12/7 (Sat.) Voting Behavior / Electoral Fraud (Host: Andy)

回覆文章
頭像
Andy
Vice President
文章: 116
註冊時間: 週五 12月 17, 2004 4:36 pm
來自: Taipei

12/7 (Sat.) Voting Behavior / Electoral Fraud (Host: Andy)

文章 Andy »

Hello! I'm Andy. It's my pleasure to be the host on 12/7. :D

The 2020 Taiwan presidential election is coming. It happens that I also pick a topic somehow related to politics. However, I am not interested in knowing your decision about whom you will vote for in the upcoming presidential election. Instead, it is expected that we can use our lens to filter information and don’t allow other people’s thinking to become our thinking. Independent thinkers would avoid being manipulated by people with specific intentions no matter the intentions are so-called bad or good.

Mass media really influence us a lot. You may refer to the topics that we have discussed as below if you feel interested.
Filter Bubble / Spiral of Silence (Host: Andy)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4662
Social Media User / Internet Troll (Host: Andy)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640

Session I: Voting Behavior
Models of voting behavior | Political participation | US government and civics | Khan Academy

How do people vote? Political scientists have defined several models of voter behavior in an attempt to explain the different motivations of voters:
Party-line voting describes consistently voting for candidates of the same political party at all levels of government.
Rational choice theory describes someone voting in their best interest, supporting the candidate whose platform will give them the most favorable outcomes.
Retrospective voting describes voting based on the recent record in office of a candidate or others in their party.
Prospective voting describes voting based on how a citizen thinks a candidate will act and perform if elected to office.

Structural Realist Model of Voter Behavior
圖檔
Source: https://ppt.cc/fiyAKx, https://ppt.cc/ffuJ7x

The media influences emotional feelings that form voter’s cognitive domains that directly influence voter choice. Cognitive domains are formed in voters’ minds on the basis of affect toward the candidate, which formed in response to the media. This model assumes a mutual interaction between media and cognitive domains, which is moderated by affect or emotional feelings.

“Issues and policies” specified the voter views of the candidate’s standing on the economy, foreign affairs and domestic social issues.
“Candidate image” is related to image of and emotion toward the candidate.
“Current events” was concerned with the voter’s attitude to possible events, which could change his or her voting decision.
“Personal events” included possible pieces of information from the candidate’s personal life that could change the voter’s voting decision.
“Social imagery” included questions on what support, according to the voter, her or his candidate received from various social groups (workers, farmers, entrepreneurs, religious believers, women, men, etc.).
“Epistemic issues” refers to reasons that would justify the perceived satisfaction of voter’s needs offered by the candidate.

圖檔

[Questions]
1.Voter turnout for presidential election in Taiwan has been decreasing over the years. Why do so many eligible voters not vote? What would drive you to vote or not vote?

2.Are voters generally rational? Does it matter for voters to be rational?

3.Do you think the four motivations and the six cognitive domains are enough to explain what voters care about? What are some factors that influence voter’s decision or your decision the most?
--party-line voting, rational choice theory, retrospective voting, prospective voting--
--issues and policies, candidate image, current events, personal events, social imagery, epistemic issues--

4.Women had a higher voter turnout than men in Taiwan’s presidential election based on the statistics. What beliefs might women have around their own political efficacy relative to men?

5.It is true that youth are less likely to vote and older folks are more likely to vote, what cause it different?

6.The confrontation among people with different political beliefs is becoming one of the major causes of the instability of Taiwanese society. How do you feel about the confrontation?

Session II: Electoral Fraud (選舉舞弊/選舉操控)
Electoral fraud, sometimes referred to as election manipulation, is illegal interference with the process of an election, either by increasing the vote share of the favored candidate, depressing the vote share of the rival candidates, or both.

Cambridge Analytica 劍橋分析事件
English reference: https://ourdataourselves.tacticaltech.o ... profiling/
Chinese reference: https://crossing.cw.com.tw/blogTopic.ac ... &nid=12187

Slow Yang Cyber Warriors 楊蕙如網軍事件
English reference: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3828724
Chinese reference https://newtalk.tw/news/view/2019-12-02/334692

P.S. You are encouraged to search more relevant news by the keywords and judge the news by yourself.

