頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

5/16 (Sat.) 6 Human needs (Host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

Session One: 6 human needs

Tony Robbins mentions his ideas about why we do what we do, the 6 human needs, in the following TED talk, starting from 10:44.
https://www.ted.com/talks/tony_robbins_ ... ranscript

10:44
Let me tell you what they are. First one: certainty. These are not goals or desires, these are universal. Everyone needs certainty they can avoid pain and at least be comfortable. Now, how do you get it? Control everybody? Develop a skill? Give up? Smoke a cigarette? And if you got totally certain, ironically, even though we need that -- you're not certain about your health, or your children, or money. If you're not sure the ceiling will hold up, you won't listen to any speaker. While we go for certainty differently, if we get total certainty, we get what? What do you feel if you're certain? You know what will happen, when and how it will happen, what would you feel? Bored out of your minds. So, God, in Her infinite wisdom, gave us a second human need, which is uncertainty. We need variety. We need surprise. How many of you here love surprises? Say, "Aye."

11:27
Audience: Aye.

11:28
TR: Bullshit. You like the surprises you want. The ones you don't want, you call problems, but you need them. So, variety is important. Have you ever rented a video or a film that you've already seen? Who's done this? Get a fucking life.

11:41
(Laughter)

11:43
Why are you doing it? You're certain it's good because you read or saw it before, but you're hoping it's been long enough you've forgotten, and there's variety.

11:51
Third human need, critical: significance. We all need to feel important, special, unique. You can get it by making more money or being more spiritual. You can do it by getting yourself in a situation where you put more tattoos and earrings in places humans don't want to know. Whatever it takes. The fastest way to do this, if you have no background, no culture, no belief and resources or resourcefulness, is violence. If I put a gun to your head and I live in the 'hood, instantly I'm significant. Zero to 10. How high? 10. How certain am I that you're going to respond to me? 10. How much uncertainty? Who knows what's going to happen next? Kind of exciting. Like climbing up into a cave and doing that stuff all the way down there. Total variety and uncertainty. And it's significant, isn't it? So you want to risk your life for it. So that's why violence has always been around and will be around unless we have a consciousness change as a species. You can get significance a million ways, but to be significant, you've got to be unique and different.

12:42
Here's what we really need: connection and love, fourth need. We all want it; most settle for connection, love's too scary. Who here has been hurt in an intimate relationship? If you don't raise your hand, you've had other shit, too. And you're going to get hurt again. Aren't you glad you came to this positive visit? Here's what's true: we need it. We can do it through intimacy, friendship, prayer, through walking in nature. If nothing else works for you, don't get a cat, get a dog, because if you leave for two minutes, it's like you've been gone six months, when you come back 5 minutes later.

13:13
These first four needs, every human finds a way to meet. Even if you lie to yourself, you need to have split personalities. I call the first four needs the needs of the personality. The last two are the needs of the spirit. And this is where fulfillment comes. You won't get it from the first four. You'll figure a way, smoke, drink, do whatever, meet the first four. But number five, you must grow. We all know the answer. If you don't grow, you're what? If a relationship or business is not growing, if you're not growing, doesn't matter how much money or friends you have, how many love you, you feel like hell. And I believe the reason we grow is so we have something to give of value.

13:49
Because the sixth need is to contribute beyond ourselves. Because we all know, corny as that sounds, the secret to living is giving. We all know life is not about me, it's about we. This culture knows that, this room knows that. It's exciting. When you see Nicholas talking about his $100 computer, the most exciting thing is: here's a genius, but he's got a calling now. You can feel the difference in him, and it's beautiful. And that calling can touch other people.

Questions:
1. Yoyo happens to fit the 6 human needs perfectly (that's why we are here). Please explain how Yoyo helps us meet the 6 human needs.
2. Think about your own life. Share an example with people of what you do which meets some of the human needs.
3. Game. Pick one human need of your interest and tell people why you think it's more important than the previous one. The host will tell you more about how to do it in the gathering.

Session Two: Adventure and happiness

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/3 ... o-the-wild
“I'd like to repeat the advice that I gave you before, in that I think you really should make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been too hesitant to attempt. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

If you want to get more out of life, Ron, you must lose your inclination for monotonous security and adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will at first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life you will see its full meaning and its incredible beauty. And so, Ron, in short, get out of Salton City and hit the Road. I guarantee you will be very glad you did. But I fear that you will ignore my advice. You think that I am stubborn, but you are even more stubborn than me. You had a wonderful chance on your drive back to see one of the greatest sights on earth, the Grand Canyon, something every American should see at least once in his life. But for some reason incomprehensible to me you wanted nothing but to bolt for home as quickly as possible, right back to the same situation which you see day after day after day. I fear you will follow this same inclination in the future and thus fail to discover all the wonderful things that God has placed around us to discover.

Don't settle down and sit in one place. Move around, be nomadic, make each day a new horizon. You are still going to live a long time, Ron, and it would be a shame if you did not take the opportunity to revolutionize your life and move into an entirely new realm of experience.

You are wrong if you think Joy emanates only or principally from human relationships. God has placed it all around us. It is in everything and anything we might experience. We just have to have the courage to turn against our habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living.

My point is that you do not need me or anyone else around to bring this new kind of light in your life. It is simply waiting out there for you to grasp it, and all you have to do is reach for it. The only person you are fighting is yourself and your stubbornness to engage in new circumstances.”

