My dear friends,
Top Gun: Maverick, starring Tom Cruise, is a 2022 American action movie. As of November 6, 2022, it has grossed $1.487 billion worldwide, becoming the highest-grossing film of 2022, even thogugh it has not been released in China. It has also grossed more than $22 million in Taiwan, making it no. 7 box office in history. Therefore, I think it is the most popular movie in recent years.
I believe most of you have seen this movie, so I would like to discuss it and some of its concepts or philosophy.
Session I: Top Gun: Maverick
If you have not seen the movie yet, you may watch this video for reference:
1. How many Tom Cruise’s movies have you seen? Which one do you like/dislike the most? Do you like Tom Cruise? Why or why not?
2. Have you seen Top Gun: Maverick?
1)If no, why not?
2)If yes, why and where did you see it?
3.If you like/dislike the movie, which parts, such as special effect, cast, music, story, aircrafts, do you like/dislike the most?
4. Over the top (OTT) platforms, like Neflix and Disney+, seem to be more cost-effective and easier to watch anytime and anywhere, so they become more and more popular now. Will movie theathers disappear in the future? Why or why not?
Session II: To think or not to think?
When we were younger as students, we learned to think twice before we act, as follows:
However, in this movie, Tom Cruise plays a role with a quite different attitude. Being a maverick and “Don’t think, just do it” seem to be the key reasons making him succeed in his missions, as follows:
Therefore, which attitude on earth is better in our lives?
1. Are you a maverick? Why or why not?
2. Do you know any real person similar to Tom Cruise in the movie? How is his/her real life?
Is he/she a successful person?
3.If you are a team leader, do you like your team member similar to Tom Cruise, maverick but talented, in the movie? Why or why not?
4.Do you usually think twice before you act? Do you buy the idea-- Don't think, just do it--from the movie? Why or why not?
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:15pm Regrouping / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
8:05 ~ 8:45pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
8:45 ~ 8:55pm Summarization (10 mins)
8:55 ~ 9:00pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
* ZOOM ID: 875 5256 1813
* ZOOM PASSCODE: loveyoyo
* ZOOM LINK: https://tinyurl.com/yoyobest
No on-site meeting for Tuesday night!!!
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely twice (including on-site and online meetings). After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1,500 (NT$1,000 for students) lifetime membership fee.
11/29(Tue.) Top Gun: Maverick/ To think or not to think?(Host: Morris)
2 篇文章 • 第 1 頁 (共 1 頁)
2 篇文章 • 第 1 頁 (共 1 頁)