1/26 Rescue Yourself! You're NOT a Princess...Anymore!

回覆文章
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

1/26 Rescue Yourself! You're NOT a Princess...Anymore!

文章 Georgia »

This club has been around and standing tall for over decades. It's about time we take it to the next level and try something that requires slightly advanced speaking skills. There will be no questions for discussion in session 1 as I want each and every member to:
1. Actually dive into the following articles;
2. Acquire the skills of how to get the ball rolling during a meaningful discussion.

You will have to read the articles; otherwise you won't have enough information to begin with. (Yup, that's the idea.)
So, please read and enjoy.

Kristen Bell thinks Disney's 'Snow White' sends bad messages to girls
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kri ... 13259.html
Rescue yourself!': Keira Knightley on why her daughter can't watch Cinderella
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/o ... snow-white

In session 2, there will be a few questions to discuss. I want all of you to take off your rose-colored goggles and for once, take a hard look at the New Year's holiday and tell us what you disagree with the holiday traditions or unwritten rules.

Session 1: Please share your opinions on the two articles above.
Session 2
Questions for Discussion:

1. How do you usually celebrate the last day of the year? Compare how you celebrated it ten years ago and now. What changed and what hasn't changed? Why or why not?
2. What do you think of the fireworks around the world on New Year's Eve? How much do you enjoy it? Would you go through the trouble and possible expense at losing a phone and a wallet for the fun?
3. Chinese New Year is just around the corner. Things must have shifted for all of us when we entered adulthood. The table has turned! What are the major differences between celebrating this holiday in your childhood and adulthood? Do you like the changes?
4. What flaws do you see in the ways people celebrate New Year holidays? What can we do to help?
5. What do you think the world would be like if we no longer celebrate New Year's Day?
6. Do you still make New Year's resolutions? How is that working out for you?

Wish you all a happy new year and a very good life!

本聚會不提供討論問題紙本,需要的人請自行列印

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization / Regrouping (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Break
(Session II)
5:30 ~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10 ~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements (20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 4:00 pm 到達 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 1/26 Rescue Yourself! You're NOT a Princess...Anymore!

文章 Kooper »

Dear all, the host Georgia won't make it to the meeting tomorrow. I'll stand in for her hosting the meeting. :ssmile:

BTW, if you're running out of time, I suggest you start with the second article Rescue yourself!': Keira Knightley on why her daughter can't watch Cinderella because it also touches the theme of the first one.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Folk tales created centuries ago were inevitably influenced by social contexts at that time. It’s not a surprise if they deliver values or belief that’re deemed outdated by today’s standards. The same goes for all the literature masterpieces in the old days; classic movies shot decades ago are no exception. Should we ban all of them because they're not politically correct in the eye of the modern beholder? I would be hesitate to say yes.

These works survive generations after generations as a result of their great literary or art values. They’re good stories to appreciate too.

Children are sponges that soak up everything, as Kristen Bell put it. I think as long as what they take have enough variety - no matter whether parents agree with the embedded messages – parents should tie their hands from over intervention. This may sound a bit too hands-off. But the argument here is that when parents overdo censorship themselves, aren’t they imposing their own belief on the kids?
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(22): Andy Liu, Blithe, David Jr., Douglas, Felicidad, Gloria, Jacy, John Huang, Julian, Kat, Ken, Kooper, Leon, Luis, Michael, Rock, Stephen Chiu, Steve Cheng, Tim, Tom Lee, Wendy, Winston
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

文章 Georgia »

Thank you for stepping in, Kooper. I hope it went well. :)
回覆文章