Articles recommended before meeting:
- Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows
- Introduction to the abortion debate
- Are you pro-life or pro-choice? What are your reasons for or against abortion?
1a. When, if ever, does a human fetus become a 'human being'?
1b. Is a fetus has a right to life? If so, does that right take priority over the mother's right to control her own body?
- Should abortion be legalized? Should it be restricted? In what circumstances should abortion be legal?
- In your opinion, is abortion a “right to self-determination” issue or a morality issue? As a woman, would you tell your boyfriend about your abortion for your ex-boyfriend? As a man, would you continue to date a woman who admitted to having had an abortion before? Why?
- Do you support the amendment to Article 9 of the Genetic Health Act (優生保健法) in Taiwan to remove the requirement for married women to obtain “husband’s consent” before having an abortion? Why or why not?
4a. As a husband, would you be mad if your wife got an abortion without telling you?
4b. As a wife, would you go for abortion if your husband wants the kid but you don't?
Session II: New Working Model
Articles recommended before meeting:
- One or Two Days in the Office Is the ‘Sweet Spot’ of Hybrid Work
- Law firm says staff can work from home - for 20% less pay
- Is the end of working from home near?
- According to a paper from Harvard Business School, hybrid workers performed better than those who worked primarily at home or mainly in the office. Do you agree?
1a. As an employer, do you prefer traditional office emvironment, fully remote, or hybrid work? Why?
1b. As an employee, do you think hybrid working is good for you? If so, how many days in a week to work from home may work best for you? Why?
- If your company offer you an option to work from home permanently for 20% less pay, would you go for it? What pay package do you think is reasonable for full-time remote workers?
- Do you agree that working in the office gives employees a better sense of belonging to the company, more social connections with other colleagues, and greater results in brainstorming and team creativity? What are good reasons to ask employees to return to the office?
- In your opinion, who benefits the most when employees are working from home?
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:00pm Summarization (10 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:05pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
8:05 ~ 8:45pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
8:45 ~ 8:55pm Summarization (10 mins)
8:55 ~ 9:00pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Zoom meeting ID: 88548972682
NO ON-SITE MEETING
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for three times (including on-site and online meetings). After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1000 lifetime membership fee.