1/9(Sat.)Sounds like Titanic (Host: Gloria)

回覆文章
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

1/9(Sat.)Sounds like Titanic (Host: Gloria)

文章 Gloria Lo »

Material:
A Fake Orchestra Performance In 'Sounds Like Titanic'
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/09/69295582 ... ke-titanic

Questions for Disscussion

Session 1
1. Morality aside, what are the advantages and disadvantages in fake-playing when it comes to fake-players, real instrument-players, audiences, and all the others involved?

2.If you were this fake-player, could you handle that, especially after doing it for years? Is there any difference for you to mime to your own or other person’s recordings?

3.As audience, which one do you prefer - real but imperfect performance or perfect fake-playing? Why?

Session 2
4.China bans lip-synching and fake instrument-playing. However, performers ranging from world-class symphony orchestras to individual singers do them in shows. What’s your opinion on it?

5.In daily work and life, we somewhat have to face struggles between right and wrong, real and fake, how do you deal with them? What’s your advice?

6.Did panic attacks occur to you or people around you? Please share your experiences. How do you maintain your mental health?

More References

1.美國女郎跟隨假樂隊巡演撈金的神奇故事
https://www.bbc.com/zhongwen/trad/world-52923050

2.Panic attacks and panic disorder
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20376021

Symptoms
Sense of impending doom or danger
Fear of loss of control or death
Rapid, pounding heart rate
Sweating
Trembling or shaking
Shortness of breath or tightness in your throat
Chills
Hot flashes
Nausea
Abdominal cramping
Chest pain
Headache
Dizziness, lightheadedness or faintness
Numbness or tingling sensation
Feeling of unreality or detachment

Causes
Genetics
Major stress
Temperament that is more sensitive to stress or prone to negative emotions
Certain changes in the way parts of your brain function

Risk factors
Family history of panic attacks or panic disorder
Major life stress, such as the death or serious illness of a loved one
A traumatic event, such as sexual assault or a serious accident
Major changes in your life, such as a divorce or the addition of a baby
Smoking or excessive caffeine intake
History of childhood physical or sexual abuse

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
最後由 Gloria Lo 於 週六 1月 09, 2021 12:01 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 1/9(Sat.)Sounds like Titanic (Host: Gloria)

文章 Luis Ko »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vultur ... ances.html

I found this above article very interesting about "sounds like Titanic". Right, I'm a sceptic. 8)

By the way, when everytime I see the girl I like shows up together with someone they like, or may like, unexpectedly, that's the moment panic attacks would occur to me. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

People nowadays don't really care much about authenticity. Phone cameras and photo editor apps that take the whole world by storm are the ones that stand out from the rest in its ability to soften human skin and improve skin tones as well as to enhance color saturation, making RGB colors more red, green and blue. People are happy with the outcomes as long as the photographed look younger, better-looking and the scenes look more breathtaking in photos.

The value of a concert does not just come from its music. It’s created by a combination of music, light, stage design, concert companions, and interaction with players. Most importantly it’s a collective experience occurring in the right place at the right time, which is one of a kind and can never be duplicated. If fake playing can bring an overall better experience, I can make do with it.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Luis Ko 寫:
週五 1月 08, 2021 9:44 pm

I found this above article very interesting about "sounds like Titanic". Right, I'm a sceptic. 8)

By the way, when everytime I see the girl I like shows up together with someone they like, or may like, unexpectedly, that's the moment panic attacks would occur to me. :lol:
After I carefully read this article provided by Luis, (.....it really took me some time), I got to realize more about the Iraq War, the Titanic theme and the chaos between the true and the fake which the author mentioned. The key word for me is WMD intelligence............
最後由 Gloria Lo 於 週六 1月 09, 2021 12:26 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Kooper 寫:
週六 1月 09, 2021 9:27 am
People nowadays don't really care much about authenticity. Phone cameras and photo editor apps that take the whole world by storm are the ones that stand out from the rest in its ability to soften human skin and improve skin tones as well as to enhance color saturation, making RGB colors more red, green and blue. People are happy with the outcomes as long as the photographed look younger, better-looking and the scenes look more breathtaking in photos.

The value of a concert does not just come from its music. It’s created by a combination of music, light, stage design, concert companions, and interaction with players. Most importantly it’s a collective experience occurring in the right place at the right time, which is one of a kind and can never be duplicated. If fake playing can bring an overall better experience, I can make do with it.

I agree that listening to concerts is a collective experience. The custume, the light, the interactions with players..... are all included.
But, what about the expectations of those who pay for the authentic performances?

:mrgreen: :drink: :sun:
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

For a pop star live concert, it is understandable to lip-sync, because the singer may need to dance or move around,and then they may not catch breath to sing well.

But for an orchestra live concert, if you find out later the performance is fake, it would be unbelievable you feel totally fine with it.

Even though the concert is free of charge, you still spend time for transportation or getting in a line.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Gloria Lo 寫:
週六 1月 09, 2021 11:35 am
Luis Ko 寫:
週五 1月 08, 2021 9:44 pm

After I carefully read this article provided by Luis, (.....it really took me some time), I got to realize more about the Iraq War, the Titanic theme and the chaos between the true and the fake which the author mentioned. The key word for me is WMD intelligence............
when it comes to the key words, my selection is publishing scandals haaa~ :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Gloria,

About the WMD intelligence, there is a movie about it. "Fair Game"(不公平的遊戲)

本片改編自《公平遊戲》的回憶錄,是為真人真事。並且重現一段美國政府的洩密醜聞。

故事從擔任過駐外大使的喬瑟夫威爾森(西恩潘飾)身上展開,在一次前往尼日的調查當中,他竟查不出任何伊拉克進行大規模毀滅武器買賣的證據,甚至認為美國政府不但不採信情報,還不顧他的報告發動戰爭。
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Thank you, Michael. :) :) :)
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member

文章 Gloria Lo »

Attendees(21):
Michelle, Howard, Carmelo, Gloria(Host), Julian, Amy, Jennia, Stephen, Jacy, Ramesh, Laura, Blithe, Winston, Daivd, Christine, Jason, Steve, Kooper, Leon, Catherine, Jerry

Thank you for coming. :ssmile: :lol: :drink:
回覆文章