're on vacation, according to a LinkedIn survey. What do you think?

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements(20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 8/18 (Sat.) More JoMO, Less FoMO (Host:Annie)

文章 Rock »

"Happiness is about attention. Focus on the good and you will feel good."
-- Good reminder for we Taiwanese these days. Stop watching and reading news la... :lol:

"On average, adults spend four hours a day with their social feeds. Do you have any suggestions to help people who have FoMO?"
-- Join Yoyo English club? :mrgreen:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:"Happiness is about attention. Focus on the good and you will feel good."
-- Good reminder for we Taiwanese these days. Stop watching and reading news la... :lol:

"On average, adults spend four hours a day with their social feeds. Do you have any suggestions to help people who have FoMO?"
-- Join Yoyo English club? :mrgreen:
Guess I have got a head start because I rarely, if ever, read and watch Taiwanese news and I come to YOYO meetings almost every week. :D
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

According to the article, there is a vicious circle like the following.

Unhappiness -> FOMO -> Higher frequency and time on Facebook -> More unhappiness

This is true because I experienced the negative cycle myself and it’s not pleasant!

Over time, I’ve managed to get quite immune to the adverse effects of FB by taking the following approaches:

- Do not install or log in FB on my phone. This is easy given the fact that I have a senior moment and cannot think of the account name and password without help.
- Do not check FB on laptop during work hours. This is also not difficult as I always feel weird checking FB at the office. It’s as if I am up to no good.

On the other hand, LINE is getting more intimidating to me and has gained the upper hand in our fight for control. Just seeing the overwhelming and ever-increasing numbers of unread messages arouses my anxiety, but I haven't found a way out. Any advice? :?
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(16): Anne, Annie (host), Antonio, Christine Hsiu, David Jr., Debby, Ellen Lin, Felicidad, Iris, John Huang, Kooper, Light, Ramesh, Stephen Chiu, Steve Cheng, Tom Lee
回覆文章