1/19 (Tue.) Cancel Culture(Host: Miller)

回覆文章
miller
YOYO member
文章: 97
註冊時間: 週三 5月 09, 2018 6:17 pm

1/19 (Tue.) Cancel Culture(Host: Miller)

文章 miller »

This is Miller, your host for the meeting on 1/19.
I'm very glad to carry out my first hosting in the new year 2021.
In this meeting, we want to discuss a trending topic "cancel culture".

On the internet, you can make something go viral and reach millions around the world in short time.
We enjoy the convenience of internet, but meanwhile we suffer to some degree as well.
For example, if you spoke something offensive or controversial on the social media, you could never imagine how fast it spread.
Even worse, in some situation you might even get public shaming and be cancelled.
The consequences of "cancel culture" can lead to loss of reputation and fortune that could be hard to recover.
In many cases, the cancel culture allows angry mob to decide a person's fate and eventually stifles free speech.
The following are a couple of cases of the cancel culture.
1.The CEO of PX Mart "徐重仁" was cancelled for his saying "The young generation spent too much money for their daily life." in 2017.
He took the responsibility for his unintentional saying and stepped down.
2.J.K. Rowling, the Harry Potter creator, made Twitter posts that expressed unfair beliefs about transgender women last year.
Her fans left with angry and disappointed feeling.

The cancel culture is a hot topic among internet users.
We are not pleased to see the people with power cause harm to underprivileged people with their words or actions.
So on one hand, the cancel culture makes powerful people to speak & act more carefully about what they stand for on social media,
and from this perspective the cancel culture could be helpful for the society; on the other hand, cancel culture does jeopardize the freedom of speech.
The magazine Harper's Bazaar published a letter against cancel culture in July 2020.
The letter was signed by many writers, journalists, and professors.
It spoke out against people who silenced others' opinions and called for the protection of free speech.
The debate about free speech had been risen again.
We should protect free speech or protect the underprivileged people.
Let's have a discussion in this meeting!

What is Cancel Culture?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bisnMOujqFs

What is the cost of "Cancel Culture"?
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54374824

"A Letter on Justice and Open Debate" published by Harper's Bazaar.
https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-justice ... en-debate/

Session 1:
1.Have you ever become a victim of cancel culture or have you heard any story? What happened?
2. In the workplace if someone said something offensive to you. What would you do?
Would you fight back directly or turn a deaf ear?
3. It's not uncommon to see people got fired because of social media posts, even those posts are not business related. Is this moral? If you were the employer, what would you do?
4. Which side do you choose? To protect free speech or to protect underprivileged users? Why?

Session 2:
1. Although the Constitution protects the freedom of speech, we are asked not to harm others.
On internet, users have absolute freedom to speak out whatever they want to express but without effective approach to restrict any possible "over behavior". Do you have any suggestions?
2. Standing in the shoes of different groups(powerful vs underprivileged), is the cancel culture fair for either side?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:00 ~ 7:40pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:40 ~ 7:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:0pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:00 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (30 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization and conclusion (15 mins)

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Meeting Date: As shown in the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘
Important Notes:
1. Participants are recommended to print out the questions for the discussion. Also, the supporting articles, if preferred not to access them via their own mobile phone.
2. Please read the articles and discussion questions provided by the host and write down your thoughts in English in advance.

For Newcomers:
1. Please prepare a two-to-three minute introduction of yourself in English. You may also be asked to give brief feedback at the conclusion of the meeting.
2. The entire meeting is conducted in English. All participants should at least have moderate English conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
3. Newcomers are welcome to attend the meeting and join the discussion up to three times. Formal membership with a lifetime membership fee NT$1000 is required afterward.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 1/19 (Tue.) Cancel Culture(Host: Miller)

文章 Luis Ko »

wow~ never heard of this term "Cancel Culture" before! is it the first of its kind ever discussed in yoyo? anyway, one thing is for sure, i would really like to discuss it haa~ :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
jerryozoz
YOYO member
文章: 61
註冊時間: 週二 8月 06, 2019 2:18 pm

文章 jerryozoz »

Luis, please come to support Miller's meeting :D
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

jerryozoz 寫:
週日 1月 17, 2021 12:35 pm
Luis, please come to support Miller's meeting :D
definitely! :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Good topic!

The "cancel culture" is a by-product of the Internet, because the Internet makes "to reject a person or a business" so convenient and so easy.

This term is said to start to appear in July last year, but this phenomenon has already existed for a long time, not only in western countries but in Taiwan as well. To name a few,

1. 張惠妹唱國歌事件
2. 羅志祥事件
3. 范瑋琪事件
4. 鴨肉飯事件.....etc.

Everybody, including celebrities and ordinary people, is entitled to their own opinion, so nobody is wrong in this "cancel culture" and there is nothing we can do about it.

One thing we can do is that in this Internet era, we must be very careful with what we say on social media and how we act in daily life. Now and then when I want to smack my naughty daughter in public, I have fear of being videotaped by someone, who might post the video online.

Another example. In the incident of 范瑋琪 criticizing our Prime Minister as "狗官", She used an overly emotional word and lacked of judgement.

As for the controversy in JK Rowling case, is it justifiable that the woman( Rowling supported) who said offensive things about transgender group was fired by her company? I am not sure, although the court ruled against her. This might be another good topic for discussion.

To conclude, is the "justice of netizens" real justice? That's a million dollar question.
最後由 Michael-liu 於 週一 1月 18, 2021 7:57 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
tashi
文章: 148
註冊時間: 週二 11月 03, 2015 11:07 pm

文章 tashi »

Words from 徐重仁 after being criticized by the public. Still sounds disgusting to me.
https://news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/paper/1094057
miller
YOYO member
文章: 97
註冊時間: 週三 5月 09, 2018 6:17 pm

文章 miller »

Yes, there is no body wrong at the beginning.
What they advocated of both sides are all right.
But some people just abused the freedom of speech then hurt someone.
How to control the magnitude of freedom is definitely a big issue!
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

tashi 寫:
週一 1月 18, 2021 5:20 pm
Words from 徐重仁 after being criticized by the public. Still sounds disgusting to me.
https://news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/paper/1094057
Wow! Tashi, "disgusting" is a strong word.

I am not familiar with this 徐重仁 case, but I think what he said is just what most parents would say to their children.

After reading the article you provided, what that netizen said is disgusting to me.( "誰敢去全聯消費我就殺誰")

p.s. 純粹討論, 沒有不敬的意思 :D
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Initially, the term, “cancel culture” sounded odd to me. We normally cancel an “event”, not a person, but after reading the contents, I guess the terminology does have its new applications in the internet era.

The concept of cancel culture is not so new. It is similar to “boycott”, but for “powerful” persons or public figures, if they enjoy and benefit from public attention and fame, and there is no effective mechanism of checks and balances to confine their influence, sometimes it could be very hurtful. The transphobia comments by J.K. Rowling is one of the bias examples causing pain to certain groups of people. For this kind of cases, the protest from the marginalized groups is understandable.

I do appreciate the positive side of cancel culture: “I may have no power, but the power I have is to ‘ignore’ you!”

As many other tools, the cancel culture is a double-edged sword, which is easily abused. How we can ensure the tool used as social justice and avoid it being framed as “mob rule” is a daunting challenge!
回覆文章