7/21 (Tue.) The Free Trade Agreement(FTA) between US and Taiwan(Host: Miller)

回覆文章
miller
YOYO member
文章: 99
註冊時間: 週三 5月 09, 2018 6:17 pm

7/21 (Tue.) The Free Trade Agreement(FTA) between US and Taiwan(Host: Miller)

文章 miller »

This is Miller, your host for the meeting on 7/21.
It's my honor to host again.
This time we are going to discuss about the FTA of US-Taiwan.
Taiwan is the 10th largest trading partner of the United States.
We deal with the FTA of US-Taiwan for ten years directly and indirectly.
With lots of effort to achieve this FTA, it is a good time more than ever after our performace on preventive measures of COVID-19.
Taiwan is a key model in Asia of democracy, freendom, and respect for human rights and the rule of law.
Taiwan is also a key link in the high-tech global supply chain and one of the world's leaders in semiconductor industry.
China is increasing pressure on governments to disregard Taiwan in international organizations, and is trying to make Taiwan’s economy more dependent on Beijing.
As the Trump Administration seeks to prioritize the Indo–Pacific region, it must engage with Taiwan.
One way to do so is to begin negotiations for an FTA.
Now seems the perfect time to get started for US and Taiwan.
In session 1, we discuss whether Taiwan really needs the FTA or not.
Then session 2, we want to know what will be changed after the FTA.

There are some materials as following to assist this topic.
Introduce to the Free Trade Agreements.
https://youtu.be/dF7NaMtA09Q

A U.S.–Taiwan Free Trade Agreement in 2020
https://www.heritage.org/trade/report/u ... ement-2020

The time is ripe for a U.S.-Taiwan free trade agreement
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3734133

Session 1:
1.Do you agree to make an FTA with United States? Why and Why not?
2.The leading issue of contention between US and Taiwan trade officials is the restriction of import US beef and pork products.
Why does this become the leading issue? Do you have any ideas to suggest our government?
3.Do you think it's a right way for Taiwan to make more FTAs with other countries in the long run? What are the challenges of Taiwan?
4.If the economy is not the only way to get progress for Taiwan, what else can we do?

Session 2:
5.After we make an FTA with US, what will be changed in our life?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:00 ~ 7:40pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:40 ~ 7:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:0pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:00 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (30 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization and conclusion (15 mins)

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Meeting Date: As shown in the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘
Important Notes:
1. Participants are recommended to print out the questions for the discussion. Also, the supporting articles, if preferred not to access them via their own mobile phone.
2. Please read the articles and discussion questions provided by the host and write down your thoughts in English in advance.

For Newcomers:
1. Please prepare a two-to-three minute introduction of yourself in English. You may also be asked to give brief feedback at the conclusion of the meeting.
2. The entire meeting is conducted in English. All participants should at least have moderate English conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
3. Newcomers are welcome to attend the meeting and join the discussion up to three times. Formal membership with a lifetime membership fee NT$1000 is required afterward.
Janice Wang
YOYO member
文章: 79
註冊時間: 週六 3月 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: 7/21 (Tue.) The Free Trade Agreement(FTA) between US and Taiwan(Host: Miller)

文章 Janice Wang »

First, I’d like to tip my hat to Miller for his courage taking on such a tough topic. It’s a topic that is politics-related in itself, which requires delicate handling. Here are my two cents,

1) Signing the FTA won’t be a referendum for all the Taiwanese to decide. I know that I shouldn’t have sold ourselves short. However, the reality told us that the ball is not in our court when it comes to foreign affairs with the US. The ball is never in our court, ever. Despite a pact represents a chance of the principles of reciprocity, it’s still mostly up to the US about when, how, what, and where to sign the pact if they want to sign it with us.

2) Since other countries have signed the free-trade pact with the US already. I’m positive that Taiwan is part of the lineup to sign the FTA with the US next, but I don’t expect that we will get any better deal than other countries on the agenda of importing beef and pork. Either we accept it as leverage to get other good deals in return or replace the import of US beef and pork with other agenda instead to keep the FTA pact going. Our government needs to stipulate transparent regulations for the sake of safety about US beef and pork if we can’t turn the tables. Let all Taiwanese consumers decide their purchase of reference.

3)/4) The economy is our lifeline. Taiwan is a small country, not abounding with natural resources, nor having a huge domestic market with a sizeable population. It gives us little choices but highly depends on the export. The fairer free-trade pacts we make with other countries, the greater good the economy Taiwan may create.

As we all know, “hard power” is never our strong suit. The most we can make is to build “soft power” by becoming a major economic player in the world. Given the fact that a zero-sum war is ongoing over the global hegemony between the US and China, to kowtow to one may risk antagonizing the other. For sure, no one wants to end up in traditional warfare anywhere. Perhaps to remain silent and cautious till November after the US presidential election is the best strategy for the moment!
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 7/21 (Tue.) The Free Trade Agreement(FTA) between US and Taiwan(Host: Miller)

文章 Luis Ko »

FTA is kind of a double edged sword. there always are trade-offs involved. for reaching the bilateral or multilateral agreement you need to have a very professional team, you just can't rely on an incompetent government, to deal with it, so that you can make the maximum benefit out of it for a country. if you are doing it well, it will be no doubt good to a country's economy.

then again, instead of being an economic issue, it's always a political issue. internationally you need to be in a position where you have the upper hand to handle it, so that things would go your way. otherwise, what you yield up will be way more than you gain. it really hurts the country. even if there's no international political issue, there are domestic ones. you would have pressures from different groups, what to yield or not, especially the opposite party will by any means drag your feet. therefore, what a FTA can really help is limited when it comes to economy. above all, that's exactly what happens on the FTA between Taiwan and the United States, i would say. 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
miller
YOYO member
文章: 99
註冊時間: 週三 5月 09, 2018 6:17 pm

文章 miller »

Thank Janice and Luis for your sharing on this topic.
As Janice mentioned, it's really a tough topic, that's why I choose this topic.
Taiwan is a small island with small domestic market, we depend on export business more than other countries, like Japan and Korea.
From the FTA with US, it is very difficult to gain more than we lose.
Taiwan should lose something then US would agree to sign the FTA, that's sensible.
After the leading FTA, there would be more other countries to sign the FTA with Taiwan.
However we gain back from the other FTA in the long run.
To overcome the economic restrictions for a small country, FTA may be one feasible way.
Taiwan has several FTAs with Panama, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras and Salvador.
But the FTA with big countries is most likely to open the worldwide market for Taiwan.
That's really a challenge for our government, especially between US and China in this moment.
The government needs wisdom to deal with the suffering of the domestic industries.
Just come to join us this evening, we need your opinions.
回覆文章