4/16(Sat) How to Fill the Emptiness You Feel after Binging a Great Show (Host:Kooper)

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

4/16(Sat) How to Fill the Emptiness You Feel after Binging a Great Show (Host:Kooper)

文章 Kooper »

My dear Yoyo friends,

It's time for me to do my part as a host. Please read the article from the following link before coming to discuss. Thanks.

PSYCHOLOGISTS ON HOW TO FILL THE EMPTINESS YOU FEEL AFTER BINGEING A GREAT SHOW

If you have problems accessing the website (it could be blocked by Cisco Umbrella in some people's computers), please read the Google Docs that I created instead: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pUz ... sp=sharing

Here is the article for question 2. If you don't have time to read it through, below is a brief summary.

This Is Why You Grieve The Ending Of Your Favorite TV Show
- You connect to the stories and characters
- The show is a form of temporarily checking out
- The length of the series is a way of looking back on your life
- You're going to miss the experience of watching and talking about it

Questions for Discussion:
Session One:
1. Share with us a movie, TV series, or novel that once brought you an intense emotion - be it positive or negative - and that emotion lingered for days or weeks afterwards. What emotion was it? Why did the story resonate with you? (e.g., You related to the characters, storyline, music, etc.)

2.1 It's not uncommon that fans experience feelings of loss or emptiness when a favorite show they've watched and kept up with, sometimes for year, comes to an end. Why do they have such strong emotions?
2.2 If you've personally experienced that feeling of emptiness, what is the story and how did it win your heart?

3. Do you feel it a sign of weakness if you, or someone you know, grieve the ending of a fictional life from a beloved story and have difficulties returning to real life? Why and why not?

Session Two:
4. The article offers several ways to overcome this aftereffect of finishing a deeply engaging story and keep one’s head up. Which one might work best to you?

- Tell others about the story
- Joining a fan club of the story helps one reflect positively on the story while connecting with others and developing new relationships
- Meditate on the story - think or journal about how you were changed and grew by that experience
- Actively participate in everyday life, relationships and responsibilities
- Get busy with jobs that have been put off or an idea sparked from the story
- Reinvest one’s energy and attention into another series

5.1 Research shows that watching tragic or sad movies can actually make people happier because it brings attention to the more positive aspects of their own lives. Does it match your personal experiences?
5.2 Have you ever had that feeling when finishing a feel-good story where you didn’t actually feel that good?
5.3 If two stories are equally good but with opposite endings, do you prefer the one with a happy ending or the one with a sad ending?
5.4 Recommend us an awesome show with a happy ending
5.5 Recommend us an awesome show with a tragic ending

----------------------------------
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 4/16(Sat) How to Fill the Emptiness You Feel after Binging a Great Show (Host:Kooper)

文章 Rock »

I read this in the article: "In fact, Raymond explains that people with uninspiring real-life connections might require a regular dose of fantasy to keep their head up."

I guess I'm in big trouble. :cccry:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Janice Wang
YOYO member
文章: 79
註冊時間: 週六 3月 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: 4/16(Sat) How to Fill the Emptiness You Feel after Binging a Great Show (Host:Kooper)

文章 Janice Wang »

As an avid sports fan, my leisure time typically revolves around watching those perennial sports games. However, I still manage to watch certain recommended and popular TV dramas to avoid FOMO (fear of missing out). Living with the lingering Coronavirus, sports events were not playing out as usual at the beginning of the pandemic, as a result, I have been more hooked on TV shows compared to pre-COVID, all thanks to the streaming platforms that brought us the modern age entertainment. It is just what the doctor ordered during the lockdown!

With the proliferation of the entertainment industry, there are always a wide array of TV shows available on screens.  If only time permits, I‘d like to devour as much of it as possible. I specifically enjoy the genre of police procedural drama the most, in particular, British production, 6-8 episodes tops per season and less-heroic ones! As the story unfolds, all I am focused on is to ferret out the perpetrator! When the show is all over, emotion unmoored, time to go after another good one!   The sense of ”emptiness“ over TV shows might find no space to dock.

Through a lot of recommendations, My Mister, a Korean TV drama, is one of the best works that has overwhelmingly impressed me. It was a masterpiece, both awe-inspiring and thought-provoking; I cried my heart out while watching it. It is a rich story that perfectly balanced sorrow & despair with humor & optimism. It allows viewers to get a deeper and more profound understanding of the pain of everyday people. Life sometimes is very unfair! People can be placed in vastly different circumstances based on the lottery, called birth. My Mister is a story of how two people’s lives collided (one middle-aged man & a young girl), and how they help save each other through the exposure of their vulnerabilities, pains, and troubles in a very unexpected way! With this very TV drama, I have come to realize “crying” can be very soothing! It echoes the research in question #5, one’s problem can be solved when one’s able to count their blessings or at least their impact will pale in comparison.
頭像
Leon
YOYO member
文章: 256
註冊時間: 週日 5月 30, 2004 9:55 am

文章 Leon »

Janice Wang 寫:
週四 4月 14, 2022 10:05 am
Through a lot of recommendations, My Mister, a Korean TV drama, is one of the best works that has overwhelmingly impressed me.
"My Mister" is also one of my favorite. It really touch me in some moment.
After watching all episodes, I really feel empty for a while.
I have recommended it to Kooper and Gloria but it seems they do not like this genre.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:
週四 4月 14, 2022 9:41 am
I read this in the article: "In fact, Raymond explains that people with uninspiring real-life connections might require a regular dose of fantasy to keep their head up."

I guess I'm in big trouble. :cccry:
You are not alone Rock. Uninspiring trivia is often part and parcel of our everyday life. That's why we are drawn to great shows because they are telling unusual and often dramatic stories.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Leon 寫:
週四 4月 14, 2022 11:05 pm
Janice Wang 寫:
週四 4月 14, 2022 10:05 am
Through a lot of recommendations, My Mister, a Korean TV drama, is one of the best works that has overwhelmingly impressed me.
"My Mister" is also one of my favorite. It really touch me in some moment.
After watching all episodes, I really feel empty for a while.
I have recommended it to Kooper and Gloria but it seems they do not like this genre.
Ha ha, I actually consider My Mister a drama I need to watch sometime. It's just that I haven't had the stomach for heavy drama yet. :wink:
回覆文章