12/21(Sat.) Find a new Job! (Jerry Wang)

回覆文章
jerryozoz
YOYO member
文章: 61
註冊時間: 週二 8月 06, 2019 2:18 pm

12/21(Sat.) Find a new Job! (Jerry Wang)

文章 jerryozoz »

Hello yoyo guys, I am Jerry.

Since I changed jobs recently, I would like to discuss something about that in this meeting. I think after graduating from school, most of us have had lots of work-related experience. No matter you like it or not, jobs may take one-third of our time daily in workdays and most people may work about 20 years or longer. So choosing a good job is really important.

The first section is talking about jobs. Please share something interesting you have ever had. The second section, we can talk about interview. It's an important process to get a job. Being environmentally conscious, I will not print the questions, if you think it's not easy to read from the ÝoYo website, you can try this https://hackmd.io/s/H1vjk7x9r. Finally, the questions are not serious at all, just come and have fun to share your own experience! =)

Section1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DVM2Xbx5Ks
1. Do you have any part-time job experience? What is the most unforgettable part-time experience you have ever had?
2. You may have quite a lot different job experience, share the one you think makes you the happiest, the unhappiest or the one that is the most memorable.
3. Do you like your current job? Share your career plan after this job or any plan after retirement?
4. Getting along with managers and colleagues is essential at work, which one do you care about more? Do you consider yourself a good manager or a good colleague?
5. If you are going to give student advice, what would you tell them for choosing jobs?
6. According to the video, work may play 3 roles in your life story: job, career, calling. What role do your work play in your life? Just making money or achieving your life goal?

---

Section2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayOhGRcNt4
1. Please try to demonstrate the interview question "Tell Me About Yourself" after you listen to the video tips.
2. Interview is not only for evaluating the interviewee, but also for the candidate to check out the company. Share the most unforgettable interview experience.
3. The resume matters a lot for getting an interview opportunity. What will you put in your resume?
4. In your experience, do you think academic diplomas is important for someone to get a job? Or how can you overcome it if you don't have outstanding educational background?
5. Are you good at negotiating job salary? Share your tips.
6. Have you ever been an interviewer? What is the first priority when you choose a potential coworker?

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 12/21(Sat.) Find a new Job! (Jerry Wang)

文章 Iris Wu »

Right, interview is not just to be evaluated, but also for the interviewees to check out the company, the mangers, your potential coworkers and the atmosphere/chemistry of the work environment. Sometimes I even asked for the road map of the division or the company and made some comments on that to show your understanding and concern. Sure, you will need to do some homework to bring up valid concern or constructive suggestions.

The other thing I can think of for this discussion is that if anyone has any experience of going back to your previous employer. I mean nowadays we change jobs more frequently than we did in the old days, and our industry is a small world, we are very likely asked/invited to go back by our previous bosses. Any issues with it? How can you be more prepared with this kind of scenario? I had done it twice, but I did not think they were a right move, so just curious how others feel about it.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

i have to say sorry to our rookie host that i might miss out on his debut. this really is not my topic ah~ have a good one then. :drink:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Luis Ko 寫:i have to say sorry to our rookie host that i might miss out on his debut. this really is not my topic ah~ have a good one then. :drink:
Hi Luis,
Although you skip the discussions, don't miss out on the post-gathering dinner because it's the icing on the cake and the cherry on top. :sun:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Iris Wu 寫:The other thing I can think of for this discussion is that if anyone has any experience of going back to your previous employer. I mean nowadays we change jobs more frequently than we did in the old days, and our industry is a small world, we are very likely asked/invited to go back by our previous bosses. Any issues with it? How can you be more prepared with this kind of scenario? I had done it twice, but I did not think they were a right move, so just curious how others feel about it.
I am wondering why going back to a previous employer or supervisor ended up as a wrong move, in particular when it was the same old team or the same company. I've witnessed several successful cases. It is supposed to be an option with least uncertainty, even when it doesn’t look like the most alluring or exciting one. Having had insights into the company culture, team spirit, and leadership style, we should hold a rather realistic expectation of the coming job, including both the pleasant and not-so-pleasant aspects. That largely reduces the chances of disappointment or complaints. The moment we decide to return, we accept to live with whatever problems we have known it could bring.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Expressions from the 2nd video clip:

ground rule
in a nutshell
an engaging, compelling story
Sth is the icing on the cake. It's the cherry on top.
To literally spoon feed the employers into understanding why you're the one and only and perfect fit for this position
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(17): Stephen, Iris, Kooper, Jeff, Leon, Sherry, Steve, Michelle, Timothy, Tom, Lewis, Gloria, Daphne, Julian, Nora (newcomer), Luis, Jerry (host)
回覆文章