[Questions]
1.How do you feel about “Cambridge Analytica”? Are voters easily be manipulated?
2.How do you feel about “Slow Yang Cyber Warriors”? When elections come, media framing, disinformation and fake news emerge everywhere. Do you still think the news media are trustworthy? How can you do media literacy and fact-checking well?
3.How do you feel about concern troll? Why people act as concern trolls?
4.Do voters suffer from some kind of excessive paranoia and anxiety, e.g. pre-election anxiety disorder (PEAD) or post-election stress disorder (PESD)?
How to cope with them or how to overcome your disappointment?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization / Regrouping (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Break
(Session II)
5:30 ~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10 ~ 6:30pm Summarization / Concluding Remarks / Announcements (20 mins)
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 4:00 pm 到達 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元
注意事項: 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
最後由 Andy 於 週六 12月 07, 2019 2:08 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
頭像
Andy
Vice President

Re: 12/7 (Sat.) Voting Behavior / Electoral Fraud (Host: And

文章 Andy »

smear tactics 抹黑
ballot stuffing 做票
iron vote 鐵票
swing vote 游離票
independent voter 中間選民
invisible (undecided) voters 隱性選民
strategic voting / tactical voting 策略性投票,也稱棄保效應
sweep street 掃街
canvassing 拉票
street canvassing 掃街拜票
one-party dominance 一黨獨大
a party in power for a long period of time 長期執政
long possession of the sovereign power 長期執政

paid news 業配文
disinformation 假資訊
fake news 假新聞
wiretap 竊聽
political apathy 政治冷感
cyber warrior / cyberwarfare units 網軍
cyberwar 網路戰
media framing 媒體形塑框架利用認知偏差誤導民眾,帶風向
brainwash 洗腦
logical fallacy 邏輯謬誤
fact-checking 事實查核
media literacy 媒體識讀
sockpuppet account / sock puppet 假帳號/分身帳號
suspend 將(帳號)停權
block 封鎖(帳號)
concern troll 反串
pre-election anxiety disorder (PEAD) 選前焦慮症
post-election stress disorder (PESD) 選後壓力症
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Thank you, Andy, for the well-prepared contents!
I'll spend some time to digest and make some comments tonight!
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

Andy is a professional host, no doubt. :)

We supposed these postings are not easy, who can get the election victory that guess more difficult is ! :|
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

as we can tell from the whole material Andy prepared, no doubt, though i always doubt, he is definitely one of the most hard working hosts in yoyo, if not the most. i love these two topics. they are really quite interesting and good. can't wait!! :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Leon
YOYO member
文章: 256
註冊時間: 週日 5月 30, 2004 9:55 am

文章 Leon »

Good topic!
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

As the December host leader, I’ve to thank all my hosts for their wise choice of topics and resourceful materials. But in the meantime, I guess I am troubling myself with these pile-up abstruse academic paper! When it gets statistics and mathematics models, things just fly over my head. It is beyond me, beyond my brain capacity! :(

The behavior analysis model may be hard to comprehend, but it does help us reflect how rational we are when we vote. The most burdensome thing in today’s election or any campaign is all kinds of illegal, unethical tactics to smear, to tarnish the opponents by making fake news, using troll/concern troll or “fake supporters” in the protests or riots. I guess the tactics are not new, there have been all kinds of counterintelligence and double agents, but the scale and the mission seem quite different. People like Slow Yang purely work for money by fair means or foul. For them the end justifies the means. It’s beyond imagination for such a young girl with such a designing and unscrupulous mind? Technology and science are neutral, but they can be applied to both good and evil sides.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

The topic is a bit demanding to my brain and will power, both of which have been running on fumes after five days of hard work. I finished all the material anyway, but whether they were properly digested into any insight is clearly questionable. Like Iris, I am in over my head now. Bear with me if I make confusing or pointless remarks in the discussion today. :? :wink:
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

same here. i have finished most of them but, it seems as if what i read was something which had been taken out of context, so that i still can't understand the whole picture of it. :lol:

anyway, just read a not so relevant article. if you guys are interested, here's the link below.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... _BxKJak1ec
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Andy
Vice President

文章 Andy »

Thank you for your coming and sharing. :D

Attendees (23): Andy Liu, Kooper, Jerry, Leon, Morris, Iris, Carmelo, Debby, Laura, Michelle, Tim, Christine, David, Tom, Stephen, Steve, Felicidad, Timothy, Douglas, Luis, Kat, Julian, Carrie
回覆文章