9/15 (tue) Gift economy (Host: Tashi)

回覆文章
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

9/15 (tue) Gift economy (Host: Tashi)

文章 tashi »

While I was searching something about barter economy to learn more about how human start to exchange goods, I didn't get much in the first place but another term showed up in the searches more often that I never knew before which is called "gift economy". Then it makes me confused that if by definition you don’t expect return and giving gifts is not a trade, how can this kind of behavior be called one kind of economy?

Gift ecomony explained in Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_economy

The definition of Economy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy

Well that seems few conditions could happen in a gift economy:

1. Like a derivative from market economics because you give out things you do not need to some people who need it and vice versa. (but you do not expect to happen at the same time)
2. As a social norm that you send gifts as a symbol to build some sort of connections mentioned here 3. Totally against the monetary system but close to natural law that animals/living things exchange everything to be part of the natural cycle like is it mentioned here I feel like it is all about the relationship between us and people or the environment around us……

hmm..let me try coming out some tips and discuss together:

Session I to warm up.

1. What do you think is the most important factor when giving gifts to others?
2. Do you feel stressful when receiving gifts? Like the red envelopes received on your wedding anniversary?
3. Do you think sharing our own resources for free is part of human nature? Any prerequisite for that?

Session II.

1. Do you think couchsurfing is sort of gift economy practice? And how about open source software like the Linux OS?
2. Do you think joining YOYO English club involves the spirit or practice of the gift economy?
3. Do you think you are already a player in the gift economy? How do you make it and what is your intention/plan?
4. Do you think that it is good to let our next generation learn and practice this? Any pros and cons to concern?
5. To your family, your team/company....... are more like a taker or giver? How do you define your relationship with your layered of environments in this angle? Are that the way you love to play?

=======================================================================================
Agenda:
18:45 ~ 19:00 pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
19:00 ~ 19:40 pm Session 1 as a warming up
19:40 ~ 20:30 Session II Re-group and discussion
20:30 ~ 20:50 Presentation & conclusion

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 18:45 pm – 20:50pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, if consider becoming a YoYo English Club member, we charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 9/15 (tue) Gift economy (Host: Tashi)

文章 Michael-liu »

I would like to share my personal stupid experience of giving a gift.

In my first job, there was a woman (single) sitting near me, who spoke English well and was like a mentor to me. I learned quite a few about my work from her.

There was once I took some days off and had a trip to Thaland. I bought her a gift (not edible and not romantic) just want to show my gratitude to her. I have to be clear to you guys that she was older than me and I absolutely had no romantic feelings to her.

When I gave her the gift, she refused to take it and insisted I take the gift back, and she said to me "You should give the gift to your girl friend" ( at that time, I didn't have a girl friend, of course)

I was embarrassed and didnt know what to say and what to do, so the gift was not sent out.

I was young at the time, so I was naive, stupid, and was like thoese nerds in Big Bang Theory, who are clueless about social protocols.

Later on, I realized that the right social protocol when you go back to your work from overseas vacation is just to buy some candy or chocolate and share it with everybody at your office.
tashi

文章 tashi »

Here is also a link which include a map where places/free stores implementing gift economy in Taiwan
shorturl.at/dtwy0
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

tashi 寫:
週一 9月 14, 2020 11:44 pm
Here is also a link which include a map where places/free stores implementing gift economy in Taiwan
shorturl.at/dtwy0
Actually, I am doing this "gift economy" thing.

1. I joined the facebook group mentioned in this article--剩食終結者. It is very true that if you give away expired food, many people still rush to request for it. I agree with the notion that expired food is not necessarily inedible. We should judge by its smell, not by its expire date.

2. A funeral service company in 板橋 put a "愛心冰箱" in front of their office for people to give away food and to get food for free. I used to take some food and fruits from this refrigerator.( although I understood some fruits might be used in a funeral)

3. This "gift economy" thing also inflicts some collateral damage on me. One of my family members is sort of addicted to getting free stuff from facebook groups. She gets all kinds of things, including toys, children books, dolls, clothes, shoes, furitures, lady bags, kitchenware,.....etc., you name it! Thus, my house is so packed with these free stuff that I can barely walk in my living room. It really drives me crazy.
Sigh.............................
最後由 Michael-liu 於 週日 9月 20, 2020 3:23 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
tashi

文章 tashi »

Thanks Michael! Nice sharing and I didn’t know that there is a place in Banchao.
回覆文章