7/13(Sat) Organ transplantation and donation (Host: Blithe)

回覆文章
Blithe
YOYO member
文章: 5
註冊時間: 週三 10月 24, 2018 8:24 pm

7/13(Sat) Organ transplantation and donation (Host: Blithe)

文章 Blithe »

Hi, everyone. I’m Blithe.
We hear organ transplantation and organ donation frequently, but don’t really have a chance to discuss them.
Today, let’s talk about them!
Before we start this topic, you can read the material below. The articles could give you some basic knowledge about organ transplantation and organ donation.
Donation and Transplantation: How does it work?
What You Need to Know About Organ Transplants

There are thousands of people in Taiwan waiting for organ transplantation, but most of them can’t make it before they die.
Here is a commercial of organ donation.
The Most AMAZING commercial ever!!! - Coleman Sweeney
And you can sign organ donation consent easily on the website and send permit to organ donation association.
中華民器官捐贈協會-器官捐贈同意書

Session one
1.Do you have the experience of blood donation? Why do you want to, or not want to, donate your blood?
2.Will you donate your organ if you are brain dead? Why or why not?
3.If your family members (partner, parents or children) have liver disease and need transplantation and you are found to be a suitable liver donor, would you like to donate your liver to them?
4.Do you agree on presumed consent (推定意願) for organ donation in Taiwan?
(What is presumed consent?)

Session two

In most countries, including Taiwan, organ trade is illegal. However, it happens every day around the world. This is the article about organ trade.
A look inside the murky world of the illegal organ trade
1. If you (or your family members) need organ transplantation urgently to save your life, will you look to organ trade? Why or why not?
2. Do you think doctors in Taiwan should prescribe patients immunosuppressive drug (immunosuppressant) if they know the patients have received organs via black market?
3. Do you think organ cloning will happen in the future? Do you agree on it?
(Could we clone our organs to be used in a transplant?)
4. Will you accept transplant of cloned organs to live longer?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 7/13(Sat) Organ transplantation and donation (Host: Blit

文章 Iris Wu »

Great topics!

It's so wonderful that YoYo has members with such diversified professional expertise. It has been a busy week and I was thinking I might skip the meeting, but when I looked the contents, I was thrilled by the intention and diligence of the host. "Presumed Consent" will be a debatable subject, but nevertheless it raises and promotes the awareness.
I did not check the statistics, but organ donation rate is probably low in Taiwan. If this discussion can inspire some people to consider and maybe put in action, then, the effort is worthwhile.
Blithe
YOYO member
文章: 5
註冊時間: 週三 10月 24, 2018 8:24 pm

文章 Blithe »

Iris, thanks for your reply. In fact, I'm not a professional of organ transplantation and even not familiar to it. So, I also learned a lot from preparing this topic. Today, we will not discuss about the medical aspect of it too much, but focus more on its ethical aspect and its impact in our life. I hope we will not discuss it too seriously today and could get a lot of inspiration from it.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(16): Apple, Blithe (host), Christina, Christine Hsiu, Iris Wu, Jerry, Julian, Kevin, Kooper, Sabrina, Shirley, Steve Cheng, Tim, Tina Fang, Timothy, Tom Lee
回覆文章