9/24(Sat) AI Generated Art:The Future of Creation?(Host:Stephen)

回覆文章
stephen185
YOYO member
文章: 206
註冊時間: 週三 5月 30, 2007 8:23 pm

9/24(Sat) AI Generated Art:The Future of Creation?(Host:Stephen)

文章 stephen185 »

AI Generated Art: The Future of Creation??
圖檔
(Image Source: FreeImages)

How will AI redefine the arts in the coming years? This is the question that keeps popping up in our minds the moment we start to explore the world of Artificial Intelligence. In this blog post, we will be exploring how AI is going to redefine the arts with its ability to generate art on its own. Art is something that finds itself at perfect intersection between science and artifice. The way artists use geometry, make use of optics, or experiment with chemistry is something that can’t be explained logically. And it’s something we find fascinating. AI-generated art has become a popular subject of study, as evidenced by recent innovations such as Google’s ‘Neural Network’ (NN) trained on millions of images from Flickr which allows users to create their own unique artwork based on a set of prompts or instructions through its ‘auto-awesome’ photo feature; MIT computer scientist Desheng Zhou’s virtual painter called MENDES; Chinese search engine Baidu’s ink-and-cheese AI that creates images based on commands; and even Twitter who introduced an AI bot called Lenny that generates new weird tweets every day!

What’s the Big Deal About AI-Generated Art?
Art has always been a way to explore our creativity and imagination. It is something that has no boundaries and pushes us to explore the unexplored. We have always been fascinated with the idea of what can be created out of nothing. With the emergence of AI-generated art, we are exploring the idea of creating something out of something else. This takes the idea of art to a whole new level where the spark of imagination is fuelled not by our emotions and feelings, but by the cold data that is fed to the AI system. This idea of creating AI systems that can generate art on their own is a fascinating one. It is almost like a machine is trying to understand what it means to be human. With the recent progress in the field, we are now closer than ever to seeing AI-generated art become a reality.

How Does Artificial Intelligence Create Art?
The concept of AI-generated art is based on two factors - the ability of an AI system to understand an image and then use that to create a similar image, and the ability of AI to use natural language processing to understand human instructions and create images accordingly. There are two ways in which AI can create art - the first one uses an image or a set of images as the source material and then creates a completely new artwork, and the other one is where the AI system uses human-written instructions to create art. The first one is a little bit difficult to explain, but let’s try with an example. Suppose there is an image of a mountain and an AI system is trying to create an artwork based on that image. The system needs to understand what the image is trying to portray and then create a completely new image based on that. This is a very complicated task, but with the advancements made in recent times, it has become a reality. Now, the second option is a lot easier to understand. In this case, the AI system is fed with a set of instructions written by a human in natural language. For example - ‘create an artwork that has lots of colours and is like a rainbow’ or ‘create an artwork that has a similar feel to the sunset’. The AI system first understands what the instructions are trying to say, and then creates an artwork accordingly. This is called AI-generated art.

Is AI-generated art Real Art?
There is no doubt that AI-generated art is an art. However, the question is - is it real art? This is a question that is open to debate. But at the end of the day, it comes to a matter of opinion and taste. The AI systems at present are not able to create artwork that can be considered as real art in the sense that they are not able to evoke sentiments like sadness or happiness in the viewer. However, researchers are exploring ways to make these systems more human-like. The fact that these systems are able to understand and interpret human ideas and create art accordingly is something which can be considered as AI-generated art. It is not art created by machines, but art created by machines for humans.

How Will AI redefine the Arts?
When we think about AI-generated art and how it redefines the arts, we first need to understand what the current landscape of art is. The biggest difference between AI-generated art and real art is that the latter is created by an artist who is driven by his/her feelings and imagination. On the other hand, AI-generated art is an art created by an AI system that uses data to create an artwork. This means that the AI system is driven by data and the type of creativity is completely different from the ones that drive real artists. The biggest change that we can expect from AI-generated art is that it will completely transform the way we look at art and galleries. Already, we see AI-generated art being used in different ways. For example, we can expect artists to use AI to create artworks based on their instructions. There is also a possibility that galleries that deal with real art will also accept AI-generated artworks. The biggest change that we can expect from the AI system is that it will completely change the way we look at creativity and art.

