3/16 (Tue.) Threat of Chinese Military Attack; Taiwanese Culture (Host: Dan)

回覆文章
Dan
文章: 40
註冊時間: 週四 9月 22, 2016 8:08 pm

3/16 (Tue.) Threat of Chinese Military Attack; Taiwanese Culture (Host: Dan)

文章 Dan »

Are You Worried that China Will Launch a Military Attack Against Taiwan?

The repeated incursions by Chinese war planes into Taiwan’s air defense identification zone in recent months combined with its crushing of dissent in Hong Kong--among other actions--has some global experts warning that a military attack by China across the Taiwan Strait is inevitable.

This is the great existential question of our times for Taiwanese. Let’s discuss:

Questions:
1. Do you think an attack is inevitable and would any subsequent Chinese invasion be successful? Or can the parties defuse the situation or, failing that, could Taiwan repel an invasion?

2. What policies and actions do you think the Taiwanese government should undertake given the escalating tensions across the Taiwan Strait? Should it be more assertive, more conciliatory, or should it continue on its present course?

3. Do you think that the U.S. would come to Taiwan’s aid if China attacked Taiwan militarily?

4. Do you think that most Taiwanese would have the will to fight in the event of a large-scale Chinese military invasion or would most quickly seek terms of surrender or flee the island if they could?

Articles and videos:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... iral-warns
According to the assessment in this animated video an invasion would fail. (Sorry, no Chinese subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs1ahNtj498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkuNWDG3yNM
https://www.rollcall.com/2021/02/23/chi ... anel-told/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... with-china

Does Taiwan Have a Distinct Culture?

While most people on the island identify as Taiwanese rather than Chinese or both Chinese and Taiwanese, many people believe the culture here is still predominantly Chinese. And they seem hard-pressed to give many examples of distinctly Taiwanese cultural customs, practices or experiences when I’ve asked (except to point to the drinking of pearl milk or bubble milk tea as a major Taiwanese cultural contribution.) (Surely there are more.) Let’s discuss:

Questions:
1. Do you think Taiwan has a culture all its own or is it still predominantly Chinese?

2. Can you point to examples of unique Taiwanese cultural customs, practices and major themes and genres of Taiwanese art and literature?

3. Are Taiwanese still taught that they are “culturally” Chinese by parents, teachers and other authority figures or has this changed in recent years?

4. Are Taiwanese open to multiculturalism and to adopting foreign cultural practices and customs in addition to those of Taiwanese or Chinese culture (and to a lesser extent Japanese and aboriginal culture)?

Articles:
https://theculturetrip.com/asia/taiwan/ ... and-china/
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-cul ... and-Taiwan

Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:00 ~ 7:40pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:40 ~ 7:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
7:55 ~ 8:0pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:00 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (30 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization and conclusion (15 mins)
最後由 Dan 於 週六 3月 13, 2021 2:57 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 3/16 (Tue.) Threat of Chinese Military Attack; Taiwanese Culture (Host: Dan)

文章 Rock »

This is an exciting topic. Time to have some fun again.

1. Do you think an attack is inevitable and would any subsequent Chinese invasion be successful? Or can the parties defuse the situation or, failing that, could Taiwan repel an invasion?
8) I don' t think it's inevitable. There must be a way to avert the war. No one should risk his life, and his family lives, to defend any ideology.

3. Do you think that the U.S. would come to Taiwan’s aid if China attacked Taiwan militarily?
8) Yes, that's what She has been doing for decades. What's the point to have a large army and don't use it?

4. Do you think that most Taiwanese would have the will to fight in the event of a large-scale Chinese military invasion or would most quickly seek terms of surrender or flee the island if they could?
8) Some have the will, but don't have the way. "Where there is a will, there is a way." doesn't apply here. Push a button and launch a missile when you only see the enemy vessel on radar is one thing, get a gun or a broom to fight a real solider is another. When our air-force, navy and army are all down, a leader, if he is responsible, should do his best to arrange peace and not sacrifice the civilian lives. But, anyway, I don't believe that guy would be in Taiwan with his broom when PLA is here. He is too smart for that. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Dan

Re: 3/16 (Tue.) Threat of Chinese Military Attack; Taiwanese Culture (Host: Dan)

文章 Dan »

Good to hear from you again, Rock! I hope you will bring those views to the discussion Tuesday.

Personally, I believe the U.S. would come to Taiwan's aid--not because it loves Taiwan or bubble tea so much but because it would be in the U.S. national security (and economic) interest to do so. But I also believe Taiwan's natural and military defenses could probably thwart a Chinese invasion with only U.S. logistical and diplomatic support.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Sure. And thank you again. You are the only one in Yoyo who can host this kind of controversial topic.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Dan

文章 Dan »

Given that it's a controversial topic I chose, I'm sure Iris is sorry she got me this hosting gig. :lol:

But getting a Yoyo hosting slot is so difficult that even if China actually attacks us between now and Tuesday, I'm not giving up this slot!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Every time I invited Dan to host a meeting, I had to go through a period of mental turmoil.
I did tell him that the subject about Taiwanese politics is "Fragile! Please handle with care!' :lol:

(More thoughts on the topics are coming soon!)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Iris Wu 寫:
週四 3月 11, 2021 11:16 pm
Every time I invited Dan to host a meeting, I had to go through a period of mental turmoil.
I did tell him that the subject about Taiwanese politics is "Fragile! Please handle with care!' :lol:
But I guess it's no problem, my lady. All we do is talk, like most Taiwanese do when they "fight" Chinese on the discussion sections on the internet. No matter how ugly the fight is, it's only talk. It's not likely that someone would join the army for this or anything. Besides, if Yoyoers cannot discuss controversial topics rationally, then no Taiwanese can do this lo.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Personally, I also believe the US would help Taiwan if China were to attack us one day, because the US is worried that China can deploy missiles in Taiwan to threaten the US.

