6/15(Sat.) Counterclockwise (Host: Gloria Lo)

回覆文章
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

6/15(Sat.) Counterclockwise (Host: Gloria Lo)

文章 Gloria Lo »

Hi, this is Gloria. It’s my honor and also my pleasure to host.

Where the topic is from, you might ask. It started from a video sent by my friend the other day. I was impressed with it so much and tried to google the original source and relevant materials. It’s about mindfulness and becoming young again. Hope you like it.

Here is my advice on how to prepare for the meeting: The following article is a general introduction about Langer’s study. Finishing below reading material is totally enough for meeting discussion. But if you are intrigued in the topic and want to know more, welcome to watch the other 3 YouTube videos at the bottom and share your thoughts in the meeting. Thank you.

Reading material
A radical experiment tried to make old people young again — and the results were astonishing
https://www.businessinsider.com/ellen-l ... ent-2015-4

Questions for discussion
Session 1
1. Please brief the main-points of the article/videos. What’s your viewpoint about the experiment? Which part of the article/videos impressed you most?

2. In Ellen Langer’s speech, she mentioned the power of “mindfulness” and “Wherever you put the mind, you're necessarily putting the body." Please share your ideas and experiences about it.

3.“Your own expectations, and the expectations of others, are powerful.”
No matter you agree with it or not, how do you apply it to your life or avoid being affected by it?

4. Please talk about the elderly around you. Both positive and negative examples are welcomed.

Bonus question (strongly suggest.....)
5.Did you use "I'm too old" as an excuse to avoid doing something before? If it happens a again, what's the alternative way to respond to it in terms of having the mindset of being young?

6."Mindful meditation may be the enemy of activism"(from the article: Mindfulness Conspiracy). What's your opinion?

Session 2
1. Do you think you have or had enough autonomy in different life stages? Does having your own autonomy make any difference in your life? Please talk about the reasons. How to make yourself a more independent decision maker?

2.“No matter your age, this (nursing home) is not an environment in which most people thrive.” What setting makes you mentally/ physically “thrive” and how to create that kind of setting, either now or 20 years from now?

3. In the eyes of her academic peers, Langer’s research is considered ”so unorthodox and so lacking in rigor.” Do you agree with the criticism? Why or why not? Take a wild guess why she didn’t do further study on this topic?

4. After reading the article, will you make any changes in your lifestyle? And, will you change the way you treat your parents or the elderly around you? What activity makes you experience the bliss of mindfulness and enter the flow state?

Bonus question
5.Have you witnessed any aging's negative effects in your surroundings? Please talk about them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional videos for reference
1. 哈佛教授實驗證明:「只要相信」就能變年輕!(10:00)
(It’s the video sent by my friend the other day)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Guxu8bDwE

2. Ellen Langer 'Counterclockwise: the power of possibility' at Happiness & Its Causes 2012 (25:33)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZffBAefwUM

3.PNTV: Counterclockwise by Ellen Langer (13:58)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-0pravULq0

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements(20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 16:00 pm 到達 ~ 約 18:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先看過影片或閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 Gloria Lo 於 週六 6月 15, 2019 1:09 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 6/15(Sat.) Counterclockwise (Host: Gloria Lo)

文章 Rock »

頭像
Andy
Vice President
文章: 116
註冊時間: 週五 12月 17, 2004 4:36 pm
來自: Taipei

文章 Andy »

頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Rock, Andy and Shirley,
I fixed it.
Thank you for helping. :P :P :P
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Dear Michelle found a ted talk related to this topic and shared with us. :lol: :wink: :D

Change your mindset, change the game | Dr. Alia Crum | TEDxTraverseCity
(18:20)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqq66zwa7g
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

First of all, I think this topic is NOT for me. I am pretty “young” and really don’t need to be young again!
Secondly, “clockwise” sounds more natural to me and I would not start a fight against nature! :P

All joking aside, mindfulness or to be more mindful on the present, and carefully observe our thoughts and feelings without judging them are all great ways to help us cope better with our lives.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Iris Wu 寫:First of all, I think this topic is NOT for me. I am pretty “young” and really don’t need to be young again!
I think I am already experiencing "counterclockwise" (sounds like bragging, ha ha ha), but just didn't know how it worked.
To some degree, this experiment might explain how it happened. :lol: :lol: :lol:
李昰翰
YOYO member
文章: 49
註冊時間: 週一 12月 17, 2018 8:37 pm

文章 李昰翰 »

Iris, I’m sure you’re pretty young for the sharp eyes on topics coming out with your great ideas always.

Keeping young probably gain massive attention by people, especially for woman; that’s why the more expensive for the cosmetics of stuff, the more ladies crazy for it. There are different approaches for keeping young. Some people choose to use more superior quality of cosmetics, diet control, or eating nutrient food alleged for healthy and staying young. Some people work out plans by doing exercise or taking sleep earlier. The former one comes with some sort of material functioning externally and internally to your body while the latter one adopts physical way to train your body or take sufficient rest for body to refill with energy. Today’s topic points out the third modality to access possibility for keeping young by mindset approaches. Mindset is a set of mind, and mindfulness to young is the outcome from a setting of a positive mind helpful for you to recognize surrounding people, stuff, events, messages all associated with what age young should be on cognitive of ego as a result of making yourselves vigorous and energized. The third one comes with mental modality and can be applied to first or second approaches. No matter what you do by material functioning, physical exercise, sufficient rest, or mental activities, as long as you’ll mindset a positive thought toward what you want to do, you might be surprised with the miracle outcome by return.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

李昰翰 寫:Iris, I’m sure you’re pretty young for the sharp eyes on topics coming out with your great ideas always.

Keeping young probably gain massive attention by people, especially for woman; that’s why the more expensive for the cosmetics of stuff, the more ladies crazy for it. There are different approaches for keeping young. Some people choose to use more superior quality of cosmetics, diet control, or eating nutrient food alleged for healthy and staying young. Some people work out plans by doing exercise or taking sleep earlier. The former one comes with some sort of material functioning externally and internally to your body while the latter one adopts physical way to train your body or take sufficient rest for body to refill with energy. Today’s topic points out the third modality to access possibility for keeping young by mindset approaches. Mindset is a set of mind, and mindfulness to young is the outcome from a setting of a positive mind helpful for you to recognize surrounding people, stuff, events, messages all associated with what age young should be on cognitive of ego as a result of making yourselves vigorous and energized. The third one comes with mental modality and can be applied to first or second approaches. No matter what you do by material functioning, physical exercise, sufficient rest, or mental activities, as long as you’ll mindset a positive thought toward what you want to do, you might be surprised with the miracle outcome by return.
It appears that Winston studies hard on the subject of staying young. Thank you so much for supporting me.
In my opinion, mindfulness is the cheapest way to achieve that. And, it is also the next big public health revolution.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

After watching the videos shared by Gloria and Michelle, I started believing that our mindset does matter and could be more powerful than I thought. Placebo effect has been scientifically proven to exist in medical treatment and, as one of the speakers pointed out, is a strong testament to the power of mindset.

Obviously the power of mind cannot measure up to superpower. It has limits and could never, say, regenerate limbs that have been cut off. The burning issue now is that we badly underestimate its efficacy, not the other way around.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Attendees (20)
Shirley, Sabrina, Ryu, Leon, Julian, Kooper, Jennifer, Ken, Rock, Winston, Iris, Antonio, Newman, Tim Lo, Jerry, Rosie, Michelle, Gloria (Host), Holly, Alice

Thanks for coming. Hope you like it.:wink: :D :lol:
回覆文章