1/10 (Tue.) Can we end war? (Host: Miller)

回覆文章
miller
YOYO member
文章: 97
註冊時間: 週三 5月 09, 2018 6:17 pm

1/10 (Tue.) Can we end war? (Host: Miller)

文章 miller »

This is Miller, your host for the online meeting on 1/10.
More than one year ago, I had ever hosted one meeting to discuss what should we prepare for the war happening.
Taiwan is very lucky in the last couple of centuries due to its island.
It belongs to the less-often area to happen wars.
Because of this, we seldom study war in our education system as well.
I just raised this topic calling to action to know more about the war.
The biggest worry of most Taiwanese is whether it would happen a war between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait.
Through watching one flip and thinking of several questions, you may know the meaning of war and then find a way to face it.
We are going to discuss the causes of wars in session 1 and focus on two sides of the Taiwan Strait in session 2.
If you have any ideas to avoid the tragedy between the two sides, please come to join our meeting.

Can We End War
https://owlcation.com/humanities/100-Qu ... -for-Peace

Causes of War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeYqB23vNpY

13 wars in history that have shaped the world
https://www.brainscape.com/academy/infl ... ge-course/

China and Taiwan
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-59900139.amp

Session 1:
Q1. According to world history, it seems that wars are always happening and not going to stop. Do you know why?
Q2. The emperors usually incite their civilians to fire a war for different reasons like they are in threat or they need more resources.
Do you believe the excuses are reasonable? Why and why not?
Q3. Throughout history, we can find most small nations got the destiny to be invaded. But there are some exceptional cases like Sweden, Switzerland, Portugal, Qatar, and Panama.
Can you find the common ground between these countries?
Q4. Since we are human beings, it seems inevitable to have wars between different groups. The researchers already found the same situation among Gorillas.
Can you think of some ways to avoid the bias of human being toward wars?

Session 2:
Q5. If the war between Taiwan Strait is inevitable, one day you or your families would be called up to join this war.
What would you do? Stand up for your nation or just choose Goblin mode.
Q6. China and Taiwan are like siblings, someone would attack one another like the creations of Cadmus shortly. It would be a tragedy.
If we can go back to rewrite history, who should do something better in your opinion?
Q7. Do you support the policy to extend the period of military service? Why or why not.
Q8. All of us should take responsibility to be away from the tragedy, what will you do from now?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
7:00 ~ 7:10 pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50 pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10 pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:15 pm Regrouping / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:15 ~ 8:45 pm Discussion Session (30 mins)
8:45 ~ 8:55 pm Summarization (10 mins)
8:55 ~ 9:00 pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown in the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm

Online meeting:
* ZOOM ID: 875 5256 1813
* ZOOM PASSCODE: loveyoyo
* ZOOM LINK: https://tinyurl.com/yoyobest

No on-site meeting for Tuesday night!!!

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three-minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting after the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate their ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely twice (including on-site and online meetings). After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1,500 (NT$1,000 for students) lifetime membership fee.
miller
YOYO member

Re: 1/10 (Tue.) Can we end war? (Host: Miller)

文章 miller »

Move to the top.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Why are there always wars? I would say the Creator of human beings is the one to blame!

As a human being, we always see the individual differences, and it is so impossible to avoid all the individual conflicts in our whole lives. The conflicts are easily accumulated.
Human beings are social animals, we gather as a group, and individual conflicts become group conflicts naturally; hence bigotry arises, nationalists incited, populism deployed, and group conflicts are upgraded, and wars are formed.

For me, it is so doomed and gloomed. It is, just like stupidity, part of human nature.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

What is the best policy toward wars?

My immediate response was “to be prepared to avoid a war” and then I was so glad to find the following statements from two famous historians and politicians:
• "If you want peace, prepare for war” by the Roman general Vegetius.
• “To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.” by George Washington.
I thought it was "great minds think alike" initially, but truth is I am not really in line with the great minds after delving into the details of their statements. I meant to emphasize the latter part, avoiding wars, but they focused on preparing for it.