Conclusion
The field of art has always been fascinating because it is something that can’t be explained logically. It is something that finds itself at perfect intersection between science and artifice. The way artists use geometry, make use of optics, or experiment with chemistry is something that can’t be explained logically. And it’s something we find fascinating. With the advent of AI-generated art, we are exploring the idea of creating something out of something else. This takes the idea of art to a whole new level where the spark of imagination is fuelled not by our emotions and feelings, but by the cold data that is fed to the AI system. This idea of creating AI systems that can generate art on their own is a fascinating one. It is almost like a machine is trying to understand what it means to be human. With the recent progress in the field, we are now closer than ever to seeing AI-generated art become a reality.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

(Note: Reference link to the article above is not available, because it was created by AI Article Writer 3.0 (https://app.writesonic.com/) upon my request. After logging onto the website using my google email account, I selected the category of “Article and Blogs” and picked 3 features of “Instant Article Writer”, “AI Article Writer 3.0”, and “Sonic Editor” to try. After several attempts, I found AI Article Writer performed the best. I just gave a topic of “AI generated Art” to the AI writer. It then led me through the 4 steps below to generate a draft article for me. The AI writer even picked up a topic-relevant image for the article.
Step 1: Come up with ideas
Step 2: Generate an Intro.
Step 3: Get an outline
Step 4: Generate your draft article
To make sure there is no plagiarism, I used Dupli Checker (https://www.duplichecker.com/) to do the check and the article was found to be 99% unique with 1% plagiarism. The only sentence detected to be identical to other sources is “This is a question that is open to debate.”)

Examples of AI Generated Art (by Stephen with WOMBO Dream & NightCafe Creator)
圖檔
(https://app.wombo.art/ "Enter a prompt, pick an art style and watch WOMBO Dream turn your idea into an AI-powered painting in seconds. It's FREE!". You can also try it at https://creator.nightcafe.studio/ for more styles with Stable Diffusion model.)

Paintings from AI Art Gallery (https://www.artaigallery.com/)
圖檔
(https://upload.cc/i1/2022/09/02/lr7Zqj.jpg)

Reference(You can make your AI-generated Art at reference 1 & 2 for free.)
1. Dream by WOMBO -https://app.wombo.art/
2. Stable Diffusion - NightCafe Creator -https://creator.nightcafe.studio/
3. "AI Generated Art "-https://www.carnegiecenter.org/ai-generated-art/
4. AI Art Gallery - https://www.artaigallery.com/
5. "Current State of AI Generated Art with Some Examples" -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqW-8WtYJvw
6. “An A.I.-Generated Picture Won an Art Prize. Artists Aren’t Happy.” -https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/tech ... tists.html
圖檔 (https://upload.cc/i1/2022/09/22/QrNyK7.jpg)
(Jason Allen’s A.I.-generated work, “Théâtre D’opéra Spatial,” won the blue ribbon award in the digital category at the Colorado State Fair.)

Theme Song
Without You-Air Supply(1991) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPsZiYNJIpQ)

Questions
Session I
1. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the AI generated article above? Did you sense any inconsistency in tone between sentences/paragraphs or unnatural flow of language? Will you consider using AI writing tools to help generating draft article?
2. According to the article, the AI systems at present are unable to create real art because AI artworks fail to evoke sentiments like sadness or happiness in the viewer. Do you agree with it after seeing paintings generated by AI above? Has any of the pictures aroused some sort of feeling in you? Please try to pick one of them (or, even better, the one made with AI by yourself) and describe how you feel when viewing it.
3. Since AI generated art is created by feeding cold data to the AI system, not sparked by our emotions and feelings, some argue that this type of “art” is nothing but a computer-generated imagery (CGI) from human created algorithms and it should not be regarded as human-created art. Do you agree?
4. Some advanced AI tools can turn prompts into delicate and hyper-realistic paintings without any additional touch from the users. Recently, Jason Allen took the first place in the digital category at the Colorado State Fair with his work, “Theatre D’opera Spatial,” which was made via an AI program, Midjourney. While some artists regard this as a high-tech form of plagiarism because AI generates graphics by exploiting millions of images from the open web, others argue that human creativity still remains essential for coming up with right prompts to generate a great piece of work. What’s your stand on this?

