3/27(Sat.) The Zeigarnik Effect and Memory(Host: Gloria)

回覆文章
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

3/27(Sat.) The Zeigarnik Effect and Memory(Host: Gloria)

文章 Gloria Lo »

Dear yoyo members,
It’s my honor and also my pleasure to host again, hope you enjoy it. :D

An Overview of the Zeigarnik Effect and Memory
https://www.verywellmind.com/zeigarnik- ... ew-4175150

Quotation:
"Have you ever found yourself interrupted by intrusive thoughts about unfinished work? Perhaps they were about a partially finished work project keeping you up at night or the plot of a half-read novel that keeps circling your thoughts. There is a reason why it's so hard to stop thinking about uncompleted and interrupted tasks. Psychologists refer to this as the Zeigarnik effect, or the tendency to better remember unfinished tasks than completed ones."

Session 1
Questions for Disscussion

1.Zeigarnik effect is usually linked to first love or unfinished love. Do you agree with it based on your own experiences?
2. Do you find anything in your life that might be interpreted as an application of Zeigarnik effect? And, how do you use the effect to your advantage?
3. Please try to challenge this theory. Do you think of any evidences or examples against it? And, what are the possible disadvantages of the effect to you?
4. According to the article, do you think “fear” and “anxiety” are also good strategies to help motivate people?

Session 2
Questions for Disscussion

5. What mental tricks do you use to handle things that you need to keep in mind or to better remember a great deal of information?
Please also try to discuss ways like active rehearsal, taking the first step, taking deliberate breaks, etc.
6. Please DO discuss seriously and provide 3 practical tips on impressing a lady or gentleman by utilizing this very effect.
7. What human nature or traits does this effect reveal?

Agenda:
4:00 ~ 4:15pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:15 ~ 4:20pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:20 ~ 5:00pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
5:00 ~ 5:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:20 ~ 5:30pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:30 ~ 6:10pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:10 ~ 6:30pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:30 ~ 6:35pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
****************************************************************************************************************************************
Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號 - 捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: 3/27(Sat.) The Zeigarnik Effect and Memory(Host: Gloria)

文章 Kooper »

I have some experiences that may have something to do with the Zeigarnik effect; it’s however not clear whether they make a strong case for the effect or instead serve as a counter-example.

When I follow Korean TV drama, chances are not low that there are series that start great, luring me into binge-watching or repeatedly coming back to it once the newest episode has been released. It’s however all downhill from there; the drama becomes much less entertaining somewhere down the road and ends on a sour note.

Oftentimes I quit the series in no time when it turns unbearable, but there are always exceptions. The thing is, once in a blue moon, even though I have had zero expectation of the drama and do not feel it enjoyable at all, I still watch and complain it to the very end.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

Kooper,
I don't know if Zeigarnik effect can explain your experiences or not. But........ I think it's more like the theory: happiness level and self-esteem level is the result of Reality divided by Expectations, which was come up by William James in the 19th century. (I am not an expert, just searched by Google, and might be wrong :mrgreen: :lol: )

Among the Zeigarnik effect stuff I read, there is one thing might be related to your situation. We know that Unfinished Tasks create mental tension, and in your case, they create too much ......it also might result from your horoscope or charcater traits. (It sounds like I am a fortune-teller now....) :roll: :cry:
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(22): Andy, Laura, Arthur, Ramesh, Carmelo, Christina, Kat, Leon, Julian, Stephen, Kooper, Morris, Shirley, Jennia, Jessica, Winston, Rock, Jason, Howard, David, Tashi, Gloria (host)
回覆文章