Listening Practice 4

Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Listening Practice 4

文章 Kooper »

Here comes the long-awaited listening practice! :mrgreen: Feel free to post your incomplete or error-filled transcript of one of the news. Let's work together recognizing all the words in this five-minute NPR hourly news summary! Here you go with the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz0bH8 ... sp=sharing :sun:
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: Listening Practice 4

文章 Kooper »

Let me get the ball rolling...

4:20 ~ end
A Volkswagen engineer in Detroit is going(?) to cooperate with investigators, looking into the auto makers’ emission cheating scandal. 62-year-old James Lane has also pleaded guilty to one counter-conspiracy(?) to defraud the government. VW admits installing the software in some two million diesel cars sold in the US.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper 寫:Let me get the ball rolling...

A Volkswagen engineer in Detroit is going(?) to cooperate with investigators, looking into the auto makers’ emission cheating scandal. 62-year-old James Lane has also pleaded guilty to one counter-conspiracy(?) to defraud the government. VW admits installing the software in some two million diesel cars sold in the US.
1. in Detroit "disgreed" to cooperate (I am not sure)

2. guilty to one "count" of conspiracy to defraud( 我查了字典, conspiracy to defraud 好像是法律上的慣用語, =a secret plan to cheat someone, made by two or more people)

Kooper, this NPR News 可能是因為照稿念的原因, 我覺得速度比CNN播新聞的說話速度快了非常多
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

"the united states and russia have announced a plan calling for ceasefire in syria as soon as monday. if the truce holds.."

i'm stuck there. this listening practice is way too difficult la~ especially when there's no script to correct our answers..

:cccry:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Luis Ko 寫:"the united states and russia have announced a plan calling for ceasefire in syria as soon as monday. if the truce holds.."

i'm stuck there. this listening practice is way too difficult la~ especially when there's no script to correct our answers..

Hi Luis, this one is challenging. That's why it requires joint efforts among us to get the whole contents. :ssmile: Here I adds what I've got about the rest of the sentence.
0:06~0:59
"The United States and Russia have announced a plan calling for ceasefire in Syria as soon as Monday. If the truce holds and other conditions aren't bad(?), NPR's xxx reports, the two nations plan to coordinate efforts to defeat ISIS and the Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria ."
最後由 Kooper 於 週六 9月 17, 2016 11:41 am 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Michael-liu 寫:

1. in Detroit "disagreed" to cooperate (I am not sure)
Hi Michael, it does sound like "disagree" to me but if the engineer disagreed to cooperate with investigators, he will not "also" pleaded guilty. The contents don't feel right if the word is disagree. :? Here I updates the transctipt with your input.
A Volkswagen engineer in Detroit is going(?) to cooperate with investigators, looking into the auto makers’ emission cheating scandal. 62-year-old James Lane has also pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to defraud the government. VW admits installing the software in some two million diesel cars sold in the U
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper 寫:
Luis Ko 寫:"the united states and russia have announced a plan calling for ceasefire in syria as soon as monday. if the truce holds.."

Hi Luis, this one is challenging. That's why it requires joint efforts among us to get the whole contents. :ssmile: Here I adds what I've got about the rest of the sentence.
"The United States and Russia have announced a plan calling for ceasefire in Syria as soon as Monday. If the truce holds and other conditions aren't bad(?), NPR's xxx reports, the two nations plan to coordinate efforts to defeat ISIS and the Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria ."
and other conditions are met
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Michael-liu 寫:
and other conditions are met

wow~ (clapping)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

0:06~0:57
The United States and Russia have announced a plan calling for ceasefire in Syria as soon as Monday. If the truce holds and other conditions are met, NPR's xxx reports, the two nations plan to coordinate efforts to defeat ISIS and the Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria.

Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian foreign minister xxx said implementation will begin on September 12 with the sussession of hostilities between Ragen and the opposition. Under the deal the Syrian air force will not fly combat missions in areas where the opposition is present, areas which would be designated by the US and Russia. And both Regen and opposition must allow access for aid. Xxx said if the truce and aid access hold for seven days, the US and Russia will create a joint information center to coordinate air strikes on ISIS and the Syrian Al Qaeda affiliate.
最後由 Kooper 於 週四 9月 29, 2016 10:48 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper 寫:
Luis Ko 寫:
Michael-liu 寫: and other conditions are met
wow~ (clapping)
Marvelous! Michael, how could you get the word!?
The United States and Russia have announced a plan calling for ceasefire in Syria as soon as Monday. If the truce holds and other conditions are met, NPR's xxx reports, the two nations plan to coordinate efforts to defeat ISIS and the Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria . ....
就單純是聽出來的 再加上前後文的推斷吧 而且這題她發音發的蠻清楚的

By the way, "disagree" 那一題,我也知道不合邏輯,maybe we have to ask Kat for the correct answer 
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Kooper 寫:
Michael-liu 寫:

1. in Detroit "disagreed" to cooperate (I am not sure)
Hi Michael, it does sound like "disagree" to me but if the engineer disagreed to cooperate with investigators, he will not "also" pleaded guilty. The contents don't feel right if the word is disagree. :? Here I updates the transctipt with your input.
A Volkswagen engineer in Detroit is going(?) to cooperate with investigators, looking into the auto makers’ emission cheating scandal. 62-year-old James Lane has also pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to defraud the government. VW admits installing the software in some two million diesel cars sold in the U
how about "does agree".. :lol:
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

][/hr]
A Volkswagen engineer in Detroit is going(?) to cooperate with investigators, looking into the auto makers’ emission cheating scandal. 62-year-old James Lane has also pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to defraud the government. VW admits installing the software in some two million diesel cars sold in the U[/quote]

Would it be "discerned" ? 
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Michael-liu 寫:
Kooper 寫: 4:20 ~ end
I think it is "just agreed to cooperate with investigators." :sun: Do you agree?
最後由 Kooper 於 週四 9月 29, 2016 10:57 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Kooper 寫:...
0:06~0:57
The United States and Russia have announced a plan calling for ceasefire in Syria as soon as Monday. If the truce holds and other conditions are met, NPR's xxx reports, the two nations plan to coordinate efforts to defeat ISIS and the Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria.

Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian foreign minister xxx said implementation will begin on September 12 with the succession(?) of hostilities between regime and the opposition. Under the deal the Syrian air force will not fly combat missions in areas where the opposition is present, areas which would be designated by the US and Russia. And both regime and opposition must allow access for aid. Xxx said if the truce and aid access hold for seven days, the US and Russia will create a joint information center to coordinate air strikes on ISIS and the Syrian Al Qaeda affiliate.
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper 寫:
Michael-liu 寫:
Kooper 寫: 4:20 ~ end
I think it is "just agreed to cooperate with investigators." :sun: Do you agree?
Disagree. I think it is a word starting with D ( I am not sure, though)

It may be "in Detroit is discreet to cooperate....."
最後由 Michael-liu 於 週六 10月 01, 2016 7:03 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
回覆文章