8/31 (Sat.) What is a Waste of Time (Host: Rock)

回覆文章
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

8/31 (Sat.) What is a Waste of Time (Host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

Hi, guys, this is Rock. I am supposed to be the host on 8/31, but I may not be able to show up. Anyway, I'm bringing up this topic. Hope things can be done on schedule lo.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/The- ... sted-money
https://www.fastcompany.com/3050146/how ... te-of-time

A few days ago, I overheard an interesting scene between a father and a son. As I walked down the block, I saw the boy (about fourteen years old or so) in front of the house, doing some finishing work on a skateboard. He was sandpapering it vigorously as I approached and kept touching the finish. It looked really good, and I was impressed.

Just as I neared the house, I saw an older man (who I’d assume was the boy’s father or stepfather) come out of the house and yell at the boy, “Are you still wasting time on that stupid skateboard?” The boy seemed to ignore him, but the man walked over and kicked the skateboard as I was walking past and continued to yell at the boy for wasting his time with skateboards. I tried not to stare and just listened as I walked away from them.

Given the type of craftsmanship I saw on that skateboard, I would have strongly encouraged my son to keep it up rather than berating him for “wasting his time.” From there, I began to wonder what exactly a waste of time – or a waste of money – really is.... (Click the link above to read the original article.)

Questions:
1. What is the common definition of "a waste of time"? What things are usually considered as a waste of time? Please make the list as long as you can by brainstorming, then talk about the items on the list.
2. Please share something of yours that could be a waste of time to others but not to you.
3. Do you agree with the proverb "Time is money"? Why or why not? Think of other sayings about "time" and tell people what you think about them.

Session Two
Love is a Waste of Time
https://www.thebridalbox.com/articles/l ... s_0038776/

1. Think of a reason to support that love is a waste of time.
2. Check out the quotes from the article. Pick one and tell us what you think about it.
3. What kind of people are more likely to think that love is a waste of time? Who would never think of love as a waste of time?

**************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements(20 mins)
***************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 16:00 pm 到達 ~ 約 18:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先看過影片或閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Christine
YOYO member
文章: 197
註冊時間: 週三 8月 31, 2005 7:34 pm

Re: 8/31 (Sat.) What is a Waste of Time (Host: TBD)

文章 Christine »

Hi guys,

Rock is the host for the coming Saturday. If he's not able to make it, there'll be someone to be the substitute. :D
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

first of all, i want to clarify what i'm going to say is definitely not a sour grape case. :drink:

i would say that one of the reasons that love is a waste of time is because there would be a period that one would be completely mesmerised by their beloved ones, not being able to think about anything else. it will be a waste of time if the relationship is not productive, and more often than not that's the case haa~ :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

@Luis, yes, "productive" is the keyword, right? :D
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

This is indeed a very typical “Rock” question. :mrgreen: It is Rock’s love to approach a core and unavoidable subject about life from a seemingly simple and harmless question. :twisted:
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

A hidden assumption behind these types of advice is that we should always live intentionally and productively – be it rain or shine, in the line of duty or in our leisure time - working relentlessly toward some life goals. Doesn’t that sound a bit too stressful?

Another covert and subtle message being delivered is that outcomes outvalue the process. Love is not a waste of time only when the princess and the prince live happily ever after.

A third premise the advice is based on is that things have to be dealt with in sequence, not in parallel: we are advised to work on being the best version of ourselves first and later find our love, or according to some extreme advice totally do away with the second half.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hey, Kooper, many thanks to you for the online discussion. It's like you were there with us, too. Though I do prefer to see you in the meeting la! :D
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Attendance: Christine, Jason, Morris, Louis, Debby, Gloria, Jerry, Andy, Tom, Catherine, Tashi, Kat, Stephen, Tim, Blithe, Julian, David, Rock

Thank you all for coming. See you next time.
回覆文章