4/13(Sat) Belt and Road / Farming in cities (Host: Winston)

回覆文章
李昰翰
YOYO member
文章: 50
註冊時間: 週一 12月 17, 2018 8:37 pm

4/13(Sat) Belt and Road / Farming in cities (Host: Winston)

文章 李昰翰 »

Dear Yoyoer,
It’s my first time servicing as a host for the meeting, and I wish you all an enjoyable time sharing at the coming meeting. The ‘Belt and Road Initiative’ (BRI) has been gaining massive attention worldwide since China announced its huge concept in 2013. The conception on covering economic geography and demography is quite comprehensive which makes it not possibly to go through every aspect of this idea at the meeting. Although the terms of the investment might be varied a lot based on different regions of partnering countries engaged for complex reasons economically and politically, overall specking, we might boldly make an assumption on this huge concept to be deemed as a global version of closed to “BOT” (Build-Operate-Transfer) led by China. What benefits can the players in this project gain for? Who might doubt and oppose it? In the meeting, let’s choose some of the questions from this big project in-thinking together.

Section I
Belt and Road: What’s in it for China?
Epic, expansive, and ambitious it may be, but it’s also innovative and pragmatic

BY LAUREN JOHNSTON
https://www.policyforum.net/belt-road-whats-china/

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/app5.265

Questions:
1. There are plenty of questions people might be interested in, doubted, or objected. Who were interested in getting involved with this project? What are great power countries’ attitude and reaction on this magnificent concept provided by China such as USA, Europe, Russia, India and Japan?
2. The ‘Belt’ is understood as referring to China’s historical trade partners along the Eurasian continent, and the ‘Road’ more to developing countries in Asia and Africa, but especially coastal developing countries of the Indo-Pacific Rim. What are the possible purposes for the deployment on the routs?
3. Taking an example to think about, one of the prominent among BRI projects seeking to tap that advantage in Kenya is the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR). Inaugurated on May 31, 2017, the 480‐km railway connects passengers and freight between the Kenyan capital Nairobi and the country's most important port city, Mombasa….. Why is this project meaningful for China?
4. China’s approach to supporting the financing of such major infrastructure projects is conceptualized as ‘patient capital’. Do you think it’s a win-win strategy for the creditor and debtor countries? Why and what?

Section II
Opinion: Why Cities Are the Future for Farming
Self-described nerd farmer Caleb Harper wants you to join his league of high-tech growers.

BY CALEB HARPER
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envi ... te-change/

Questions:
1. Do you think it is a great idea for farming in cities? Why? How will it make possibilities on supply of foods? Are there any examples for farming in cities in Taiwan? Can farming in cities solve the shortage of food supply issue?
2. The article mentioned that In the U.S. alone, only 2 percent of the population is involved in farming, with 60 percent of our farmers above the age of 58. How about the situation in Taiwan? Will there be any policy or ideas to encourage young people engaging in farming career.
3. The author anticipates that eventually high-tech urban farming will account for at least 30 to 40 percent of an individual’s diet, the invaluable “product” of human-centered endeavors like farm stands and school and urban gardens lies in weaving communities together and building a foundation for food education. Do you think these ideas are feasible and suitable for Taiwan as well?
4. During World War II, victory gardens were planted both in private residences and public parks to boost morale as much as food supply. Will it be great to adopt these ideas to Taipei city? Why? What will you suggest to mayor Taipei for policy on these ideas? By the way are there any urban areas which can provide good circumstance for implementation on farming cities for food supply in Taiwan.
5. What are the positive outcomes potentially for urban farming ideas? The author proposes quite an innovative term “the food computer” and a database of climate “recipes”. What are your comments on the innovative ideas? Will it gain popularity for cities in the world, and make it come true for one of the practical solutions for food supply in the world.

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization / Regrouping (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Break
(Session II)
5:30 ~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10 ~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements (20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 4:00 pm 到達 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
李昰翰
YOYO member

Re: 4/13(Sat) Belt and Road / Farming in cities (Host: Winst

文章 李昰翰 »

Hi, everyone,
YOYO meeting has been conducting in a way providing article links for participants to read prior to attending the meeting. It induced the attendees to think of the topics and deliver the pros and cons of viewpoints sharing together. The approach of the meeting actually is closed to the formation of the deliberate democracy where provides a platform for people from different background to read relevant data in advance, then join a forum host by an official authority as a way to correct the in-sufficient of the election at digging out of what people really want on public policy. We are actually sharing of informative pleasure together.

