11/5 (Tue.) How to care for the elderly (Host: Miller)

回覆文章
miller
YOYO member
文章: 97
註冊時間: 週三 5月 09, 2018 6:17 pm

11/5 (Tue.) How to care for the elderly (Host: Miller)

文章 miller »

This is Miller, your host for the meeting on 11/5.
The elderly care problem has always been a source of frequent distress for many families, and it is worse than 20 years ago.
It is becoming a burden to the young generation.
Although Taiwan's health care system is better than many countries, it still can't meet the elderly care requirements.
According to the research of the Ministry of Health and Welfare (MOHW) in 2011, there were about 1.3 million disabled people, 2.3 million caregivers in Taiwan.
And more than 130,000 people quit their jobs to take care of their family members every year.
That's 10% of taiwan's population! What a heavy burden!
For most of us, our parents are either old now or will get to the point needing to be tended in the future.
It is a topic that we will have to address sooner or later.
In session 1, we will discuss the options to look after the elderly.
Then session 2, we will discuss what the filial piety is.

Taiwan Has 250,000 Foreign 'Angels of Mercy' Caring for Its Elderly
https://international.thenewslens.com/article/106432

Session 1:
1.Have you ever had the experience of caring for frail or disabled family members? What's the most difficult challenge of pain and suffering?
2.Would you choose to hire foreign "angels" (caregivers) to care for the elderly? Why or Why not?
3.The foreign caregivers earn less than 10,000 NT per month in the first year. Do you agree to raise their salaries? And would you think that hiring more caregivers from Southeastern Asia is a right way in the long term?
4.Nowadays, most families have just one or two children. After you get older, would you ask your children to take care of you. If not, what else would you do?

Session 2:
What is the filial piety?
The difference of filial piety between American and Chinese.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_ybkzHg6-E

1.How do you define the filial piety? What do you do to show respect to your parents?
2.What are you likely to encounter if you don't honor your parents? Is it really necessary to honor your parents in Chinese culture?
3.In Chinese culture, we often take that children should be obedient and paying for parents' caregiving cost for granted. Should we pass down this concept to the next generation?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:50 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & free talk / ordering drinks / getting newcomer’s information
7:00 ~ 7:20pm Opening remarks / newcomer’s self-introduction / grouping
(Session I)
7:20 ~ 8:20pm Activities (60 mins)
8:20 ~ 8:30pm Regrouping / instruction / break
(Session II)
8:30~ 9:20pm Activities (50 mins)
9:20~ 9:30pm Concluding remarks / announcements (10 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 7:00 pm 到 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請先閱讀過文章以方便小組討論

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 11/5 (Tue.) How to care for the elderly (Host: Miller)

文章 Luis Ko »

guess today's topic is not that easy to discuss. i would say when it comes to filial piety, especially in Asia, people tend to be politically correct, so to speak. anyway, Let's wait and see lo~ 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 11/5 (Tue.) How to care for the elderly (Host: Miller)

文章 Luis Ko »

it turned out to be that i had been wrong. the discussion was good, if not great. right, i could be wrong most of the time. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
回覆文章