The thing is how deep the US would get involved in this China-Taiwan war. Would the US send troops or just provide weapons for free? or just give lip services of condemnation?

I will try my best to join this interesting topic. ^·^
Dan

文章 Dan »

That's a good point, Michael. I hope you can make it Tuesday.

Another selfish reason I hear that the U.S. would come to Taiwan's aid in the event of a war--besides the significant national security reasons--is that TSMC is too important to the global tech economy to let China destroy or take over.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Rock 寫:
週五 3月 12, 2021 7:10 am
Iris Wu 寫:
週四 3月 11, 2021 11:16 pm
But I guess it's no problem, my lady. All we do is talk, like most Taiwanese do when they "fight" Chinese on the discussion sections on the internet. No matter how ugly the fight is, it's only talk. It's not likely that someone would join the army for this or anything. Besides, if Yoyoers cannot discuss controversial topics rationally, then no Taiwanese can do this lo.
Dear Rock, you are very right about this!
Yes, that's why I overcame my mental turmoil every time, and invited Dan to host again and again! I was trying to put YoYo in the test bench and see how far we can be stretched! :mrgreen: :wink:
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

I don’t think the war is inevitable either, but to avoid it and render a long-term solution require right leadership on both sides, because people are easy to be manipulated especially under the influence of nationalism and populism. We watched the reports of military parade, troop field exercises and drills, we read articles about the arms purchases and arms race between superpowers, but we hardly know what the actual military capability is and how much is bluffing.

An interesting poll (https://tw.news.yahoo.com/中華民意研究協會民調-沒在 ... 01309.html) shows that 80% of Taiwanese did not think China will attack Taiwan militarily; only less than 20% believed military confrontation might happen. Does that mean we have a lot of confidence on the “wisdom” of the leadership in both sides? :)

The poll said nearly 60% of the Taiwanese were certain that U.S. will come to Taiwan’s aid if China invades. I guess if not because Americans love bubble tea so much or because TSMC is so important to them, U.S. must know that they will lose the trust from their Asian allies and leave a hole in their Island Chain strategy if they do not somehow defend Taiwan.

But it’s not 1950’s anymore. Personally, I don’t have much faith on this aid. First, it is because U.S. does not have very good track record in terms of foreign military aids, and secondly “God helps those who help themselves.” We probably should not expect and blame (or doubt) the willingness of U.S. coming to Taiwan’s aids, as the poll indicated, in return, there are only 21% of Taiwanese would fight alongside the U.S., should the war happen. Majority of the Taiwanese prefer to stay on the sidelines!
Dan

文章 Dan »

I'm glad that you still think about me for hosting duties, Iris. And I'm proud to say that war has NEVER broken out among Yoyo club members when I've hosted--at least not yet. :D

Those are interesting poll results you described in your post. I also found some interesting poll results. They are from a Taiwan National Security Survey (TNSS), which was conducted late last year.
https://thediplomat.com/2020/12/more-an ... ht-for-it/

The survey found that a majority (53.2%) of Taiwanese believe the United States would "deploy its military to help defend Taiwan," even if Taiwan itself triggered the war by declaring formal independence from China. Only 35% think the U.S. would not protect Taiwan in this case. That's amazing, and for me, it speaks to how much Americans must love Taiwanese bubble tea.

The poll also found that, for the first time, a "plurality" of respondents (47.5%) "now believe that Taiwan independence is more likely than unification." A plurality here means that this was the top answer, though did not get an absolute majority. It means most Taiwanese no longer think Taiwan becoming part of China is inevitable.

There are other interesting findings, including that more than three-quarters (75.7%) of respondents believe that Taiwanese men should be required to serve for more than four months, for compulsory military training.

I look forward to hearing what people think about this, among other things, Tuesday.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

In preparing the second session, I had hard time to come up with solid viewpoints on Taiwanese culture. Things I could think of are way too shallow. I started to reverse the thinking process, why is it difficult to identify our own culture?
I did not find a good English article to discuss this subject well, but I ran into this Chinese one, which I think gives great insights into this topic:
https://crossing.cw.com.tw/article/9210

Sorry, Dan, I did not get time to summarize it in English before the meeting. Hopefully you can Google Translate it. :)
We will chat more in the meeting.
Dan

文章 Dan »

Thanks for posting that, Iris. Yes, I also found it difficult to find articles about Taiwanese culture in English.

The writer of the article you posted makes some good points, though is very long-winded. :wink:
And though I only read through the translation quickly, I didn't see many examples of unique Taiwanese culture, aside from beef noodles and some product brands I hadn't heard of--at least not the brand names as translated.

I think the writer is right that Taiwan needs to try to develop its own unique style, along with some global brands, among other things.

Anyway, lots to discuss.
回覆文章