8/18 (Tue.) How Will You Measure Your Life? (Host:Anne)

回覆文章
Anne Lin
YOYO member
文章: 36
註冊時間: 週日 10月 02, 2005 2:51 am

8/18 (Tue.) How Will You Measure Your Life? (Host:Anne)

文章 Anne Lin »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfTPJld4RNo
https://hbr.org/2010/07/how-will-you-measure-your-life

Clayton M. Christensen is the world’s leading authority on innovation, most notably due to his all-time classic “The Innovator’s Dilemma,” just about the only business book Steve Jobs ever thought was valuable to him.

Clayton teaches a class at Harvard Business School where students assesses businesses using certain “lenses” or what Clayton calls, theories. They use these theories to forecast the future success of business. On the last day of class Clayton uses the same methods to look at students instead of businesses. They don’t focus on what a student hopes will happen. Rather, they allow a predictive theory tell what the future holds for each individual student. He writes the following three questions to teach the students how to think
  • How can I be sure I will be successful and happy in my career?
  • How can I be sure my relationships (with my spouse, my children, my extended family, and my close friends) become a resources of enduring happiness?
  • How can I be sure I live a life of integrity — and stay out of jail?
Clayton extends this classroom exercise into a book “How Will You Measure Your Life” in order to help us all understand how we can examine and improve our lives. “How Will You Measure Your Life” is more geared towards helping you balance professional life with, well, the rest of it. It points out that counterintuitively, taking time away from work for family, relationships, etc. can have a huge positive impact on your career and happiness – in the long run.

Questions:
Session I:
1. What we think matters most in our jobs often does not align with what will really makes us happy. Do you agree it?
2. Who asserts that the powerful motivator in our jobs isn’t money; it’s the opportunity to learn, grow in responsibilities, contribute to others, and be recognized for the achievements. Does this apply to yourself?
3. What makes you happy in your career?

Session II:
1. Build intuition and empathy by thinking of your family life as a job. Here’s the single-best question you can ask to improve any relationship: “What job does X need me to do the most?” (X is the person in question. Could be your best friend, your dad, your family as a whole, or your partner.)

2. Share your experience on what it means to understand the job you’re “hired” to do (as a spouse, a friend or a parent) and why sacrificing for your loved ones is actually a vital part of relationship-building and satisfaction.

3. To lead a life of integrity means always living by the general principles you create. It’s easy to find the exception to your general rule and do something differently “just this once”. It’s easier to hold to your principles 100 percent of the time than it is to hold to them 98 percent of the time. Decide what you stand for, and then stand for all the time.
(1) Are there any principles that you create and insist in your life? Have you ever given in to “ just this once” to cross the line in particularly situation? If you given in to “just this once”, will you regret?
(2) For most people, integrity is the default setting. How can you avoid compromising your integrity?

*************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:00 ~ 7:40pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:40 ~ 7:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:0pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:00 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (30 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization and conclusion (15 mins)

**************************************************************************************************************************************
Meeting Date: As shown in the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘
Important Notes:
1. Participants are recommended to print out the questions for the discussion. Also, the supporting articles, if preferred not to access them via their own mobile phone.
2. Please read the articles and discussion questions provided by the host and write down your thoughts in English in advance
Janice Wang
YOYO member
文章: 79
註冊時間: 週六 3月 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: 8/18 (Tue.) How Will You Measure Your Life? (Host:Anne)

文章 Janice Wang »

“How will you measure your life?” - the title of the topic speaks a thousand words - another opportunity to reflect on our lives. The older I get, the more I realize how important it is to live my life at the mercy of no one’s measurement but mine, and do the things I love as much as I could! That is a lot harder than it sounds. Plus, it is unlike anything it had taught me as a child. However, I also make it a point not to be strict about it and leave myself some room to change as needed.

Session 1 is a blast from the past. With merely an eight-year-short-lived working career, for sure, I cannot leave a ray of sunshine on those three food-for-thoughts questions. But it got me wondering that if I had not quit my job so early, what different life would I have experienced, and how much could I have tapped into my career for personal achievements, contributions, and growth?

To stick with certain personal intrinsic principles while abiding by the laws, it keeps us on track and helps us navigate the woes and wonders of modern life, and to stay cool for years to come. I frequently have the moment of throwing up my hands at the temptation of “just this once”. In particular, to the delight of the craving of unhealthy food and a late night of binge-watching shows and sports games. I often give myself the green light to indulge in just-this-once impulses, since my indulgence poses no harm to others. Besides, when that just-this-once experience reaches to the fullest stretch, I would retrace my steps, and soon afterward could behave well for quite a while. In my entire life, stay sane is way more paramount than becoming a saint!
最後由 Janice Wang 於 週一 8月 17, 2020 6:56 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Janice Wang 寫:
週一 8月 17, 2020 12:43 pm
... I frequently have the moment of throwing up my hands at the temptation of “just this once”. In particular, to the delight of the craving of unhealthy food and a late night of binge-watching shows and sports games....
Hi, Janice, you are being strict to yourself. These things are no problem as long as your body says OK. And judging from your energy level in Yoyo, it seems more than OK. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Anne Lin 寫:
週日 8月 16, 2020 11:18 am
  • How can I be sure my relationships (with my spouse...) become a resources of enduring happiness?
This question makes me think a lot. :ccry:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Is this another topic of "self-improvement"?

Hahaha, no offense. ^.^
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Michael-liu 寫:
週一 8月 17, 2020 3:14 pm
Is this another topic of "self-improvement"?
Hahaha, no offense. ^.^
Yes. It’s another self-reflection question for introspection!
It’s in YoYo’s DNA. We can never get away from self-improvement thinking! :)

These questions and key points raised in the article/speech are very suitable for strong career-oriented higher-ups in business or public sectors because of their highly competitive environment, for example, living a life of integrity is very critical for people holding certain posts to avoid ethics violations. I would say many of our “just this once” examples are really inconsequential, and it is fine not to stick to those rules 100% of the time, unless those are principles of ethics or compliance.

How will you measure your life? My answer would be “how much you contributed to the society”. For me, contribution to the need will be valued, recognized and paid. As for the fairness of the rewards, we cannot change our innate nature of comparison, but we can certainly decide which “yardstick” to measure our rewards and avoid the trap of comparison.

The concept of "yardstick for measurement is a choice" can be applied to relationships and family as well. Both are important, but "lacking them doesn’t make you any less valuable as a person”. Maybe we can be more relaxed when answering the question, "How can I be sure my relationships (with my spouse, my children, my extended family, and my close friends...) become a resource of enduring happiness?"
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

I was curious as to what he had to say about this idea of life's pursuits (and no time before the meeting to read this book), so I checked out his TED Talk. :mrgreen:

(He was a leader in his faith and church, and understandably invoked God readily. As an atheist I simply approach his talk as insight from his life philosophy.)

How Will You Measure Your Life? Clay Christensen at TEDxBoston
回覆文章