Session II
5. If a painter uses AI to create many paintings and got inspired by one of them, he/she then uses this picture as a basis and transforms it to a new piece of work. would you consider it to be some sort of cheating in essence?
6. Do you think AI generated artwork deserves being bestowed on a copyright? If yes, who should be the one that owns the copyright?
7. Using the AI art generators, artists can try out different ideas much more easily and quickly. In addition, AI tools can even generate new creative ideas that artists are unlikely to conceive just on their own. With these benefits, do you agree that artists who favor AI tools could become more competitive and those who oppose to it might be eliminated in the future?

******************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Small Group Discussion (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:20pm Regrouping & Break
(Session II)
5:20 ~ 6:00pm Small Group Discussion (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm

On-site meeting:
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Online meeting:
Zoom meeting ID: 848 6108 3035
Password: yoyo2022
Link: https://tinyurl.com/yoyo2022-meeting
#YoyoEnglishClub

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for twice (including on-site and online meetings). After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee.
最後由 stephen185 於 週六 10月 08, 2022 6:16 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 30 次。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 9/24(Sat) AI Generated Art:The Future of Creation?(Host:Stephen)

文章 Rock »

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Amazing!

Those politicians should have asked Google AI Article Writer to write theses for them. It can even pass the plagiarism checker! :)

The other possibility more relevant to us is how we can utilize the technology and tools to help us running YoYo?
Topics, and discussion questions may be arranged six months ahead with limited human intervention. So much potential wait for us to explore.
stephen185
YOYO member

文章 stephen185 »

Rock 寫:
週六 9月 03, 2022 7:45 pm
Everybody can do art now.

https://udn.com/news/story/7086/6586570 ... s-1-0-news
Rock,
Have you tried to make a painting using AI tools with Stable Diffusion model?
Would you like to create one and share your artwork with us here? :D
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Sorry, I didn't see your message until now. Sure, I will give it a try to see if I can make something out of it. Thank you la!! :D

Ha! I forgot that I did it already when I shared that article myself. Actually, what I made were some stupid things. They cannot be called art at all.圖檔
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
stephen185
YOYO member

文章 stephen185 »

Rock 寫:
週一 9月 19, 2022 8:34 am

Ha! I forgot that I did it already when I shared that article myself. Actually, what I made were some stupid things. They cannot be called art at all.
圖檔
(https://upload.cc/i1/2022/09/20/e4EBsy.jpg)
Rock,
Nice picture! Full of vitality!
I am curious about what is the description (prompt) you gave to the AI tool for generating this.
最後由 stephen185 於 週五 9月 23, 2022 1:06 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hey! Thanks a lot for the help. The description is simply "flowers and bees". :lol:
stephen185
YOYO member

文章 stephen185 »

Iris Wu 寫:
週六 9月 03, 2022 11:13 pm
The other possibility more relevant to us is how we can utilize the technology and tools to help us running YoYo?
Topics, and discussion questions may be arranged six months ahead with limited human intervention. So much potential wait for us to explore.
Iris,
prompted by your reply, I tried to ask Scalenut, an AI content generator, to come up with questions related to the topic of “The potential issues brought up by AI generated art.”
The following are some questions it generated,
1. Do you think people will be able to look at AI generated art in the same way as traditional art?
2. How do you think AI generated art will change the way we see creativity?
3. Do you think that AI generated art will always reflect human values?
4. Do you think people should be allowed to copyright AI generated art?
5. Do you think that AI generated Art will eventually replace human artists?
6. What do you think is the most important aspect of creating good AI generated art?
7. Would you like to see more AI-generated art in museums, or only online?
8. Do you think that AI-generated art has the same artistic value as human-created art?
9. Do you think that the technology used to create AI generated art is safe?
10. Do you feel like there is potential for AI generated art to be used for evil purposes?
Do you think Scalenut asked good questions?
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

stephen185 寫:
週二 9月 20, 2022 10:31 pm
Yes, my dear host. From sentence length point of view, they are much better for my two-byte sized brain. :cccry:

