回覆文章
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

03/26 (Sat.) Your Name (host: Rock)

文章 Rock »

We did it before, now I'm going to do it again. Please keep your Chinese name as a secret.
A tiny piece of paper will be given to you in the meeting. Write down your names, both in English and Chinese. We are going to show people who you really are. :lol:

Session One
How your name affects your personality

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2021 ... ersonality
https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-unfort ... gn=organic

圖檔

The first piece of information strangers learn about most people is a moniker picked for them by their parents. But what you are called can have a surprising impact on how others perceive you.

Questions:
1. What information of a person can you get from his/her name? What is a good name to you? What is a bad one?
Do you agree that "children's names could play a part in shaping how others see them and therefore ultimately the kind of person they become."?

2. What do you see in your Chinese name? Is your name good for you? Do you think people see you differently because of your name? Are your personality and fortune somehow affected by it? Would you change your name for any reason?
2.1 Game: You've been adopted and given a new name. What do you think about your new name? Do you think it's better than your old one and you're having a better future because of it?
(A piece of paper will be given to people and they will write down two names, male and female, by their choice. If you are lucky enough, you will have a brand new, super wonderful name, thanks to your adoptive parent.)

3. What are some of the funny names and jokes you know? Which one from the "198 Worst Names Ever" is the worst to you?

Session Two
Why do women still change their names?

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20 ... 20propose.

4. Why do women still change their names in UK and the US?

5. Why do most of the married women in Taiwan don't change their names anymore? Would it be weird to you if someone still do it?  If your wife did it, would you take it as a token of love for you and the family thus benefit the family in the long run?

6. If you are/were a married woman, would you prefer to be called "張小姐" or "王太太"? Does it mean anything to you?

Bonus article
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/why-do-peo ... heir-cars/

Bonus question: Do you name your car? Why do people name their cars? Are there any benefits in it?

Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $100)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for two times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee, or NT$1000 for students.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 03/26 (Sat.) Your Name (host: Rock)

文章 Iris Wu »

I can never forget the three names that our Chinese teacher told us when I was in high school. She said she had a student, whose last name was "葉" and whose name was "一枝花"; a few years later, she taught two sisters, and their names were "疏影" and "暗香".
I've never met them, but I keep wondering if their character traits are like their names: one is so direct and explicit, and the other two are implicit and self-restraint. I am glad that I've never known them. It leaves me something to the imagination.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

葉一枝花?What kind of name is it? Is she from Japan?

暗香 and 疏影 sounds much better, though still a bit like from 瓊瑤's or 金庸's novels.
:lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

According to my mom, when my father married her, my father added his last name on my mom's maiden last name without her permission. When my mom saw her new ID card with 冠夫姓, she was shocked and sort of angry.

Also, the thing that my daughter bears my wife's last name always haunts my mom. I regret and feel bad I did this to her.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Rock 寫:
週五 3月 25, 2022 9:38 pm
葉一枝花?What kind of name is it? Is she from Japan?

暗香 and 疏影 sounds much better, though still a bit like from 瓊瑤's or 金庸's novels.
:lol:
「疏影橫斜水清淺 暗香浮動月黃昏」
— In this famous poem: 疏影、暗香implies 梅花
— Some said 林逋”山園小梅”中當中最美的一句,成為古往今來讚美梅花的標杆。
— I cannot help reciting the poetry when I read their names…
— Don’t you feel their father gave the sisters perfect names? :)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

But when the girls need to tell people how to write their names, it's a bit difficult for 疏影 to do so. I think it's a bit weird to say 我的名字是疏影,疏離的疏,電影的影, but that's the best I can think of.

我的妹妹叫暗香,黑暗的暗,蚊香的香, seems not so good to me, either.

:shock:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Michael-liu 寫:
週五 3月 25, 2022 9:59 pm

Also, the thing that my daughter bears my wife's last name always haunts my mom. I regret and feel bad I did this to her.
Indeed. Most of time it's the father's family name to the kid. But, on the other hand, it means that you are open-minded on this, which is a good thing.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Rock 寫:
週五 3月 25, 2022 11:54 pm
But when the girls need to tell people how to write their names, it's a bit difficult for 疏影 to do so. I think it's a bit weird to say 我的名字是疏影,疏離的疏,電影的影, but that's the best I can think of.
我的妹妹叫暗香,黑暗的暗,蚊香的香, seems not so good to me, either.
Oh, I thought they would just need to recite the poem when asked about their names.
But true, it would be casting pearls before swine for those who do not appreciate the poem.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

I do appreciate the poem. I also appreciate the pearl and swine idiom. It's comical. :lol:

But I have to admit that my knowledge in poetry is very limited. I guess I am going to eat those pearls. :mrgreen:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hi, thank you all for coming. We have Michael, Wendy, Steve, Christine*2, Rosie, Julia, James, Alan, Shirley, Carmelo, Rock, and some people who are away but their names were with us. :lol:
回覆文章