11/13 (Tue.) Millennials in the Workplace (Host: Iris)

回覆文章
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Hi All:

Which era do you belong in? Which generation are you at heart? You might have taken some quizzes (as in https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... z/8755959/ or https://www.buzzfeed.com/eugeneyang/generations) and happily found out that you are “mentally younger” or “more mature” than your actual age. And either way we are fooled into being satisfied by the wording described in the test results, aren’t we?

There has been quite a lot discussion about the various generations, such as Generation Silence, Baby Boomer, Generation X, Y and Z, etc. On 11/13, I’d like to single out Generation Y, whose members were born roughly between 1984 to 2000, to carefully scrutinize the traits they possess and how they will impact the future workforce in general. Generation Y or millennials has many other aliases, such as Generation Me, Now Generation, Entitlement Generation, etc. Are they fair descriptions for this generation?

Why do I choose this subject? I have to admit that initially it’s just because I came across a fun interview (with Simon Sinek) on YouTube and some sarcastic videos about millennials’ work ethic. But then, I realized millennials will make up 75% of the global workforce by 2025 and “the millennial way” of thinking may drive certain transformation and shift the priority of some of our core beliefs.

Reading/Listening Materials: (The first three videos are fun to watch)
• Simon Sinek On Millennials in the Workplace: (15-min Interview.)

• A Millennial Job Interview: (3 min)
https://youtu.be/Uo0KjdDJr1c
• Millennials in the Workplace Training Video: (4 min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz0o9cl ... e=youtu.be

Choose one of the articles you like to read:
• Lost Ambition: Taiwan's Millennials Drown in Despair
https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/lost-a ... pair/87884
• The Importance of Millennials in the Workplace
https://mbaonline.pepperdine.edu/blog/i ... workplace/

Session I:
1. Are you a millennial? Do you have millennial children or co-workers? What is your perception of millennials? What characteristics of millennials addressed by Sinek or presented in those YouTube videos match what you see at your workplace or at home?
(Millennials' "characteristics": Tough to manage, entitled, self-interest, narcissistic, unfocused, lazy, need reassuring, cannot function before 10:30am, want to "make impact", need to be pampered...)

2.What is meant by calling millennials “entitled”? Why are millennials often stereotyped as being entitled? Who do you think are more entitled, baby boomers or millennials? Why?

3. According to Simon Sinek, what are the reasons that millennials are unhappy at work?
  • a. First, do you think millennials are unhappier at work than any other generations?
    b. Could you give some examples about “overprotective parents”, “the reach of distracting technology”, “impatience/instant gratification” and “environment” that make Generation Y more despondent?
Session II:
1. If you were part of a debate team and needed to defend millennials, what arguments would you use to embrace the strengths of millennials?

2. If you are a hiring manager and it happens that you have two candidates with similar qualifications (including experience), one is a Millennial and the other is in older generation, what additional interview questions would you ask to distinguish them for your decision?

3. Are Taiwan’s millennials different from the ones portrayed in the YouTube videos? What are the different challenges that Taiwan’s millennials are facing? Do our millennials stand a chance to thrive and succeed? Why or why not?

4. What do you think millennials and baby boomers should change to accommodate the differences and bring out the best in each other? What should our society, schools and business corporations do to attract millennials and to keep them more engaged?

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:50~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:20 ~ 8:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:20 ~ 8:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:30 ~ 9:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:10 ~ 9:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements (20 mins) ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 7:00 pm 到 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Janice Wang
YOYO member
文章: 79
註冊時間: 週六 3月 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: 11/13 (Tue.) Millennials in the Workplace (Host: Iris)

文章 Janice Wang »

Once again, proving that a slackening attitude towards a yoyo meeting can only result in a massive loss to me, missing the opportunity to learn more from the host's meticulous preparation and enriching knowledge. With limited time to grasp the comprehensive coverage regarding the millennials in the workplace, Iris, please tolerate my following writing, which is hindered by a narrow view from my short working career and long-term ignorance on this particular subject. I promise to absorb as much as possible from tomorrow's meeting.

As a mother of a millennial daughter and an aunt of several millennial nieces, nephews, and kids of some friends, there is one ostensible similarity shared amongst all of them - they seem to thrive under a lot of distractions, not only chronically using multiple media outlets but also quite adept at switching between devices and tasks without losing their performance edge. One of my nephews can watch NBA, text, and still manage to beat everyone in a game of MaJiang.

Obviously, these millennials grew up with the rise of technology and social networks, and many researches have proved that digital native’s brains are indeed different, as a result of different growth patterns in the wiring as they age. We might boldly extrapolate that those millennials have been raised to not waste a minute of their time since childhood, they might not know how to function otherwise.