But in the AI generated blog, the open paragraph and the conclusion have some repeating statements. Not sure if that is the “machine error” or “human error created by the generator”?
I suspect it’s the latter! (AI should be a bit “smarter” than that, Haha! )

Last but not least, a humble request to our dearest host, may we have an AI generated theme song this time?
😛🤩🎼🎸🎻🪕🎹
stephen185
YOYO member

文章 stephen185 »

Iris Wu 寫:
週五 9月 23, 2022 8:55 am
stephen185 寫:
Last but not least, a humble request to our dearest host, may we have an AI generated theme song this time?
😛🤩🎼🎸🎻🪕🎹
Iris,
Here you go.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

I sensed something weird right after finishing the conclusion paragraph; many of the sentences in the last paragraph are just repeats of what has been said at earlier sections, using exactly same wording. I guess the AI Article Writer 3.0 hasn’t been good enough at rephrasing ideas. Although the AI doesn’t commit plagiarism in this article, to some extent we could claim that it is plagiarizing itself. :wink:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

stephen185 寫:
1. Do you think people will be able to look at AI generated art in the same way as traditional art?
2. How do you think AI generated art will change the way we see creativity?
3. Do you think that AI generated art will always reflect human values?
4. Do you think people should be allowed to copyright AI generated art?
5. Do you think that AI generated Art will eventually replace human artists?
6. What do you think is the most important aspect of creating good AI generated art?
7. Would you like to see more AI-generated art in museums, or only online?
8. Do you think that AI-generated art has the same artistic value as human-created art?
9. Do you think that the technology used to create AI generated art is safe?
10. Do you feel like there is potential for AI generated art to be used for evil purposes?
These are great questions! And the idea of leveraging AI power and creating questions to discuss in Yoyo meetings is brilliant! I'll definitely give it a shot in my next hosting.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

The point in the seventh question is spot on! Technology is a tool with huge potential of making our future life easier and better. Oftentimes this is achieved by improving either efficiency or effectiveness of a process or an activity. That’s exactly how AI art generator is going to benefit artists. It is going to slash the time it takes to create an artwork, making more iterations of art exploration and experiment feasible to painters before adding finishing touches to their paintings. The AI tools will also greatly facilitate learning curve of young artists. Future art students no longer have to spend years learning and sharpening basic painting skills and can devote all their effort and time into developing abstract concept and virtual layout of their artwork.

The creation of digital camera makes it possible to review photos a person just took only seconds later instead of hours or days later. It also makes trial and error of taking photos nearly costless. Combination of the two benefits results in a much lower entry barrier into photography. Just as almost everybody is to some extent a photographer nowadays, so amateur or part-time artists will become a dime a dozen in the future with the help of AI art tools.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

stephen185 寫:
週五 9月 23, 2022 9:53 pm
Iris Wu 寫:
週五 9月 23, 2022 8:55 am
stephen185 寫:
😛🤩🎼🎸🎻🪕🎹
Iris,
Here you go.
The music sounds like a movie soundtrack. Cool!
stephen185
YOYO member

文章 stephen185 »

We had a heated discussion on a slightly cool afternoon with the song "Without You" of Air Supply as the concluding remark. Although Russell Hitchcock might not be able to live without his love, I think we surely can live without ArtificiaI Intelligence (for now, at least). It would, however, be nice to have some help from AI to save us some work :)

The following is the attendee list,
Attendee(22):Rock, Lory, Kooper, Jeff,Christine Hsiu, Morris, Iris, Carmelo, Julia, Jerry, Christina Wu, David Jr., Janet, Michael, Wendy, Leon, Howard, Aanand(new), Julian, Steve, Ramesh, Stephen(host).

Theme song: "Without You" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjxEB-oM2WQ)
回覆文章