I really need to know what we are truly fighting for to justify why we fight. At this moment, I feel I may be more in line with the following thought:
  • “You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war. The very prevention of war requires more faith, courage, and resolution than are needed to prepare for war. We must all do our share, that we may be equal to the task of peace.” – Albert Einstein
miller
YOYO member

文章 miller »

Iris, thank you for your sharing.
You really hit the key point.
Most people would like to pursue peace and avoid wars as we deal with relationship day by day.
Some people would choose to become stronger to avoid bullying events in school.
But after you become stronger and stronger, would you want to bully someone else furtherly?

British naturalist Charles Darwin suggested that organisms best adjusted to their environment are the most successful in surviving and reproducing. "Natural selection or the survival of the fittest" became one surviving rule of most species. In my mind, wars are one kind of means to realize this rule.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

"When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence."-Jiddu Krishnamurti

war is the greatest violence human beings can make and always waged by people in power i would say, therefore, if we keep listening to those people in power's/politicians' bullshits, if we can't fundamentally change our mindset towards the rest of the world and teach our kids follow suit, and if we always separate ourselves from others, wars between human beings will always be there waiting to happen. at the end of the day, it all comes down to our choice. 8)

finally, when it comes to war, the most ridiculous thing is human beings are even taught that war has rules. if you break the rules in a war, you will commit a war crime. but, a war itself is a crime, isn't it??
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Luis Ko 寫:
週一 1月 09, 2023 10:41 pm

finally, when it comes to war, the most ridiculous thing is human beings are even taught that war has rules. if you break the rules in a war, you will commit a war crime. but, a war itself is a crime, isn't it??
Totally agree. This is totally ironic and hypocratical. But we also know that propaganda is part of the war. They are already killing, what's the big deal of lying?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Iris Wu 寫:
週一 1月 09, 2023 11:48 am

For me, it is so doomed and gloomed. It is, just like stupidity, part of human nature.
It's very true. But some people are smart. They already know how to work it out.

Question: Why is there no war in the 50 states?

There are different gods worshipped, different language spoken, discrepancy and all the reasons that the homo sapiens there could have killed each other. But except the civil war, there is no major conflict in the 50 states.

How do they do that? Is it because of democracy or any other noble reasons?

Only a fool or a liar would say so. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Wow! Good to see the powerhouse of YoYo critical thinking return!
I miss our YoYo trademark, the threaded and authentic forum discussion/debate!

Bravo, Miller, and the daring subject which inspires the sarcastic team coming back! 😊

For the fun of it, let me counter all your arguments here.

First, survival of the fittest rules should be interpreted as those who can adapt to the environment survive. “Fit” is just like gloves which fit on our hands as some described. Do we really need to physically beat up others to survive? No, right? People just like to exercise power over others; it’s mostly not for survival. I still think it’s a “defect” of human beings, unfortunately, there is no return policy for it.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Secondly, for rules of war, I am not so much against it. Torture is way, way, way worse than death in my mind. If any rules to prevent or reduce torture, I would say that’s the least the sane can do to punish the insane. It is hard to measure, but war, death and torture are in different scale for me in terms of insanity.

Thirdly, “why is there no war in 50 states?” I beg to differ. We can always slice the history into periods with and without wars. You can take 1950 to 2020 and say, “Wow! It’s great that there has been no war between both sides of Taiwan Strait.”, but what’s the point? Most countries do not have civil wars in most parts of their history.

OK. I guess I’ve offended everyone. The war of words is about to begin! It’s really a great honor to fight with you guys! :)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Iris is the only person who can do this 1 on 3 combat in Yoyo. I cannot fight for them. Let me try to do my part. :lol:

First, I totally agree with this:
"As a human being, we always see the individual differences, and it is so impossible to avoid all the individual conflicts in our whole lives. The conflicts are easily accumulated.
Human beings are social animals, we gather as a group, and individual conflicts become group conflicts naturally..."

My point is, the people in the 50 states somehow find a way to avoid the accumulating conflicts and see each other as friends, for a very long time. Unlike the peace between China and Taiwan, which we still see the other side as an enemy, they have real peace in the US. I suspect one of the reasons why they have this peace in the 50 states is because they always have a common enemy. If this enemy is down, they find another one, so there is always a target outside to release the pressure and avoid the conflicts inside.

Yes, as they have told us, there is no peace without war. :roll:
回覆文章