(10/1) The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant (Host: Sunny)

回覆文章
頭像
sunny
YOYO member
文章: 261
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2003 5:03 am
來自: Taipei City
聯繫:

(10/1) The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant (Host: Sunny)

文章 sunny »

Hi yoyoers,

This time let's discuss some interesting short novels!

Discussion Materials for your reference:
1. the full book summary: https://www.sparknotes.com/short-storie ... e/summary/
2. the short movie (29 min)
[Session I:Let’s discuss the difference between Man and Woman]

1. Do you think the author wants us to sympathize with Madame Loisel's story? Why or why not?

2. Is being vain a sign of self-confidence or insecurity? What do you do that makes people think you’re vain? (coloring hair to make people think you are 30 / buying luxury car or bag…)

3. There's a quote from the book “Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus”:
"Men are motivated when they feel needed, while women are motivated when they feel cherished.”

Do you think it’s applicable to you? As a man, do you tend to look for a little woman, or an independent woman when looking for a lover? As a woman, do you like being protected, or protecting others more ?

4. Can being vain be a good thing?

[Session II :Lie and Vanity]

1. Do you view lies as utterly unacceptable and refrain from lying? Do you tell “white lies” when telling the truth would be overly complicated, uncomfortable, or tedious?

2. Have you ever told yourself a lie because accepting the truth would be too much to bear? Why do you do it?

3. Do you accept your partner lie to you? Which types of lie are acceptable, which types are not? Before or after marriage would make any differences?

4. As a lover/couple, do you tell your partner everything, any feeling including appearance, flaws, behavior, temper…, why yes or why not?

.......................................................................................
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Small Group Discussion (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:20pm Regrouping & Break
(Session II)
5:20 ~ 6:00pm Small Group Discussion (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm

On-site meeting:
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Online meeting:
Zoom ID: 875 5256 1813
Passcode: loveyoyo
Link: https://tinyurl.com/yoyobest
#YoyoEnglishClub

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely twice (including on-site and online meetings). After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1,500 (NT$1,000 for students) lifetime membership fee.
最後由 sunny 於 週五 9月 30, 2022 8:42 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: (10/1) The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant (Host: Sunny)

文章 Kooper »

This is an interesting ironic story. It narrates a woman’s life. She has had her share of unhappiness and misfortune as a result of a deeply unsatisfied desire for wealth, which is symbolized by a diamond necklace in the story. The plot ends with a surprising twist: the necklace turns out to be not worth a hill of beans! The fiction to me nearly amounts to a fable. The author is trying to deliver the message that external fortune isn’t as valuable as people generally believe. When our self-identity or source of happiness is built on richness, it is fragile and not sustainable.

Under the influence of traditional social expectation of men’s and women’s roles in a family, when seeking a life-long partner, I tend not to look for one who has or is expected to accomplish more impressive achievement than I. To some degree, I like to feel needed, useful, and helpful, and to be admired in a relationship. Likewise, women of my generation could still enjoy the feelings of being protected or being taken care of even though objectively they may not necessarily need them.
回覆文章