- How to Come Prepared to a YoYo Meeting? -- by Iris
I think we all agree that YoYo hosts are meticulous in their preparation for our discussions. They put a lot of effort into researching and selecting interesting topics, and creating thought-provoking questions.
We may also agree that coming unprepared to a meeting often leads to underperformance, reduced productivity, and sometimes, undermining the meeting quality. I am sure that is not what YoYo members expect from our meetings, but in reality, finding time to read all the meeting materials and rehearse all the discussion questions beforehand can be a significant challenge for most of us.
Given the circumstances, how can we come (to a YoYo meeting) better prepared and make the most of the opportunity to improve not only our English conversation skills but also our knowledge base, critical thinking, and presentation abilities?
I understand by the time of this meeting, ChatGPT may have become trite, lacking its freshness. Still, I believe it remains a powerful tool at our fingertips and at our disposal to enhance our language skills and prepare ourselves for YoYo-like presentations and group discussions.
We will be discussing the recent AI war in this meeting. You are encouraged to use ChatGPT to gather information and answers to all the questions. The deeper you drill down, the more you gain from this AI tool, but remember to summarize the information into your own thoughts and words.
What are their driving forces to compete? What is the status of the AI competition? Which product has equipped what AI functions? What are the implications and impacts on society, education systems, and individuals? Who will come out as a winner? Or will AI and these chatbots be another passing fad/trend, just like many other tech hypes that occurred in the past few years?
- 1) The AI War: Who Will Come Out on Top?
https://innovationorigins.com/en/laio/t ... ut-on-top/
2) Use AI to get ahead while others panic
3) 7 Revolutionary AI Business Ideas Powered by ChatGPT
https://medium.com/illumination/7-revol ... 354c038030
1. Who are the players in the current AI war? Why are they competing?
2. Share what you know about any high-tech software and functions equipped with AI-powered capability.
-- a) Among these products and functions, which will benefit you or impact you the most?
-- b) Who do you expect to be the winner? Why?
3. “We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.” (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/chatgpt- ... amatriain/)
What are some examples of the above statement? Will ChatGPT become a passing fad/trend just like some previous tech hypes?
Session II: The Implications and Impacts
1. In your opinion, how will the use of ChatGPT and intelligent chatbots impact human cognitive abilities? Will they enhance or hinder critical thinking and analytical skills? Why?
2. Will you allow your students to use AI Text Generators, such as ChatGPT, to do their assignments? Should academic institutions adapt or oppose this technology? Why and how to embrace or reject it?
3. What is wrong with AI taking over human jobs? If AI chatbots replace all our politicians, they might finally get some actual work done, don't you agree?
4. Seriously, “In the midst of every crisis, lies great opportunity.”
-- a) What new products or services can be developed and profit from by using AI or ChatGPT?
-- b) What do you need to equip yourself with to compete with AI chatbots in the future job market?
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for two times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee, or NT$1000 for students.