1/23(Sat.) what matters in life? (Host: Luis)

回覆文章
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 971
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

1/23(Sat.) what matters in life? (Host: Luis)

文章 Luis Ko »

hi, guys, i am Luis, the host for this coming Saturday(1/23). i have got to admit the topic and questions are used before, but i guess it might be new for some people. if you are interested in discussing it, or just simply free on 1/23 freedom day, welcome to the meeting oh~ :drink:

please note that you might need reading the "fisherman" article to have some ideas for the discussion before joining in the meeting .

session one
People say that we exist on this earth for some undetermined period of time. During that time we do things. Some of these things are important. Some of them are unimportant. And those important things give our lives meaning and happiness. The unimportant ones basically just kill time.
(Reference: https://markmanson.net/life-purpose)

questions:

1. If you have superpowers or are as capable as Ironman, would you choose to live like a superhero and dedicate your entire life to save the world, or you would rather live a normal life with people you love? And Why?

2. if everyone was ironman, would ironmen still be popular? "Apple would go bankrupt", just like Rock once said, if everyone loved to live a simple life. if everyone loved to do the same kind of jobs and lived the same kind of life, especially a simpler life, what the world would be? better or what?

3. guess people's choices do decide what kind of life they lead, and also how our society is developed. so why do you work? how far do you agree life doesn't have to be like what others say?

4. What is the meaning of life? Does life require a purpose and a goal?

session two
The Story of the Mexican Fisherman
https://bemorewithless.com/the-story-of ... fisherman/

questions:

1. what dose this story try to tell? what's your take on it? what's in your mind after reading it?

2. what you need is different from what you want. do you know what you really need and what you really want in your life? what kind of life you want to lead? do you really lead the life you want?

3. Do you agree that the most important purpose in life is to find happiness? What is happiness? What is the most important thing in your life (e.g. spend time with your loved ones, have a great career, find your inner peace… )?

4. why do you think you are here on this earth? Do you believe there's life after death?

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
最後由 Luis Ko 於 週五 1月 22, 2021 8:37 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 1/23(Sat.) what matters in life? (Host: Luis)

文章 Michael-liu »

What happened to the original topic about "us" and "them" ?
Johnie
YOYO member
文章: 39
註冊時間: 週二 4月 22, 2008 11:03 am

文章 Johnie »

We're supposed to have this meeting in Church or temple :wink:
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Johnie 寫:
週三 1月 20, 2021 2:12 pm
We're supposed to have this meeting in Church or temple :wink:
right, yoyo is a place where i can feel released and comfortable, jsat like in a church or a temple and, the thing i pray for is ENGLISH. :lol:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Please note that the session two questions are supposed to be in this order, and have been revised.

1. what dose this story try to tell? what's your take on it? what's in your mind after reading it?

2. what you need is different from what you want. do you know what you really need and what you really want in your life? what kind of life you want to lead? do you really lead the life you want?

3. Do you agree that the most important purpose in life is to find happiness? What is happiness? What is the most important thing in your life (e.g. spend time with your loved ones, have a great career, find your inner peace… )?

4. why do you think you are here on this earth? Do you believe there's life after death?
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Luis has become more of a philosophical person and is more than happy to bombard us with a million dollar questions. I am in over my head and fail to answer any of the questions.

I won't give up though. Maybe after scratching head harder, I can get you some runaround tomorrow. :wink:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

The story of the Mexican fisherman highlights two opposite life principles. One is living in the moment and do not save for a rainy day. The other practices delayed gratification for as long as up to several decades. Both end up living a carefree lead at a small coastal fishing village.

You may wonder why bother delaying gratification if both approaches come to the same destination. Well, one noticeable difference between the banker and the fisherman, while in their 60s, is their financial situations: The banker will have built a solid nest egg. The fisherman, on the contrary, will remain live at the mercy of the sea and climate.

This doesn’t necessarily imply that the rich made a wiser choice than the poor. As a matter of fact, the stakes are not low in either case; they just expose themselves to different risks. A person who chooses to delay gratification actually doubles down. The longer it is delayed, the more are at stake. If their well mapped-out plan doesn’t work out as expected, due to either illness, inability, or simply misfortune, they will end up not spending a single day in the way they want.

The fisherman, though enjoying his life from day one, live under the assumption of a rather predicable environment. Sustainability of his lifestyle depends wholly on a stable climate, catch, and markets. It is however more and more impossible to live in an isolated environment that is immune to adverse external impacts. Excessive emission of greenhouse gases by few large countries could accelerate global warming and lead to more frequent extreme weather. Overfishing in one ocean area could slash catch in another area. Technology breakthrough might turn a market upside down, cutting product prices and devaluing specific skills.
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Kooper 寫:
週五 1月 22, 2021 10:54 pm
Luis has become more of a philosophical person and is more than happy to bombard us with a million dollar questions. I am in over my head and fail to answer any of the questions.

I won't give up though. Maybe after scratching head harder, I can get you some runaround tomorrow. :wink:

i tried very hard to find these questions to make up the numbers, i mean to make these questions more meaningful. :lol:

as to the fisherman story, i think one of the points in the session one article can somewhat reflect it. people have got to know what's really important to them. if they don't, they are essentially living other people's priorities instead of their own. then again, it's always easier said than down lo~ :mrgreen:
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

In search of ancient wisdom:

As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is,
is what matters. ~ JK Rowling.
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendee(23): Steve, Stephen, Julia, Kooper, Amy, Shirley, Leon, Catherine, Ting(newcomer), Carrie, Wei-Wei (newcomer), Ramesh, Laura, Gloria, Mandy, Jacy, Iris, Julian, David, Thomas, Jason, Luis(host), Christine
回覆文章