It’s forthcoming for my first trial of hosting the meeting. It took me a morning to search and finalize the two topics on ” Belt and Road Initiative “ and “Why cities are the future for farming”. Both topics raised concerns on public or international issues which were fed with broad scope to explore why, what, outcome, and how come. For the second topic “Why cities are the future for farming”, The current world population has reached 7.69 billion comparing to 3 billion in 1960, and it’s estimated to hit 10 billion in 2055. Can our planet sustain the consumption of the increasing world population? The author worked at the MIT Mdia Lab where he run the Open Agriculture Initiative, developing digital farming through so-called “the food computer” along with aeroponic technology for which comes with a “climate box” installed a network of sensors to monitor a plant’s water, nutrient, and carbon needs and deliver optimal light wavelength, not just for photosynthesis but to change flavor aiming to provide a climate “recipes” to diversify the flavors of the vegetable cultivated. Is it one of the feasible solutions to solve potential food shortage crisis in the future? The article mentioned the most cutting edge are “agr-culturing” companies like Modern Meadow and Perfect Day, culturing meat from mammalian cells and fermenting milk from yeast, moving meat and dairy production into cities. The pioneering companies are working out the solutions for possible food shortage issues in the future.

I posted the topics at beginning of Mar for “pre-marketing” to early-birds of YOYO companions. I aspire the articles might spur up you for sharing of various ideas and have fun in the coming meeting. See you…
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) is an ambitious and multi-pronged project. Even after reading several articles on it, I still found myself unable to get my head around it. Bear with me that whatever I write here might merely scratch the surface.

Looking at BRI at a very high-level, I’d say China strategically aim to shatter existing global rules and power distribution. Current global village runs under intergovernmental organizations such as the United Nations (UN), the International Monetary Fund (IMF), or the World Trade Organization (WTO). These organizations are traditionally under great influence of developed countries led by America. As a challenger to vested interests, China chose not to follow their rules, and not to play in the battle fields – the three mentioned international institutions – set by them. For instance, to countries that have joined the BRI, the Asian Infrastructure Investment Fund could matter more and will possibly weaken or replace the role of IMF and WTO in the future.

After the World War II, America financed and assisted Western Europe rebuild through its Marshall Plan. In return, US became the world leader among non-communist countries. It was a win-win situation. China took the cue and is trying to follow suit with the BRI. If it works, China will earn a role and influence in the Third World like what the USA have to developed countries.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Congratulations to Winston’s hosting debut!

YoYo is a platform for us to learn many things. I think we all have been there - trying to devote all the energy and “pour our purse into others’ head” for our first time! :)
There is no disputable enthusiasm in our host’s post and the question list!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

BRI is a massive project. There are explicit reasons which people can talk out loud, such as mutual benefits, economic growth for all, etc., but devil is in the details, or more specifically, in this case, devil is probably hidden in the “inconvenient truth”, something unspeakable.

What are those unspeakable? Gifts blind the eyes. There’s no free lunch. What you gain today will have price to pay tomorrow.
For China, what they pay today, they certainly want something back in the near future. Unfortunately, that’s the inconvenient truth!
Win-win situation? You will need to have a very good calculator and 20/20 forward vision.

City Farming is kind of nice. I don’t like to go to market, so it’s convenient to grow vegetables at home merely by a remote control. :)
But the catch could be something like GMO, which we don’t see any issues now, but potentially affect our health in the future?
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Nature has healing powers to mind even when it’s man-made, such as parks, gardens, or agricultural fields. Staying in close proximity of them helps relieve stress, anxiety and brings us inner rest. Urban farming, like gardening, re-connect city residents to Mother Nature as their ancestors used to do.

Besides benefiting city dwellers mentally and physically, urban farming has the potential to strengthen community ties through, say, exchanging of produce that have been grown or stimulating more social interactions during farming – growing plants is a perfect topic for small talk.

There is even more to the farm-city reunion than meets the eye: high-tech farming creates new forms of jobs in cities. Its trend towards dirtlessness and away from strenuousness could win the heart of younger generations and rejuvenate agricultural workforce that is fast aging otherwise.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

I don’t doubt the skepticism that China has a hidden agenda behind the BRI, as Iris pointed out. International politics is often realistic and sometimes even callous. Chances are high that not many nations would help troubled others at the expense of their own interests, or do it simply out of humanitarianism and unconditionally. The US and EU often act as if they are morally superior, but they’re no exception.

What I like about the BRI is it proves that China’s ambition to surpass the America as the most dominating superpower isn’t just lip service. As a saying puts it, “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” Japanese and Europeans have never meant to top the world and so they ended up following Americans’ lead. The stakes have climbed ski-high after China doubled down and launched the BRI in 2013, but that also have earned China the one and only challenger seat against the defending champion United States. Time will tell if the attempt is wise or dumb.
李昰翰
YOYO member

文章 李昰翰 »

Attendees (18) : Iris, Christine, Gloria, Timathy, Kooper, Alice, Leon, David, Stephen, Jacy, Luis, Ken, Lulu, Tim, Tashi, Julian, Georgia, Winston
回覆文章