technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

Some basic "facts" regarding English

文章 technobabel »

Feel free to disagree, and disagree you shall

1. 英漢字典 doesn't always hit the spot, especially the concise version.

2. There are enough quality English learning tools and resources out there, learning English is fun and easy.

3. Due to statement #2, English teaching will be a "sunset" career.

4. Casual English conversation is fun to learn but one should really focus on improving business oriented conversations.

5. The low intensity/high frequency vocab exposure is better than high intensity/low frequency exposure.

6. The failure to detect grammatical mistakes is worse than the grammatical mistakes itself.

7. The most useless English sentence you can learn in Taipei is: "Hey, Mr. Bus/Taxi Driver, Why don't you just step on it?"

8. "Sink or swim" is the best way to learn anything.

9. English Clubs aren't suppose to provide "intensive" English experience, if you do, the fun will diminish and people will no longer attend.

10. The English situation is just one of many perpetual crises that Taiwan will never resolve.
最後由 technobabel 於 週六 3月 18, 2006 12:56 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
頭像
David_Liao
YOYO member
文章: 300
註冊時間: 週日 8月 17, 2003 12:21 am
來自: inner cosomos
聯繫:

文章 David_Liao »

I think the 4th statement is more serious than what we did these years. Some may be frightened away by these types of topics. Business oriented conversations include finance, law, technology, and various kind of process ... blah… blah… blah... If we really want to improve biz English, I suggest every topic posted should be attached with related specific terms and their explanation. Otherwise, people will think " OK, coz so many vocabularies I never recognize before, I wouldn’t like to go" :roll:
"Space...the final frontier... to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations... to boldy go where no one has gone before."
小道長練功坊
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

Due to other priorities in life, it is best to leave some stones unturned,

which leads us to fact #11

11. There are basically two modes of learning, proactive and reactive. The extreme case of "proactive" is to leave no stone unturned. More precisely, proactive learning is going out of your way in learning something you don't need to know.

12. The act of attending English club of your choice is "proactive". For that brief hours, what ever you being told to do is a "reactive" learning situation. Proactively putting yourself in a reactive situation, that is the essence of immersion.
頭像
AlteredEgo
文章: 6
註冊時間: 週日 8月 14, 2005 1:33 am
來自: Bottom of the Ocean

文章 AlteredEgo »

13. In the land of blind, the one-eye man gets to be the English guru.

14. Like learning to swim, you don't want be be in water that is too shallow or too deep.
All I ask is the chance for me to prove that money does not make me happy.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

15. Learning English and Chinese concurrently is like killing two birds with one stone. But the stone can not be too small.

16. The final stage of vocabulary memorization is internalization. Internalized vocabs ideally become an integral part of your thought process. Unless this stage is achieved, most "memorized" vocabs will gradually fade away. Does that sound like an uphill battle?
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

17. It is not broken English, but a whole new breed of language being reinvented, thank you very much.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

18. If you can only scratch the surface. Just make damn sure that it is a deep scratch.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

19. English is the means, not the end.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

20. Mediocre English learners do their best to avoid situations that reminds them of their inadequate English proficiency.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

21. Poor English skill is similar to chronic malnutrition. Erratic junk foods and snacks are no subsitute for regular healthy balanced diet. Not to mention that occasional feasts can often cause major indigestions.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

22. By the rule of "winner takes all", English is a modern day de facto path to enlightenment. With all due respect, other endangered languages are also very charming.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

23. To inspire English learning in a dysfunctional English learning environment is a very cruel practical joke.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

24. Those who wish to take giant leaps toward virtual native fluency keep forgetting that the task actually consists of countless baby-steps.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

24 (Part II). When you are in the zone, with enough momentum, countless baby-steps can be made to blur into one virtual giant leap, especially if you have cruise control.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

25. "You can be a little ungrammatical if you come from the right part of the country (globe)."

Robert Frost (1874–1963), U.S. poet. Atlantic (Boston, Jan. 1962)
回覆文章