Questions:
1. What is an adventure?
https://www.quora.com/What-is-an-adventure

2. Why do people go on adventures? What are the basic human needs that drive people to seek adventure?
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-go- ... -adventure
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-you-think- ... nt-in-life
3. What are the biggest, craziest, or most fun adventures you have had? What adventures would you do in the near future?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 5/16 (Sat.) 6 Human needs (Host: Rock)

文章 Luis Ko »

pity that i can't make it la~
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

No problem. Your spirit is always with us. :drink:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

let me make some remarks about the topics here. there are 6 human needs mentioned in first session. guess i only need 4, if not less. i might need significance to have connection and love, though it's better not the case. then i need certainty to make sure i have them. if i don't have all of the above, then i will definitely need some kind of "positive" uncertainty to meet them and get them. that's to say somethings for me to be hopeful about. as to spirit part, i got to say i am mature, and wise as well, enough to know i don't have to contribute beyond myself, and i don't even think having adventure can mean more happiness. guess i just can't view life through the same prism as the speaker/author, or others haaa~ 8)
最後由 Luis Ko 於 週五 5月 15, 2020 8:52 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Seeing that you are kind of forcing yourself to enrich our content here, you are contributing beyond yourself now. Besides, your English is also growing and doesn't suck anymore. :ssmile:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hi, I revised the second topic. Take a look if it please you.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Surprisingly, it isn’t difficult for me to relate to the six mentioned human needs. With little reflection, I would even conclude that the lion’s share, if not all, of my daily decisions are somewhat driven by one of the needs

Then the question is why we need to discuss them if they are already part and parcel of being a human? My personal interpretation is that it may help raise awareness and makes us more mindful of motives behind our everyday act, wise or otherwise. The mindfulness could keep us stay on the right track toward fulfilling the human needs.

I can’t help but compare the 6 needs to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, shown as below.
圖檔

To me, the six needs cover the higher four psychological levels of the hierarchy, but go beyond that. For instance, Maslow’s pyramid has a hard time explaining the needs of uncertainty, variety, and altruism.

Both theories try to rank different needs or different groups of need, which is hard to buy into. What occurs day to day to me is that various needs surface one after another, randomly and sometimes unexpectedly. I would rather say I pursue all the needs at the same time than in sequence.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Kooper 寫:
週五 5月 15, 2020 8:40 pm

Then the question is why we need to discuss them if they are already part and parcel of being a human? My personal interpretation is that it may help raise awareness and makes us more mindful of motives behind our everyday act, wise or otherwise. The mindfulness could keep us stay on the right track toward fulfilling the human needs.
You just discovered another human need-- awareness and mindfulness. Now we have 7 things to talk about lo.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

This speaker is a very famous motivational speaker in America, but I dont feel very motivated by this speech.

1. Certainty and Uncertainty. I don't think these two are human "needs". To me, these two are just the way life is.

3. Significance. Yes, agree, everyone wants to feel significant.

4. Connection and Love. Sure. Everybody needs love and friends.

5. Growing. I think most people don't grow, including myself, because people don't change. So, most people don't have this need.

6. Contribute beyond yourself. Yes, if I have extra money and time, I would love to do that. Sometimes I want to do some volunteering work, but I am always lazy to do it.

I think the 馬斯洛需求理論 makes more sense to me when it comes to human needs. Sorry, maybe my "negativity instinct" is kicking in.

By the way, in the speech, when one of the audiences said"supreme court", the speaker and all of audiences laughed out loud. That is really funny!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Yes, Tony Robinson calls himself a motivational coach, not a scholar. His belief or understanding may not apply to all. I guess I would also say “I don't need any motivation.” to him if I got to meet him.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Michael-liu 寫:
週五 5月 15, 2020 11:00 pm
1. Certainty and Uncertainty. I don't think these two are human "needs". To me, these two are just the way life is.
I can offer an example that may serve as a testament to the need of uncertainty, or the need of variety in the speaker's words. Let's say fried chicken rice is my favorite, but if I am forced to eat it three meals a day and 7 days a week, I'll probably feel like in hell after a month's of same diet and scramble to try any other food, even if it looks exotic or suspicious. :wink:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Luis Ko 寫:
週三 5月 13, 2020 3:13 pm
let me make some remarks about the topics here. there are 6 human needs mentioned in first session. guess i only need 4, if not less....
Luis is trying to sound philosophical... :mrgreen:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:
週五 5月 15, 2020 10:43 pm
Kooper 寫:
週五 5月 15, 2020 8:40 pm

You just discovered another human need-- awareness and mindfulness. Now we have 7 things to talk about lo.
I would say they are measures to meet any need but not the needs themselves. Does it make sense?
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper 寫:
週六 5月 16, 2020 10:06 am
Michael-liu 寫:
I can offer an example that may serve as a testament to the need of uncertainty, or the need of variety in the speaker's words. Let's say fried chicken rice is my favorite, but if I am forced to eat it three meals a day and 7 days a week, I'll probably feel like in hell after a month's of same diet and scramble to try any other food, even if it looks exotic or suspicious. :wink:
I totally agree human needs variety, because we get tired of anything we do or eat or use too many times.

I just thought certainty and uncertainty are irrlevant to the need for variety. Also, to have these two needs at the same time is contradictory.

Maybe I am just being picky to the speaker? Haha...
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Michael-liu 寫:
By the way, in the speech, when one of the audiences said"supreme court", the speaker and all of audiences laughed out loud. That is really funny!
Did you see who was this audience? It's Al Gore!
In 2000, Al Gore lost the presidential election to George W. Bush:
  • "A month-long series of legal battles led to the highly controversial 5–4 Supreme Court decision Bush v. Gore, which ended the recount."
Right, it is really funny!
回覆文章