YOYO-ISG 110227 Transcribing NPR News

Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

YOYO-ISG 110227 Transcribing NPR News

文章 Kooper »

Dear ISG members,

Please transcribe one-minute news from the duration you are allocated.

NPR News 02-20-2011 9AM ET: http://www.badongo.com/audio/25118725

JJ: 0:00 - 2:30
Michael: 0:30 - 3:00
Jackson: 1:00 - 3:30
Janet: 1:30 - 4:00
Kooper: 2:00 - 4:30
For others who would like to give it a try: 2:30 - 5:00
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: YOYO-ISG 110227 Transcribing NPR News

文章 Michael-liu »

1:42 - 2:40

Afghanistan authority said 40 people died yesterday in a Taliban attack. NPR XXX reports a team of suicide bombers also wounded 72 people in the attack of a bank in the eastern city of XXX. Five suicide bombers wearing Afghan army uniforms infiltrated a branch of Carbo bank where , Afghan believes, soldiers lined up to get their salaries. They began shooting and several detonated their explosive vests. Additional security forces arrived and they seized the bank where several sergeants__________ themselves inside. Afghan official said the casualty mounted because none of the soldiers or police had their weapons inside the bank with them. Authority said the Afghan army uniform also confused police. It’s possible one of the wounded suicide bombers was picked up by paramedics and then detonated his bomb. Afghan authority said they took one of the attackers alive_____Afghan national. They also said the Taliban fighter who planned the attack has been arrested.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Here is my transcript. :sun:
3:00 - 3:56
Strong winds combined with mild temperatures and extremely dry conditions along the east coast have touched off dozens of fires this weekend. As NPR’s xxx reports, the wind even ruined the national landmark in the nation’s capital. Winds gusting at 55 miles per hour were strong enough to disput(?) the national Christmas tree in two. The 42 foot Colorado blue spruce has been in place next to the south lawn of the White House since 1978. Bill xxx, the spokesman for the National Park Service, told WJLA TV the tree will be replaced. “Once this tree is removed in mouched(?), we will prepare other grounds and we will move to bring in a successive tree. Xxx says another tree has already been picked out. He says it will be moved and planted on the Ellipse sometime this spring.

Maryland state police had to shut down interstate 95 in both directions for a time at a wild fire at a ____ plant jumped into the medium of the highway.
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Michael-liu 寫:1:42 - 2:40

Afghanistan authority said 40 people died yesterday in a Taliban attack. NPR XXX reports a team of suicide bombers also wounded 72 people in the attack of a bank in the eastern city of XXX. Five suicide bombers wearing Afghan army uniforms infiltrated a branch of Carbo bank where , Afghan believes, soldiers lined up to get their salaries. They began shooting and several detonated their explosive vests. Additional security forces arrived and they seized the bank where several sergeants__________ themselves inside. Afghan official said the casualty mounted because none of the soldiers or police had their weapons inside the bank with them. Authority said the Afghan army uniform also confused police. It’s possible one of the wounded suicide bombers was picked up by paramedics and then detonated his bomb. Afghan authority said they took one of the attackers alive_____Afghan national. They also said the Taliban fighter who planned the attack has been arrested.
Afghanistan authority said 40 people died yesterday in a Taliban attack. NPR XXX reports a team of suicide bombers also wounded 72 people in the attack of a bank in the eastern city of XXX. Five suicide bombers wearing Afghan army uniforms infiltrated a branch of Carbo bank where Afghan polices and soldiers lined up to get their salaries. They began shooting and several detonated their explosive vests. Additional security forces arrived and they seized the bank where several insurgents had barricaded themselves inside. Afghan official said the casualty mounted because none of the soldiers or police had their weapons inside the bank with them. Authority said the Afghan army uniform also confused police. It’s possible one of the wounded suicide bombers was picked up by paramedics and then detonated his bomb. Afghan authority said they took one of the attackers alive (?) Palestanian national. They also said the Taliban fighter who planned the attack has been arrested.
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Kooper 寫:Here is my transcript. :sun:
3:00 - 3:56
Strong winds combined with mild temperatures and extremely dry conditions along the east coast have touched off dozens of fires this weekend. As NPR’s xxx reports, the wind even ruined the national landmark in the nation’s capital. Winds gusting at 55 miles per hour were strong enough to disput(?) the national Christmas tree in two. The 42 foot Colorado blue spruce has been in place next to the south lawn of the White House since 1978. Bill xxx, the spokesman for the National Park Service, told WJLA TV the tree will be replaced. “Once this tree is removed in mouched(?), we will prepare other grounds and we will move to bring in a successive tree. Xxx says another tree has already been picked out. He says it will be moved and planted on the Ellipse sometime this spring.

Maryland state police had to shut down interstate 95 in both directions for a time at a wild fire at a ____ plant jumped into the medium of the highway.
Strong winds combined with mild temperatures and extremely dry conditions along the east coast have touched off dozens of fires this weekend. As NPR’s xxx reports, the wind even ruined the national landmark in the nation’s capital. Winds gusting at 55 miles per hour were strong enough to spew the national Christmas tree in two. The 42 foot Colorado blue spruce has been in place next to the south lawn of the White House since 1978. Bill xxx, the spokesman for the National Park Service, told WJLA TV the tree will be replaced. “Once this tree is removed and mulched, we will prepare other grounds and we will move to bring in a successive tree. Xxx says another tree has already been picked out. He says it will be moved and planted on the Ellipse sometime this spring.

