1/4(Sat)Declutter your life/Declutter your mind(Host:Sherry)

回覆文章
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

1/4(Sat)Declutter your life/Declutter your mind(Host:Sherry)

文章 Sherry Liao »

Dear YOYOs,

It’s my great honor to host the first meeting of the coming year. Instead of making new plans or stocking up for the new year, it may not be a bad idea to get rid of some excess stuff that we don’t really need in our place or in our mind. This Saturday, please join us and let us know what you think about having a physically and mentally simpler lifestyle!

Session I Declutter your life

DECLUTTER YOUR LIFE » 10 questions to ask yourself

Can decluttering your house really make you happier?
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2019 ... -spark-joy

Are You a Collector, a Pack Rat, or a Hoarder?
https://medium.com/livewithvitality/are ... 1b746682c2?

Q1: Do you know people who have trouble parting with their possessions and keeps piles of clutter in their home? According to the second article, which categories do you think they fall into: collector, pack rat, or compulsive hoarder?

Q2: Do you save belongings you no longer need (from commodities to mementos like books, photos, and handwritten cards)? If so, what are they and why do you keep them? Have you ever felt regret for having thrown off some of your belongings? What are they and why?

Q3: Following the previous question, can collecting these belongings make our lives better? Can we be better off with less stuff? What are the advantages/disadvantages to a simpler and tidier lifestyle?

Q4: Are you good at decluttering your home? Please share your ways and tips with us.

Session II Declutter your mind

How To Declutter Your Mind: 10 Practical Tips You'll Actually Want To Try
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nomanazish ... aca7d324f1

Cluttered or Orderly? Our Surroundings Shape Our Thinking
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... r-thinking

Q5: According to the first article, “clutter is simply delayed decisions”. According to the definition, is your brain clogged with unmade decisions? If so, what are they and why do they get in the way?

Q6: Unresolved emotions can be another form of clutter. What are the possible unwanted emotions and how do you handle them?

Q7: According to the second article, psychological experiments show that an organized physical environment promotes valued social norms like being generous or eating healthy, while a disorderly environment promotes a creative mindset. Do you agree? Which story best describes you?

Q8: “Emptiness” is a basic concept in Buddhism. In your opinion, what are the similarities and differences between emptiness and simplicity? Is adopting a minimalist lifestyle a way to Buddhist emptiness?

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 1/4(Sat)Declutter your life/Declutter your mind(Host:She

文章 Iris Wu »

The exact topics I need in the beginning of the year! :)
The questions were well laid out, from physical space to the frame of mind and our mindset.

I think my ideal living is to live minimally, be more with less, at least from physical space point of view, but I have to admit it’s challenging! Over time, our physical surroundings still get cluttered, not to mention our mind and soul!

Among all the tips to decluttering, I think I do need to start with setting priorities and restrain myself from the amount of media intake. The two should go together. It’s still all about discipline. Be disciplined in material and spiritual sides. Dump the “garbage”, physically and mentally, once in a while, the more frequently the better!

It’s not a one-size-fits-all goal or task. I think it really depends on how much people can handle the “clutter”. Some can work well at a messy desk, and some cannot stand for just a few sticky notes here and there. But the hardest part is still the selection or choice on what to keep and what to let go. No one can help you with that!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

I used to be proud of the ability to keep things neat and tidy; it was usually a pushover for me to account for a household item. That is however water under the bridge now. Over the past decade I have found it more and more frequent that forgotten belongings were either bought again or left in the lurch gathering dust. It is a testament to the fact that I have kept more stuff than what I can handle.

The sad outcome is a product of several forces: my energy and willpower left after work has been steadily dwindling with age and less and less time are spent on tidying apartment up; my lifestyle has changed fast, thanks to the advance of technology, changes of work and social cultures, family life, and myself.

I cut professional teeth as a salesman. Suits and ties used to be daily dress code. Now my colleagues’ socks would be knocked off if I put on anything other than polo shirts and jeans. In the era of the Google, data and information is just a few clicks away on the Internet, it becomes pointless to physically keep them. Anything that have gone or are going cloud - newspaper or magazine clippings, notebooks, account books, CDs and DVDs, photos, and all genres of books - could have been done away with. Families with a baby, child or teen knows how fast kids grow and how fast their stuff go out of use.

2007 was the year I joined YOYO. The club back then was a far cry from now; interactions among members after meetings took place mainly on the forum; there was no MSN, Facebook, and LINE, and it was critical to keep people’s e-mail addresses and phone numbers so as not to lose touch. Oftentimes we forgot how fast the world, including ourselves, has been changing and still grasp possessions and lifestyles that no longer add as much value to life as before. That only makes house and life high-maintenance.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(20): Christine, Andy, Lewis, Tim, David, Jason, Morris, Iris, Apple, Steve, Stephen, Jeff, Winston, Kooper, Gregary, Leon, Julian, Carrie, Ramesh, Sherry (host)
回覆文章