However, when it comes to the highly competitive working battleground, how the multi-tasking approach, millennials ' characteristics in the aforementioned video, and work-ethics related problems will weigh in on a millennial and workplace? I guess “the fittest survive” is the best answer I can provide, as whichever eventually needs to adjust themselves to cope with the reality will excel.

I think each generation was raised in a completely different time with various positives and negatives which certainly brought out some unique qualities to each generation. Aside from our birth years that are different, the truth is that every generation is criticized by their elders for one reason or another. From my past personal experience of turning a deaf ear to whatsoever, I would not dare to criticize my only daughter for the sake of rapport between us; however, I expect to instill one relatively old school concept into her mindset that to treat her career as a marathon, not a sprint as I honestly don’t remember which company she’s working for now.

Looking forward to exchanging some thoughtful discussions and being enlightened by some of our Yoyo millennials!
最後由 Janice Wang 於 週三 5月 20, 2020 1:22 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
JosephYu
YOYO member
文章: 9
註冊時間: 週六 2月 17, 2018 10:00 pm

文章 JosephYu »

In my opinions, the topic is challenging and provocative for debate. Though I am ready to start a war immediately, it would be good to clarify each generation at the beginning.

BABY BOOMERS (born 1946-1964, equivalent to 54-72 years old):
This generation is at the highest position at their age, almost retired or already retired. They grew in the rapid growth era, almost started from nothing but opportunities were everywhere. Anyone endeavored to work had earned premises and wealth. The best of them are founders, leaders or senior executives in organizations.

Strengths 1. Workaholic 2. Committed to their roles

Weaknesses 1. Lack of adaptability to changing world 2. Hard to comprehend new technologies

GEN X (born 1965-1976, equivalent to 42-53 years old):
The generation were born in the afternoon of golden era, in the magic hour that economy haven't faded yet. They got a better living condition compare to baby boomers and benefit from their senior's experience.

Strengths 1. Considered as the best workers by industry 2. The biggest revenue generators overall

Weaknesses 1. Keep quiet if they disagree with management

MILLENNIALS / GEN Y (born 1977-1994, equivalent to 24-41 years old):
We born in an era which the boost was over and class stoped to flow. The experience of previous generations were not useful anymore. Following orders enthusiastically will no longer lead to success, but being exploited. Since rapid wealth unachievable, we have turned into pursuit meaning of life. Whether a job is meaningful became more important than income.

Strengths 1. Considered as the most independent workers 2. Concerned with ethics and the social responsibility

Weaknesses 1. Need to be left to create their own processes rather than being told exactly what to do; 2. Not interested in playing the designated social role; 3. Not treat duty as a sacred goal 4. Impatient for career growth, changing jobs easily

I will say Millennials are not obedient soldiers who wait for commands from their superior and execute without questions, like baby boomers and Gen X did before. They are more like vigilantes who pursue their ideal and justice with their independent thinking. Compared to the previous generation who treat duty and society's obligation as the most important value and willing to sacrifice their life (or health), Millennials start to realize that the loyalty toward Nation or Political party is jeopardizing their own welfare.

Older generations believe Millennials do not fit their imagine of good workers. However, the way Millennials work is totally different from older generations. In my opinion, the reason why Millennials being stigmatized and could not play well in the working place is mainly because previous generations are in their way.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Janice Wang 寫:Once again, proving that a slackening attitude towards a yoyo meeting can only result in a massive loss to myself, missing the opportunity to learn more from the host's meticulous preparation and enriching knowledge.
Once again, proving that Janice’ slackening attitude towards a yoyo meeting can only result in a massive loss to all of us, missing the quality of meticulous writing and down-to-earth opinions!
(*** See, how nice to “borrow” her writing skills and learn from it! :wink: )

I agree that every generation tries to criticize or sell short their next generations, and I am sure younger generations all try to defend or fight back the stereotypes and oversimplified generalization they received.

Hope you all get time to think and stand for what you believe in the discussion!
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

JosephYu 寫:In my opinions, the topic is challenging and provocative for debate. Though I am ready to start a war immediately, it would be good to clarify each generation at the beginning.
Hey, Joseph, you “Cheesy Little Bastard” (as your boss calls you! :lol: )!
You screwed up my plan! I was going to make a survey and group millennials and non-millennials into Generation Y and Z!
Now since you labeled each generation bucket so specifically, we have to jump into the right bucket. I think many will not show up just because of your clarification!!! :roll: (Haha! Just a joke!)

But you definitely elaborated many good arguments for your generation and very effectively attacked the older generations. I wonder who are willing to stand up and fight back for Gen. X and Baby Boomers?
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Attendees: Miller, Amy, Janice, Joseph, Sherry, Steve, Liwen, Felicia, Ellen, Tim, Luis, David Jr., James, Devry, Sabrina,Tashi, Shirley, Julian, Iris(host).
回覆文章