8/10 (SAT) Yes! Let’s Talk about Fuck-ups (Host: Annie)

回覆文章
Annie Zhang
YOYO member
文章: 24
註冊時間: 週四 2月 09, 2012 12:03 am

8/10 (SAT) Yes! Let’s Talk about Fuck-ups (Host: Annie)

文章 Annie Zhang »

It seems that everywhere we look on social media, we are surrounded by endlessly successful stories, and always with exciting and positive news to share. We know,we have all experienced failure, and we all have made mistakes, but we tend to avoid talking about it. Let's getting ready to pull back the curtain on the fuck-ups and mistakes the coming Saturday!

Sources: 

1. Yes, you should tell everyone about your failures
https://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170 ... r-failures

2. Don’t fail fast, fail mindfully
https://www.ted.com/talks/leticia_gasca ... ly#t-53676

3. Jeremy Lin breaks down over NBA free agency: 'it just keeps getting more rock bottom’
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgzT7-jpzEY

--------
Session 1
Discussions:

1. In the article, it says countries like Japan, Germany or Mexico, aren’t used to talking about failure, they are enjoying talking about success. Do you think people focus too much on appearing to be successful in Taiwanese society? Why people tend to share the achievements, and hide the failures?

2. Why is money the most common way of judging success? How do you define success?

3. Is there a right time to give up and stop trying? Or should you never give up?

4. Talk about a time you fucked up or made the mistakes. (Don’t talk about anything that will make you uncomfortable or embarrassed.)

5. Have there been any failures that made your life better? What did you learn from mistakes?

Session 2
Discussions:

1. The fear of failure stops us from trying, what’s one small activity you haven’t tried because you fear failing?

2. What’s your reaction when you suffer a setback? How do you manage your struggles, especially when you have negative emotions? How to deal with them?

3. Jeremy Lin broke down in a Christian group in Taiwan, and revealed that he thought the NBA has given up on him. Can you think of any famous people who also faces struggles, or who failed spectacularly at something?

4. Jeremy Lin opened up the challenges he's been facing: "in English, there is a saying that once you hit rock bottom, the only way is up. But rock bottom seems to be getting more and more rock bottom for me." If you were Jeremy Lin's friend, when your friend tell you that he/ she cannot accept big failure in their lives, what will you do?

5. Corresponding to the question 4, there is a saying: "when you hit rock bottom, the only way is up!" Do you agree or disagree? Can you think of the quotes or idioms about failure that you fully agree or you think it is a totally bullshit? 

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 8/10 (SAT) Yes! Let’s Talk about Fuck-ups (Host: Annie)

文章 Rock »

Yes! Let's talk about fxxk-ups-- David's favorite pet phrase. But I wonder if we can do it as good as he does.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:Yes! Let's talk about fxxk-ups-- David's favorite pet phrase. But I wonder if we can do it as good as he does.
We can’t because the four letter word has become David’s trademark, but don't forget that we have something else that’s equally good, such as “I think that is (/they are) stupid” by Rock and “I’m cynical and skeptical” by Luis.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

We are afraid to talk about failures because it makes us look weak and incompetent, none of which the modern societies are saluting. There is a strong tendency to believe that winners earned their success as a result of exceptional abilities, strong characters and hard work while losers are lazy, weak, or hopelessly lack talent. To what degree the luck of the draw play a role in either a success or a failure has often been underestimated. To cut the causal link between outcomes and abilities is challenging because we will be forced to admit that the world is actually a product of random forces and events and that we have very little control over it.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Jeremy Lin’s emotional breakdown reflects his upset of not measuring up to the standard as a great or at least a long-time starring NBA player, which apparently is the bar he set for himself. There has been voices saying that Lin shouldn’t feel sad because he has been very successful. Indeed by many standards he has achieved a lot. He is the selected few who both graduated from a prestigious university like Harvard and became an NBA player, earning a fortune higher than most people in the globe. As an eight-year NBA player, Lin has outperformed those who made a splash in NCAA but ended up undrafted or short-lived in NBA. Unlike many mediocre NBA players who had a hard time being remembered for any impressive plays, Lin had his moments. Linsanity was phenomenal and is etched on the mind of many NBA fans, particularly fans of New York Knicks. Being the first Asian point guard who survived NBA not by his height, Lin has earned himself a pioneering place in the history of basketball.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not criticizing Jeremy Lin for wallowing in self-pity. Instead I feel empathetic with the struggling he is experiencing. There is a saying that goes like: Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars. Well said! It encourages people to dream big and act big. What the quote doesn’t say loud is that the frustration will be extremely bitter in consequence of the sky-high bar. Lin dreamed big and thus hit the rock bottom hard. What further deepens his frustration is probably that he feels being unfairly treated in NBA all the time and doesn't get the same opportunity or respect as other players because of his Asian background.
頭像
Christine
YOYO member
文章: 197
註冊時間: 週三 8月 31, 2005 7:34 pm

文章 Christine »

I don't remember whether we've talked about failure in any Yoyo's gatherings before?
Thanks Annie to bring this topic for this Saturday's discussion.

Like most people, I'm really afraid of talking about my failure, mainly because of I'm embarrassed, probably also mixed with the feeling of guilt as the
article mentioned. However, I do feel the event "Fuck Up Night" looks so interesting to me. People shared their failure stories, the event gave them the opportunities not only to face the failure, but also learnt from re-framing failure as lessons and become stronger.

Looking forward to the meeting today. :ssmile:
頭像
Christine
YOYO member
文章: 197
註冊時間: 週三 8月 31, 2005 7:34 pm

文章 Christine »

Participants(27):Annie,Andrea(newcomer),Lewis,Gloria,Holly,Laura,Kooper,Jenifer,Arthur,Amy,Christine,Way,Ken,Jerry,John,Michelle,Tim,Julian,David Jr.,Jason,Leon,Morris,Rosie,Sebrina, Steve, Sunny, Shirley

I’m happy to announce that Jason is the official member now. Welcome to join the big family! :D
回覆文章