Maryland state police had to shut down interstate 95 in both directions for a time after a wild fire at a mulched plant jumped into the medium of the highway.
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Hi Luis,

It's really great to see your post here. :ssmile:

I think "mulch" is the right word. It appears to be a gardening term. I guess that's why I've never heard of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulch

Unless there is another meaning that is not mentioned in the dictionary, I don't think any meanings listed below could quite fit the sentence. It also cannot explain what's the meaning of "spew something in two."

Definitions of SPEW by Longman Dictionary:
1. to flow out of something quickly in large quantities, or to make something flow out in this way
2. to say a lot of bad or negative things very quickly
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

Hey guys,

You are all so good! Here're just a few things to add (sorry but don't really have time to go over the finer points :mrgreen: ):

1. Afghan authority said they took one of the attackers alive, a Pakistani national.

2. Winds gusting up to 55 miles per hour were strong enough to split the national Christmas tree in two.

3. Maryland state police had to shut down interstate 95 in both directions for a time after a wild fire at a mulch plant jumped into the medium of the highway.

A mulch plant is a factory that makes mulch - organic or man-made materials used as a cover over the soil. In my Michigan garden I typically spend over $100 a year on mulch to cut down weeds or winter over my roses.

Feel free to ask if you have questions.

Kat
最後由 Kat C 於 週六 2月 26, 2011 5:27 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

hey Kooper, i'd like to study harder than before since i really think my English sucks, sometimes :ccry:

and, thank Kat for giving the correct words :mrgreen:
jacksonwang
YOYO member
文章: 42
註冊時間: 週五 2月 27, 2009 11:14 am

文章 jacksonwang »

4: 00 ~5:00
Here is my transcript.

The strong winds along east coast are causing problems for fire fighters in New York City. Event xxx of the apartment house fire in Poclain of fire department spokesmen says at least 20 fire fighters have been injured. On the west coast, winter storm has sparked worry of flooding and snows following the mountain surround Sfrancisco bay area has been keeping crew busy. A core producer, the film bases on C.S. Lewis Narnia book has died in New York City. Para More was 39 years old, police said More was found on countries in bathroom of his apartment in Manhattan Thursday morning. The cause of death is not clear yet but Fariplay is not suspected.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Hi Kat,

It's so nice of you to tell us the right words. Before in this section there were always words that none of us managed to recognize, which was kind of frustrating but is not the case any more. :ssmile:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Even with the word SPLIT in my mind, I still couldn't recognize it when listening. I kept hearing the vowel "u" not "i".... :(
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

jacksonwang 寫:4: 00 ~5:00
Here is my transcript.

The strong winds along east coast are causing problems for fire fighters in New York City. Event xxx of the apartment house fire in Poclain of fire department spokesmen says at least 20 fire fighters have been injured. On the west coast, winter storm has sparked worry of flooding and snows following the mountain surround Sfrancisco bay area has been keeping crew busy. A core producer, the film bases on C.S. Lewis Narnia book has died in New York City. Para More was 39 years old, police said More was found on countries in bathroom of his apartment in Manhattan Thursday morning. The cause of death is not clear yet but Fariplay is not suspected.
The strong winds along the east coast are causing problems for fire fighters in New York City, even the flames of an apartment house fire in Brooklyn. The fire department spokesman says at least 20 fire fighters have been injured. On the west coast, the winter storm has sparked worries of flooding and snow falling in the mountains around the San Francisco bay area has been keeping crews busy. A core producer of the film based on C.S. Lewis' Narnia books has died in New York City. Para More was 39 years old, police said More was found unconscious in the bathroom of his apartment in Manhattan Thursday morning. The cause of death is not clear yet but foul play is not suspected.
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

Excellent! Only a few tiny spots:

1. The strong winds along the East Coast are causing problems for fire fighters in New York City. They fanned the flames of an apartment house fire in Brooklyn.

2. A co-producer of the films based on C.S. Lewis's Narnia books has died in New York City. Perry Moore was 39 years old...

Kat
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

I want to try the part that was allocated to JJ as I think my part is already covered by others. :)

0:00~1:00
Anti-government protest spreading in North Africa, Morocco, is the latest country to be hit with demonstration. NPR xxx is in the Maraken, capital of Rhebok. He said the demonstrators are demanding greater democracy. There is a king xxx, he is actually fairly popular in the personal basis. But people here are demanding Maraken parliament really assert itself more and be given more power. There are calling for constitutional reforms to limit the power of ______ and really make the parliament more of a democratic institution. There is also concerns about corruption around the royal family. NPR xxx reporting from Morocco's capital. The march of Morocco has been peaceful. But things are different in Libya. Our witnesses are reporting Chaos from the eastern city in Gaza. The BBC xxx reports said yet anti-government protest appears to be concentrated along the Northern coast of the country,and not in the capital.
jacksonwang
YOYO member
文章: 42
註冊時間: 週五 2月 27, 2009 11:14 am

文章 jacksonwang »

Hi Kat, Kooper,

Many thanks for your correction. You guys are awesome. :ssmile:
回覆文章